Author Topic: Gen 1 and 2 A/C fan retrofit  (Read 758 times)

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Gen 1 and 2 A/C fan retrofit
« on: May 03, 2018, 07:09:13 PM »
 So i bought a 10" universal fan for the Gen 1 and a 12" for the Gen 2. I gutted both inop stock fans and installed the new fans into the stock shrouds fairly easily. The 10" required it's shroud completely butchered leaving only the center ring, then i just bolted it to the original fan location in the old shroud with minimal modifications as the stock bolt holes lined up with the new fan.

The Gen 2 retrofit was almost as easy, this one the new fan shroud almost fit perfectly inside the old one. I trimmed 3/16" from the 4 corners and pressed it into the stock shroud. I used leftover stock screws to fasten it, the bolt holes didn't line up this time but they did evenly secure the metal flange to the motor by of each fastener centering it in the stock shroud.

Wiring these up is simple, as pusher fans the new fan wires go blue to black and black to blue. If i were using them as pullers they would be black to black and blue to blue. These things move a lot more air than stock (so far) but time will tell.

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 and 2 A/C fan retrofit
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 06:45:48 AM »
Retrofitting a newer, electronically improved fan into the old housing so the mounting of the original works, should get this a "Must Do" for people that have inoperative AC fans.

Kaioken

• Hi guys, its me Jay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »
Interesting.  I am considering this myself or going with a unit from Rock Auto. 

I currently have the A/C fan issue which is not working.  As for the Gen2.5, I understand you just went to a parts store and just grabbed a universal 12"?  Anything else I should look into?
I'm stuck in Florida...for now
1999 Mitsubishi Montero
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP

GrantCee

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »
I have a stupid question: when does this fan come on?

I have A/C on my '87 with the 2.6l, and I don't recall that fan ever turning on (which is, apparently, common enough to require you to fix yours!) Does it come on whenever the A/C is used, or when the belt-driven fan can't keep up, or....??

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 12:16:11 PM »
Only when the AC is on, you can add a thermostatic switch if you need it to run as a last resort for low speed overheating.

GrantCee

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »
Only when the AC is on, you can add a thermostatic switch if you need it to run as a last resort for low speed overheating.

That's actually not a bad idea; kind of a failsafe. And since I've taken out all of the emissions stuff I have two open ports on the thermostat housing that currently have unused thermal vacuum switches, which I assume I could easily swap out for an electrical switch.