Author Topic: Noticed crank pulley wobble during oil change. Need suggestions asap.  (Read 4128 times)

Cosmos99

• I'm new here!
So while doing my first oil change on my newest to me 1999 Gen 2.5 Montero I noticed that the crank pulley is wobbling but does not feel loose. I am hoping the crank is not bad.  I am attaching a video and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. The video link is attached below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RTTjrptJgPFTsxGMnbx40aA_0h00iBHw/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Ed
Gen 1 1987 Radier 2.6 ( sold )
94 Montero LS with 93k miles
99 Montero overland ready.

Cosmos99

• I'm new here!
Re: Noticed crank pulley wobble during oil change. Need suggestions asap.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:41:45 PM »
I noticed in my records that the harmonic balancer was done 30k miles ago along with timing belt. I am calling the dealer tomorrow to see if they have the updated bolt in stock. If I need a new harmonic balancer is OEM the only way to go?

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 05:19:57 AM »
There are other options out there for a harmonic balancer aftermarket but honestly OEM mitsu is the way to go.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

Cosmos99

• I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:41:51 AM »
There are other options out there for a harmonic balancer aftermarket but honestly OEM mitsu is the way to go.

Calling dealer to order it today along with new crank bolt.  Now I need to just find a pulley holder tool or make one so I can replace them.

Canyonero

• I need a nap
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 01:25:48 PM »
Don't forget the new washer with the new crank bolt.
1995 Montero SR
2" Body Lift
35"x 12" Cooper Discover STT tires
Currently dead but working on it.

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS - Daily Driver

Cosmos99

• I'm new here!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:02:22 PM »
Don't forget the new washer with the new crank bolt.

I was surprised to find out that my local dealer had the updated bolt and washer in stock for $27.00. I was checking my records from the previous owner and it states that the harmonic balancer and bolt were replaced 35k ago. I had a few min today to check play in the balancer and didn't seem to notice any so that seems to be good. Oddly enough the crank bolt that was replaced was never updated.  It is the long original style one. Makes me wonder what else the shop that worked on it failed to address properly.

Crumb

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:57:31 PM »
 Good catch!

RyanY

• I'm new here!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:52:33 PM »
It sounds to me like the shop that did the work didn't replace the harmonic balancer or the bolt. I'd be going back to them and asking them to complete the repairs that they obviously skipped the first time. If they argue that they did the work, ask them how they managed to install a new replacement bolt of a design that was superceded by a newer design at least 8-10 years ago.

Cosmos99

• I'm new here!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 07:29:52 AM »
It sounds to me like the shop that did the work didn't replace the harmonic balancer or the bolt. I'd be going back to them and asking them to complete the repairs that they obviously skipped the first time. If they argue that they did the work, ask them how they managed to install a new replacement bolt of a design that was superceded by a newer design at least 8-10 years ago.

unfortunately that is out of the question since the shop that did it is 1000 miles away. I will alert the previous owner so he will know not to take his vehicles to that shop anymore.

henry510

• cranky bolt!
I am wondering what the repaired harmonic balancer looks like in operation?

I had a crank bolt break off at highway speed and am concerned the crank may have bent.

Here is a video of the new (OEM) balancer at idle. It has a noticeable wobble but perhaps not as pronounced as the video you posted. Is this motion acceptable or normal?

(normal) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hA_-UKn2z_KS0-cqQTP5nbwb4uhSOZr2/view?usp=sharing

(slow motion) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vnPPvsrU_DvEBqLgbDtx3Grva--cK_zQ/view?usp=sharing

Any comment on the above videos would be appreciated or even better post a video of a 'normal' balancer?
1997 Montero SR- 242K and counting

jaccox

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 11:40:29 AM »
I am wondering what the repaired harmonic balancer looks like in operation?

I had a crank bolt break off at highway speed and am concerned the crank may have bent.

Here is a video of the new (OEM) balancer at idle. It has a noticeable wobble but perhaps not as pronounced as the video you posted. Is this motion acceptable or normal?

(normal) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hA_-UKn2z_KS0-cqQTP5nbwb4uhSOZr2/view?usp=sharing

(slow motion) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vnPPvsrU_DvEBqLgbDtx3Grva--cK_zQ/view?usp=sharing

Any comment on the above videos would be appreciated or even better post a video of a 'normal' balancer?
I highly doubt you bent the crank. The crank sprocket has pegs on it that would shear off before I could imagine a massive crank bending. That said the harmonic balancer has a thin layer of rubber for dampening in it and if that wears out will cause a noticeable amount of play/wobble and cause it to sling or eat belts and possibly back out crank bolts. I'm surprised you had a crank bolt break and not take out the crank sprocket or timing belt with it.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

RyanY

• I'm new here!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 03:18:14 PM »
Can you see the crankshaft bolt while the engine is running? I wouldn't accept that much movement in a brand new Mitsubishi harmonic balancer - I'm thinking it's defective. If it's moving around that much and the crankshaft bolt has no comparable motion, I'd take it back and get it replaced.

I can't think of any possible way that a broken crank bolt could bend a crankshaft. Actually, I have a hard time thinking of any way to bend the end of a crankshaft under any circumstances, unless you were to take a sledgehammer to it, which would be more likely to just mar the surface than to bend the crankshaft to the point where it would show as much movement as your video does. 

Cosmos99

• I'm new here!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 08:46:18 PM »
Bought a new OEM harmonic balancer and still had wobble. Took it apart to investigate further and found out that whoever did the timing belt before mush have used way too much torque on the timing belt cogged pulley and had cracked it. Replaced it and and the timing belt along with some other incidentals and all is good.