Author Topic: Want to add rear dif axle to my 00í Montero - need hekp  (Read 2429 times)

Flooder

• I'm new here!
Want to add rear dif axle to my 00í Montero - need hekp
« on: March 14, 2018, 03:35:35 AM »
Can anyone share any tips and how to pull the rear axel. Iím going to look at a 99í Montero today to see if it has the rear dif. I have a 2000 mont endeavor just like yours and would like to add it. Was it only the winter package that had the rear dif? Are there cables I need to pull as well that are attchated to the rear axle? I saw you mentioned something about the computer above the rear speaker... do I take that as well?

I have no idea what Iím doing out there so any advice would not by over my head or to much.

What does a rear diff look likeq?
What tools do I need to remove an axle? Can I do this myself?
What parts in additional to the rear axle do I need?
Bolts, hardware, wires, switches, comps?   

I noticed in my Montero I have a wire harness On the driver side just next to the automatic shifter where the rear dif lock button goes on other Monteroís that isnít plugged in to anything??? Is this for the rear dif already? Itís just hanging out under the center console.

Crumb

Re: Want to add rear dif axle to my 00í Montero - need hekp
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 04:17:26 PM »
 It's not a really difficult job but the 3rd Member is very heavy and this job is quite the task for the beginner. I recommend buying the complete axle and everything to support the locker function (switch, compressor and computer) as this will be the easiest way but also the heaviest and bulkiest. Make sure your gear ratios match but a '99 and '00 should be the same 4.27 ratio.

Flooder

• I'm new here!
Re: Want to add rear dif axle to my 00í Montero - need help
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:53:39 AM »
Hi guys,

Just found a guy that has a 1995 Montero SR. Do these have the rear dif locker?
Would this be a good swap for my 2000 Montero.

What happens if my gear ratios donít match?

Also, this car is a daily driver for me and Iím happy with the gear ratio now. It has stock tires on it but will be adding 31 10.5 15 soon.

I grabbed the dif lock switch and have it in my car already a d it plugged into then existing wire harness that was sitting behind the dash. Where do I find the compressor and computer?

Thanks guys!

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 09:42:02 AM »
Hi guys,

Also, this car is a daily driver for me and Iím happy with the gear ratio now. It has stock tires on it but will be adding 31 10.5 15 soon.

I grabbed the dif lock switch and have it in my car already a d it plugged into then existing wire harness that was sitting behind the dash. Where do I find the compressor and computer?

Thanks guys!

It will have the locking diff, but a different ratio.  You'd need to either swap ring gears between the two to match your front, or pull the front out out of the SR as well.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

CharlieN

• Collector of Mitsubishi vehicles dating back to 71
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 09:52:41 AM »
The compressor mounts in the right hatch under the rear seat, outboard side of the compartment.
The control unit is above that behind the side panel.
The switch location is the front face of the center console, not in the dash. Just to clarify.

If you swap in the '95 axle change the front as well so the ratios match. Technically also change the gear driving the speedometer sender in the back of the Tcase.
What happens if you drive with unmatched gears, if driven in 4hi not locked, you will burn out the limited slip in the transfer case pretty quickly.
If you drive it in locked 4WD, you will not enjoy it at all.
Regards, Charlie N

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks guys!

Since you're pretty new to this...  please be aware that this is all actually a pretty big job.    Some of us do it casually because we've been at this for decades and it's all sort of muscle memory for us at this point but it's not a beginner job unless you really want to learn the hard way.

So first thing,  your front and rear gear ratios have to match, period.    If you want details about why we can talk about that, but they have to match.

Second,  you need to get the driver (left) side axle shaft when you get the locker.    People always forget that part,  so in this world there are now more lockers than there are axle shafts to go with the lockers (because they leave the shaft,  it goes off and gets crushed along with the rest of the vehicle.. )  .     You can't use the axle shaft from a non-locking rear diff. 

Finally,  if your truck has ABS you need an axle shaft from a truck with the same ABS tone ring as yours has.     Some earlier trucks did not have ABS (it was optional)  and earlier trucks that did have ABS had a larger tone ring,  which not only won't work with your ABS sensor but also may not even clear the axle housing because it's much bigger.   

So..  if you can get the locker from that 95 you're looking at - by all means, please get it.    It might not be what you need for your vehicle but it's valuable - particularly if you also get the left side axle shaft.    Do not disassemble the parking brake assembly on the left axle shaft,  pull the whole assembly together it's better that way.        You won't be able to drop it into your Montero but you can sell it,  someone else will definitely be wanting it.     You will definitely be able to sell the axle shaft,  like I said there are more lockers in this world than shafts.. probably a few people have lockers sitting around that they can't install until they find the shaft for it.

As for the actual job of pulling it:   first drain the axle into a pan or whatever.      If you don't have an impact tool, loosen the lugnuts on the wheels while they're on the ground.

Raise up the vehicle by the chassis until the rear wheels come off the ground,  support it safely.    Remove the rear wheels.     Disconnect the drive shaft from the pinion flange and ratchet-strap it up to the muffler so it's not in your face.     

Remove the four bolts that hold the brake assembly to the axle tube.   Both sides.    Unbolt the retainers that hold the e-brake cables in place and disconnect them from the front where they attach to the handbrake assembly.         Disconnect the rear brake hydraulic hoses and let them drain into a container.   About a cup of brake fluid will probably come out.   Carefully remove the ABS sensors (if present)  - don't break 'em,  new ones are $$$$

Now pull the axle shafts straight out from the axle assembly.   You have to pull the driver side one all the way anyway,  and you can pull the passenger one all the way out or just like 6 inches.   But not less than that.

Next, remove all of the nuts around the 3rd member.    Attach a ratchet strap between the pinion flange and the chassis (the transmission support is a good place..) and click the strap down pretty tight so that there is constant tension on the pinion flange.      Now,  get out from under the vehicle and verify that it is in fact well and safely supported because the next thing you need to do is kick the pinion flange from the side with the bottom of your foot,  push sideways on it to break the seal between the 3rd member and the axle housing.      Once that has broken free,  remove the ratchet strap and you can lift the 3rd member out carefully and set it on the ground,  pinion-down to prevent dirt from entering the gear mechanism.     Be aware that the 3rd member is very heavy... it's larger than a bowling ball and made of steel without much air in it,  so it's heavy.

If you are not a physically strong individual this is not a job for you,  I'm fairly sturdy and I still have to exercise quite a bit of caution on this part because there's not a ton of room under a truck that's just supported by stands,  and catching a finger under this when it falls will cost you that finger.    It also is important not to let it fall violently because the locker diaphragm is not built to take impacts and if it gets hit then it will be broken and replacing that is costly. 

jaccox

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 06:07:21 AM »
In case you aren't aware it's gonna be heavy lol :P, but for real like squash your melon heavy. Shoulders ache for days after wrestling with them heavy. It's not a job for the weak but rather the persistent or at least have friends willing to help. If you are removing the 3rd member vs the whole axle you'll need the air locker driver side axle. It really is best to just grab the whole axle unless you are very dedicated to pain and misery. Again if you must take only the 3rd member bring a ratchet strap to use to break the factory RTV loose because it's on there real tight. connect the flange to the frame mount then ratchet away until you can fit a screwdriver. of course you'll need to remove axle shafts which is a job in itself i you want the 3rd member. In case i missed it just take the whole axle it's a lot less work.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.