Author Topic: Power steering overheating  (Read 677 times)

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Power steering overheating
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:50:39 PM »
All right, let's put this in context. I was on a muddy, 70 slope pushing between 4500-5000 rpms, spinning my 37" tires. And making it before a CV blew. Regardless. I had been trying to climb this slope for a couple minutes,  turning the steering wheel back and forth, sliding left and right. As I was creating the slope the CV blew, and started moving backwards. And the power steering had started protesting, screeching. Slid back down the hill til my backwards progress was halted by a tree. As I rested against the tree, I let my heart rate calm down, pulled the seat cover out of my butt, and after a minute or so, the protestations of the power steering stopped. Got off the hill, saw the blown up CV boot, and checked the fluid in the ps reservoir. It was HOT! Although an extreme example, was have youse done, if anything, for a cooling system on the power steering?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Power steering overheating
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:08:13 PM »
 i've gotten mine hot but not too bad, i have thought about a PSC cooler added on.

DezRacer25

• Roamer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 12:56:41 PM »
We have used one like this on our quads. I think something like this on the return hose would give you some extra cooling and simple easy install.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/G7-ATV-UTV-Radiator-Cooling-Water-Cooler-3-4-hose-Large-Fin-Pipe-New-50001/171456557880?hash=item27eb9b7338:g:U3kAAOSw-jhUCLNe:sc:USPSFirstClass!85257!US!-1
Do it today for tomorrow it will be illegal!

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »
Thanks Troy!