Author Topic: Custom Hood Scoop Mod!  (Read 5017 times)

RockyMountainMS

• Mountain Trails and Mountain Roads
Custom Hood Scoop Mod!
« on: March 23, 2018, 09:35:42 AM »
To assist in cooling, I installed a hood scoop from a diesel Isuzu Trooper from the UK. My hopes is that it would force cool air in and push some air out of the engine bay through the undercarriage at higher speeds and allow heat to dissipate out the engine bay when crawling. Might not really do a lot, but I really like the way it looks. I primed, painted it black, wet sanded, polished, and waxed it before installation. It kind of gives the MS a 4Runner look, but I like it a lot!

The scariest part of this job was cutting a big hole into the hood. I will post pictures of the other side soon. I used this awesome tool called a double head sheet nibbler (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GML4BS?tag=viglink20248-20). You just attach it to a drill and it effortlessly chews through the metal nice and clean. I practiced with it a little before using it on the hood on a small sheet of HVAC sheet metal I found in my basement. I cut around the structural parts of the hood leaving them in place. Here is the link to the one I bought if interested.

1999 3000GT VR-4 (45,000 miles)
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT
2017 Chevy Sonic (DD FTW)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
Re: Custom Hood Scoop Mod!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:38:13 AM »
That's a high pressure area, so you'd ideally want a vent/extractor there rather than a scoop/intake style, in terms of performance.

But you're right, it DOES look cool.  :)
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 10:03:45 AM »
I hope the increase in flow causes an air current or vortex that pulls extra air through the radiator, otherwise you've essentially opened an inlet that wont be cooling the radiator but will introduce pressure into the engine bay and it's only exit is where the airflow from the radiator usually exits.

But, like I said, hopefully the airflow draws more airflow!

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:22:01 AM »
It probably isn't the best for performance. I was going to route it to the air intake. I could still to that, I just have to come up with a way to do it. I thought about adding small vents on each side of the scoop. But I don't know if the hood would look too "busy". I didn't overheat on the trails last weekend, so it doesn't seem so cause any problems!
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

RyanY

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 03:14:25 PM »
It looks really, REALLY good, but you might want to tape some strips of yarn to the edge of the scoop and see what the airflow is doing while you're driving. As mentioned above, introducing high pressure air into the engine compartment at that location can essentially pressurize the underhood area and reduce the amount of airflow through your radiator to the point that you have cooling issues while driving down the highway. Ideally you want your underhood pressure to be as low as possible to pull more air in through the radiator

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 04:23:44 PM »
It probably isn't the best for performance. I was going to route it to the air intake. I could still to that, I just have to come up with a way to do it. I thought about adding small vents on each side of the scoop. But I don't know if the hood would look too "busy". I didn't overheat on the trails last weekend, so it doesn't seem so cause any problems!

That's good to hear, but, as Ryan explains above; it's the highway speeds that can introduce a problem.

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 08:07:16 PM »
I didn't have any issues on the highway either, it was an hour and a half drive to get to the trail from my house, mostly highway. Everything seems to work fine so far.
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

Crumb

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 08:40:45 PM »
 tape the hole shut then record temps before and after. I'll mail you an IR thermometer if you don't have one, science!

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »
I can do that! I don't have one of those thermometers though...
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

Crumb

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 10:09:45 AM »
Pm me your address and you will.

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
Sent!
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

MudRaider

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 06:49:46 AM »
Those IR thermometers are about $20 at Walmart.

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 11:02:50 AM »
I like to always check and see how the factory did things, since they have the r&d department that I so admire. Or at least did...

The Sport of course was the Challenger in other markets, and came with the 4M40 diesel with top-mount IC... soooo... here's how the factory fitted intake looked: 

Obviously they worked out the airflow to bring the max exposure to the fins of the intercooler, but it sits further down and to one side. Your needs are different but it's a good comparo...?

Crumb

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
 I forgot about this, any results?

Giovanni

• I'm new here!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 04:09:43 PM »
Just out of curiosity, everyone is saying as a scoop, it may introduce high pressure. What if it was flipped so the opening was facing the windshield and used as an exhaust vent instead?