Author Topic: TransGo Kit  (Read 2084 times)

jaccox

TransGo Kit
« on: April 12, 2018, 02:29:07 PM »
This is the next upgrade on the agenda. Banging around town it's not as noticeable how sloppy the shifts can be in out trucks, but add a little weight for a trip and any elevation into the equation and it's quickly noticeable how there is room for improvement. TransGo offers two kits for our trucks the SK340 kit which is basic level and I believe what Ernest has installed into his truck (only one I've heard of) and they offer the 340hd2 kit which is for more hot rod oriented but it also describes an "off road/truck" variation to this. Really just want to add some longevity and help the tranny remain cooler on longer trips through the appalachian mountains where it's up and down the whole time. Now I've read on the 4runner forums of the guys going with the HD2 kits when they supercharge their motors but haven't found a good writeup for the base SK kit. My question is, and maybe someone like Shovel or another member that already has their kit but hasn't installed it can answer, do I need to purchase a valve body gasket for the SK kit or is it simply just replacing the springs in the accumulators and a couple other remove and replace items? I'm leaning towards no need for the gasket since I'm kinda sure the valve body remains exactly the same vs. the HD2 kit where you actually drill into the valve body.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

Crumb

Re: TransGo Kit
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:54:22 PM »
 Ernest got me the regular kit, yet to be installed. I'm basically no help and just wasting text typing this.

jaccox

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:44:59 AM »
Yea I think my best bet is to just order the kit and take that excuse out of the equation. I'll see from there after reading through the instructions if i'll need the valve body gasket. There are numerous how-to and even decent youtube videos on doing these kits into the toyota and jeep variants of our trans (but most of them go with the HD2 kit) and it doesn't seem too daunting unless you drop the valve body and the check balls come out. I'm hoping that with the SK kit that I can simply carefully remove the valve body and set it aside so there is no way i can drop it and loose check balls and then replace springs and boost valves with the ones supplied in the kit and it only be an afternoon job. Plan to make a good write up and possibly vid for the ADD youtube to help anyone in the future.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

jaccox

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »
Upon further inter web research the reason the Jeep and Toyota guys go with the HD kit vs the basic SK kit is for 2 reasons of which we don't have as much concern for with out trucks. They need the reprogramming of their trans due to no actual way for them to select "L" or "1" on the shifter. Theirs is simply "P-R-N-D-3-2/1" (at least on the jeep end of the spectrum) so they have no good way to get good engine braking off road since their "L" got lumped in with "2" so it's always switching between first and second. Mitsubishi gave us full control so no need for the reprogramming (or valve body adjustments of moving check balls and drilling). Also power adders are more popular with the toyota and jeep vehicles that share these trans, whether it be the 4.0L stroker I6 on a jeep or the toyota peeps putting that TRD supercharger on. I feel we as most Montero owners accept that it's a 20 year old motor design that just works and we choose to modify around our engines to get the most from them rather than hunting for horsepower. I mean some day I'll get my grimey fingers on a 3.8L for a swap but I believe the SK340 kits is more than enough for what I'm wanting out of my auto. Case closed I'm gonna place the order soon and will report back and hope this helps others to take the leap.

Natedog

• I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 06:58:12 PM »
I already have the SK 340 kit sitting here... just time and to get it installed is my issue...
49 International KB-2
72 Dodge Colt
92 Talon AWD Auto
93 Eclipse NA (Euro Spec)
99 Montero

Whatthesheesh

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:30:35 AM »
 I am completely satisfied with the SK 340 kit that I put in my trans. If I went with the heavy-duty I'm afraid it might be a little bit obnoxious. The SK 340 is great it helps the truck shift more like a gen 3 5-speed. Well, maybe not that good.
To answer the question about the separator plate gaskets for the valve body, I'm going to source some for when I do Toasty's trans just in case his existing ones crumble.
I lucked out and was able to reuse mine. They did tear a little in one spot, but luckily it does not seem to be cross leaking and making the trans have issues.
Don't have a part number yet but I was gonna start pouring through transtar's online catalogs and try to figure it out.
You can screw this up if your not careful. You do need to drill the right passage and there are a couple of little bits that can be misplaced.
I went over everything like 5 times before final assembly as I did not want to be going back in.

jaccox

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:17:18 AM »
I am completely satisfied with the SK 340 kit that I put in my trans. If I went with the heavy-duty I'm afraid it might be a little bit obnoxious. The SK 340 is great it helps the truck shift more like a gen 3 5-speed. Well, maybe not that good.
To answer the question about the separator plate gaskets for the valve body, I'm going to source some for when I do Toasty's trans just in case his existing ones crumble.
I lucked out and was able to reuse mine. They did tear a little in one spot, but luckily it does not seem to be cross leaking and making the trans have issues.
Don't have a part number yet but I was gonna start pouring through transtar's online catalogs and try to figure it out.
You can screw this up if your not careful. You do need to drill the right passage and there are a couple of little bits that can be misplaced.
I went over everything like 5 times before final assembly as I did not want to be going back in.
Sweet this is good to hear. I actually went ahead and got the SK340 and it's sitting in the garage right now. I had planned to call the stealership to see if they were able to source the valve body gaskets and pick them up at the same time as I pick some more SPIII. I've read the directions several times seems replacing accumulators removing 1 bb and drilling 3 holes is all it will take. I brought up the upper and lower valve body diagrams in the FSM and compared them side by side to the transgo instructions and they seem to be pretty spot on with the diagrams. However a few of the passages were kinda different between the two diagrams kinda making it iffy to determine where each hole is to be drilled. My question is, are those differences because you have two different souces drawing what looks to be a very busy rendition or is one more accurate than the other once the valve bodies are apart? If that doesn't make sense I can kinda understand lol. This project may get pushed until the fall when the humidity disappears and I will have a little more time and I can coax my brother to come over and help since 4 eyes are better than 2