Author Topic: Installing(trying to) lower control arm bushing.  (Read 2561 times)

SD_Montero

• I'm new here!
Installing(trying to) lower control arm bushing.
« on: April 29, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
Old one came out easy enough. New Siberian bushing just mushrooms. Any tricks to keep it from mushrooming? It's all lined up and lubed  up good.

Crumb

Re: Installing(trying to) lower control arm bushing.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »
I don't have one to look at but does one side of the bushing have some little knobs on it? I usually push that end in first, not sure it helps or not but I haven't had any issues getting those installed yet. It does take a considerable amount of force to get them in.

SD_Montero

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:00:30 AM »
I got it. My neighbor came over and he had to in the past sand down the lip on it. Still wasn't easy but slid in.

jaccox

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 06:44:36 PM »
yea that one gave me problems as well. took several attempts but finally it went in straight. wish they were all tapered like the frame one for the LCA
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

SD_Montero

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
Do I use this big washer on The new bushings or no? And should I get new nuts? For the uca. Thx

Crumb

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 03:39:59 PM »
 No on the washer, you would reuse the washer if you had the unclad bushings (ADD doesn't sell those anymore) but your bushings are clad with sleeves and a washer already. As for the nuts, you can reuse them if they're in good condition HOWEVER they are technically one time use stover nuts meant to thread on and lock. Use red loctite, I don't recall the spec but it's 100ftlbs. I personally torque them around 80-85ftlbs because i've had a couple strip the shafts (likely due to damaged threads from the stover nuts) and then you have to replace it. The important thing here is that you reach the pre-load on the bushings which you can tell by there not being a gap on the inside washers/shaft AND that the nuts are locked in place either by being a locknut or with thread locker.

I don't recommend using stover nuts again if you opt to buy new nuts, they work by being deformed at one end and jamming up the threads. I recommend nylocks or loctite or both.

SD_Montero

• I'm new here!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »
You wouldn't happen to know the specs on these nuts? 8)

Crumb

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 01:44:49 PM »
I don't but your local hardware store does (fastenal, Grainger or other).

SD_Montero

• I'm new here!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »
I guess they are m14 fine thread with the pitch at 1.5. I'm getting a bag of 50 (only ones I can seem to get around here.) Any one need some nuts lol?

B

• Mitsubishi Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 05:31:15 AM »
Thanks for finding out the size, SD_Montero! I have my bushings replaced, with the stover nuts reinstalled.

They are holding tight for now, but if they come loose I will replace them with some nylock nuts.
2000 Montero LWB 3.5 SOHC Endeavor

1990 Eclipse GSX 2.0 Turbo AWD E-85

1991 Talon TSi 2.0 Turbo AWD