Author Topic: 95 SR Sunroof Doesn't Open  (Read 1087 times)

takenoheroes

• wooder
95 SR Sunroof Doesn't Open
« on: May 01, 2018, 01:07:09 PM »
Glass drops down and when the moving pieces go back to push the glass back they stop. Assuming some kind of physical blockage causing amperage to spike and the breaker to open. Wondering if there's a common issue here.
95 Montero SR

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: 95 SR Sunroof Doesn't Open
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
The common issue of course is it's a quarter century old  ..  but, yeah they can die over time.    If nothing has actually broken on yours and it's just gunked up you may be able to manually crank it (there is a keyway in the motor housing to manually turn for opening or closing without motor power) very gently and lubricate it. 

There are some who suggest that the only way to fix it correctly is to take down the whole headliner and clean and lube it all out of the truck..   I can't say I disagree with that however much it sucks to actually do.     Your call.   

Personally I just leave my sunroof shut all the time despite the fact it's still working, because I fear that the next time it opens it might not want to close. 

takenoheroes

• wooder
Re: 95 SR Sunroof Doesn't Open
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »
That's what I figured, I plan on putting my RTT up there so it'll be mostly useless anyway. Maybe I'll dig into it one day.
95 Montero SR