Author Topic: Bars to mount RTT  (Read 956 times)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
Bars to mount RTT
« on: May 25, 2018, 09:01:36 AM »
So i have a Freespirit RTT, but don't feel good about mounting it to the factory bars. 

What do we like?  Freespirit recommended RhinoRack bars, turns out they have both a universal gutter mount setup, and something FOR the Gen2s, utilizing the oem tracks somehow.  I like to play in that area of budget vs best, and don't mind doing some sweat equity.

Are there any downsides to the stuff that just goes in the oem place?  Would universal gutter mount stuff be stronger/lower/cheaper?  What is recommended? 
1998 Montero Winter Package (Mine)
2003 20th Anniversary Montero (Wife's)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
Re: Bars to mount RTT
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:06:54 AM »
Gutter mount is the way to go in my opinion. There's Thule and Yakima listed on the site:

http://shop.adventuredrivendesign.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=71_73&page=2

The Thule has the option for low mounts too so you can toss your factory roof rack if you dont want a high setting roof rack, if you want to keep the stock rack intact get the higher feet, there's a drop-down option on the listing.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
Gutter mount is the way to go in my opinion. There's Thule and Yakima listed on the site:

http://shop.adventuredrivendesign.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=71_73&page=2

The Thule has the option for low mounts too so you can toss your factory roof rack if you dont want a high setting roof rack, if you want to keep the stock rack intact get the higher feet, there's a drop-down option on the listing.

Plenty strong?  I need to take measurements, but ASSuming i get my shop space, i'd like to have two configurations for roof things on hand, both of which involve a small basket/rack up front.  Initially i'd want RTT in back, basket/rack in front of it.  And for "every day" would like to have an aluminum ATV ramp setup in back.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 09:50:36 AM »
ive seen them loaded up, but per the manufacture website, the heavy duty rhino ones say max load of 220lbs, I think per bar, since their two and three bar kits both say max load 220lbs, thule rates theirs at 175lbs... neither would be adequare for a RTT, two people and a basket from what the manufacture claims... using the rhino 3 bar heavy duty kit you'd be at 660lbs capacity, if that's how they do it, per bar... That would probably cover it, i dunno what the rtt, basket, sleeping materials and one or two people weigh.... Might have to go with a gutter mount van-roof rack to get the actual weight rating.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 09:54:38 AM »
ive seen them loaded up, but per the manufacture website, the heavy duty rhino ones say max load of 220lbs, I think per bar, since their two and three bar kits both say max load 220lbs, thule rates theirs at 175lbs... neither would be adequare for a RTT, two people and a basket from what the manufacture claims... using the rhino 3 bar heavy duty kit you'd be at 660lbs capacity, if that's how they do it, per bar... That would probably cover it, i dunno what the rtt, basket, sleeping materials and one or two people weigh.... Might have to go with a gutter mount van-roof rack to get the actual weight rating.

I think the Rhino load rating is "in motion," not static.  I'm ASSuming 2 bars for RTT/ATV ramp depending on which is on the truck at that time, and additional 2 bars for front basket.

I'm not against just putting one huge aluminum bar platform over the entire truck on 4 bars in gutter mounts, and just plopping on whatever crap i want that day.

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:22:45 PM »
Concealer...what gutter mounts did you end up using? I am looking at gutter mounts myself. I currently don't plan to install a RTT...but its not something I would rule out in the future so buying gutter mounts that would handle static and motion weight of maybe installing a RTT in the future is something I won't mind.

Even if I never install a RTT...at least I have the peace of mind knowing it can handle some decent weight if I needed.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:07:01 PM »
Concealer...what gutter mounts did you end up using? I am looking at gutter mounts myself. I currently don't plan to install a RTT...but its not something I would rule out in the future so buying gutter mounts that would handle static and motion weight of maybe installing a RTT in the future is something I won't mind.

Even if I never install a RTT...at least I have the peace of mind knowing it can handle some decent weight if I needed.

I didn't, unfortunately. 

Bought a house that needed about 25x more work than advertised, can't find a body shop that will touch my FZJ80, had to buy a V8 4Runner so we had something reliable for my wife to drive over winter, which honestly turns out to be a much better vehicle than a Montero in every way.

So i carried on with trying to sell the Montero because it didn't make sense to keep it.  It rebelled by freezing its block in our most recent record cold snap.

Honestly my Montero experiences have been pretty poor between the two i've had.  So at this point i can either sell the Monty as it and lose a good..... i don't know... $6k over 15k miles of use, or push forward and vomit another $4-5k into it to make it worthwhile again.

I don't know.  You didn't ask for my life story, but the point is that i didn't choose anything.   :P

Anyways, i DID narrow it down to one of the following three:

1) Smittybilt/whatever gutter mount brackets only, to an aluminum ATV platform rack thing
2) Rhinorack bars
3) Custom Gamiviti rack (my dad had one made for his LX470 and the guy seems to think that accomodating a Montero would be minimal tweaks to a 70 series Land Cruiser design he already has)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:08:57 PM by concealer404 »