Author Topic: Electric Fan Conversion Write Up  (Read 3399 times)

RockyMountainMS

• Mountain Trails and Mountain Roads
Electric Fan Conversion Write Up
« on: March 23, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
Some of you may have experienced overheating while off roading in your MS. Mine would do it while climbing long steep hills in low gear. The belt driven fan just wasn't turning fast enough to pull enough air through the radiator to cool the engine effectively. I went through every avenue trying to figure out what was causing my overheating issues. I changed all of my sensors, my thermostat, the water pump (with my timing belt), coolant flush, inspected and cleaned condenser,  and even a pressure test to see if I had a head gasket leak. Nothing helped in the slightest. If you are having similar issues, this might be your answer. This setup has been tested, and it works great. I have not had any issues overheating since I did this conversion.

I conducted tons of research, mostly off of jeep forums, I collected the parts, and finally was able to perform the task. I didn't really know exactly what I was doing, so this was a bit of a task for me. It took me about 6 hours to do everything, though if you are experienced, you could probably do it faster than I did. The good news is that with everything, you are looking at about $270-$300 for all the parts. That seemed pretty cheap to me. If you have questions feel free to ask!

I replaced my radiator, that is optional of course, but I figured that since I was in there, I might as well replace what looks to be the original radiator (130,000 miles). I bought a Ford Contour fan (3400 CFM) which fits perfectly over the stock radiator. I used 1/2" weather stripping tape and applied it to the radiator where the Ford Contour fan shroud would touch the radiator. I didn't want the shroud the rub against the radiator so this was my solution, it also helps to create seal allowing the fans to pull more air through the radiator. You can cut the extra mounting tabs off the Ford Contour fan shroud if you want, I did because I like things to look good and there was no reason to have the tabs sticking out in the way. I used the the stock MS shroud bolts and mount locations for the brackets I made out of the aluminum bar in the parts list. As you can see in the picture, I just drilled my own holes and used the M-6 bolts and nuts to mount the brackets I made to the shroud.

To attach the joint pipe radiator sensor, you just cut into the upper radiator hose. I like this much more than other sensors that you just stick into the radiator fins because it is much more accurate.

I bypassed the resistor on the Ford Contour fan and just linked the two fans so that they turn on at the same time. The thermostatic fan controller came with its own built in relay that can only handle 30 amps which isn't enough for this fan setup. Ford requires a 60 amp fuse to handle this fan so I built the system to handle more than 60 amps. That is where the other relay came in, which can handle 80 amps. This protects the thermostatic fan relay from getting overloaded. There there is also a 60 amp fuse between the battery and the main relay. This should help protect the setup from voltage spikes that can be associated with big fans like this. If there is a spike more than 60 amps, the fuse will pop and prevent damage to the system. I also wired in the power to thermostatic fan controller (yellow wire) to the wiper blade motor harness (blue wire) which is activated via the ignition. That allows the fans to turn off with the truck. If you run the power to the battery, the fans will continue to run until the heat drops below the the threshold that you set for it. I set mine up to turn on when the water pump comes on. I did that by turning the vehicle on with the radiator cap off, just make sure your MS is cold when you do this. I waited until I could see that the water pump had turned on, then I adjusted the thermostatic fan controller until the fans powered on too. That way they come on together much like a stock electric fan setup would work.

Here is the wiring diagram:

As you can see here, I just used pre-threaded holes in the engine bay on the drivers side to mount my relays. I still have to tidy things up to make it look nice.

One other thing that you will want to do is seal your relays with silicone. I found out how important this was after it had snowed and water dripped down the hood and into the engine bay right on my relays. My fans were running with the vehicle off because the water was in the relay. Now that I sealed the relays, I have had no issues. You can get a small tube of silicone at any parts store. Just pop the relay cover off and put the silicon along the sides. Then put the cover back on. Try not to get any silicone on the relay itself. That's about it! I hope this helps!

Parts You Will Need:

2- Ford Wire Harness Connector Radiator Cooling Contour

o www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040D0MCE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dewhel Aluminum Black Water Temp Meter Temperature Gauge Joint Pipe Radiator Sensor Adaptor Clamps 38mm
o www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018FY12CW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TEMCo 12 V 60/80 Amp Bosch Style S Relay with Harness Socket Automotive 2 YEAR WARRANTY
o www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QW3O4QU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hayden Automotive 3651 Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control
o www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C39C72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MWGears CN-023 8 Gauge (8-AWG) Copper Crimp Ring Terminals, 4-Pack
o www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRBMHLU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Denso 221-3300 Radiator
o www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049GEA34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jex Electronics In-Line Car MAXI Blade Fuse Holder Waterproof 8AWG Upto 70A 12V/24V/32V DC
o www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AKDHXXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TYC 620750 Ford/Mercury Replacement Radiator/Condenser Cooling Fan Assembly
o www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYPSEQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

M-6 Metric Bolts (x4)
M-6 Metric Nuts (x4)
Washer (x8)
Crush Washer (x4)
Weather stripping (tape)
Aluminum Bar 1/8 x 1
6 of red and black wire (8g to 10g)
Tube of silicone
1999 3000GT VR-4 (45,000 miles)
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT
2017 Chevy Sonic (DD FTW)

RyanY

• I'm new here!
Re: Electric Fan Conversion Write Up
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 03:18:42 PM »
Nice work and a beautiful write-up!

I'm afraid that you may have shot yourself in the foot with that new radiator though - most aftermarket radiators don't have the same cooling capacity as your original radiator does. I've got one in my 95 SR that won't keep the truck cool while towing, where my stock one didn't have a problem. It would be a wise decision to have your original radiator rodded out at a radiator shop - it will certainly last longer than the plastic tanks on your replacement.

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:21:42 PM »
Thanks! I sure hope I didn't. I took the truck on a pretty good road trip from Colorado to the Arizona desert. It was an 800 mile trip. We drove around for a week there and even took it out off roading for an entire day and then drove the 800 mile trip back. No issues. It is easy enough to change out if I need to in the future.
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

Crumb

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:41:36 PM »
Nicely done!

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »
Thank you!
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

RaptorReed

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »
Time to go visit the junkyard tomorrow.

Edit: On 2nd thought, this is for  Montero Sport isn't it? If it is, you guys have a different sized radiator than a Gen 2, a few inches bigger in Length and width.
Tim
1994 Monterp SR
1992 Galant VR-4
1988 Starion
1976 Colt Galant

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 06:49:38 AM »
This write up is for the Montero Sport. All you would have to do is find a fan that fits your radiator. Everything else should work the same. You might need a different sized joint pipe radiator sensor. I don't know what the diameter of your upper radiator hose is.
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

RaptorReed

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 03:02:37 PM »
Gen 2s have 31.75mm outlets on the radiator vs your 35mm outlets. I have been looking at doing a Flex-a-lite fan on my SR, as they are close to being the same size.
Tim
1994 Monterp SR
1992 Galant VR-4
1988 Starion
1976 Colt Galant

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 06:52:13 PM »
You should do it! I think the fan conversion is 100% worth the effort!
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

RaptorReed

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »
I got the Taurus 2 speed fan, so that will be my project this friday, is getting that to fit. It's the same size as a Gen 2 Montero Radiator core, so we shall see. The fitment part is the only thing that will require a writeup as there are countless writeups for this fan into just about everything as far as wiring goes.
Tim
1994 Monterp SR
1992 Galant VR-4
1988 Starion
1976 Colt Galant

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 02:16:14 PM »
Write it up when you figure it out man!!!
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

RaptorReed

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 11:53:53 AM »
Apparently a couple Gen 1 and Gen 2 owners have already done it lol. The Gen 2 owner aka 99Monstero on Instagram made his own shroud for the fan.
Tim
1994 Monterp SR
1992 Galant VR-4
1988 Starion
1976 Colt Galant

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
I am going to be hitting a pretty hard trail tomorrow which will put this cooling setup to the test. It is going to be in the low 90's tomorrow too. Hope all goes well!
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT