Author Topic: Aftermarket Radio  (Read 1861 times)

Kaioken

• Hi guys, its me Jay
Aftermarket Radio
« on: May 11, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »
Some of you know how I have had some issues with my radio/amp off my gen 2.5 monty after it went under water.  Well, I decided to get a new head unit.  Although capable of powering 4 speakers on its own ( i removed dash speakers)  I also installed a 400 watt amp.  Now I have my 4 speakers playing beautifully.

I do have a concern though.  I have an amp pop at start up.  I did a little research and found several suggestions.  I also asked a co-worker who loves car stereos as a hobby and he stated I should check up on my remote wire and see if I need to get that power elsewhere.  Anyways, I am not very good with this kind of thing so I figured I asked here.

Set up?  JVC head unit with a harness from crutchfield.  headunit has RCA's going straight to my Kenwood 400w amp.  Amp has a harness color coded for 4 speakers in which I wired through the vehicle speaker harness after identifying which wires were to what speaker. 

Yellow (12v) wire from amp is running off the same head unit 12v wire.  ground is near amp location and remote wire is one I spliced into behind the head unit.  A red one to be exact. 

Again, how should I go about this pop sound?
I'm stuck in Florida...for now
1999 Mitsubishi Montero
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: Aftermarket Radio
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:21:33 PM »
Did you run a dedicated ground cable between the head unit and amplifier in addition to the RCA cables?

Kaioken

• Hi guys, its me Jay
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »
Well, the head-unit has its own ground which connects to where the old ground was.  The amp has its own ground as well. I have the amp sitting inside the bowl where the old amp used to be.  haven't mounted it yet.  the ground is one of the bolts for the lid of the bowl.
1999 Mitsubishi Montero

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:38:16 PM »
Did you run a dedicated ground cable between the head unit and amplifier in addition to the RCA cables?

Jay, start with doing this.

Next, quit making head unit and amp share ANY connection for power, whether it be main power or constant (stay-alive/memory). Get a nice fat wire for feeding your main power input to the head unit and don't depend on the vehicle harness to feed it, same goes for amp. At a rated 400 watts, something like that deserves cabling that'll handle 40 amps (4800 watts @ 12 volts DC). So, that has to be big, like 8 gauge.

Getting good solid grounds should fix it though, and Shovel's idea of grounding the h.u. and amp together, in addition to grounding them individually, is solid.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Kaioken

• Hi guys, its me Jay
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 05:30:08 PM »
I'll give that a try, thank you.
1999 Mitsubishi Montero