Author Topic: FS/Feeler: 1998 Montero Winter Package (Indianapolis, IN)  (Read 765 times)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
FS/Feeler: 1998 Montero Winter Package (Indianapolis, IN)
« on: June 02, 2018, 11:24:18 AM »
$6000 takes it ALL.  If we feel that's crazy overpriced, then don't buy it.  :)  Offers to come drink my beer and help me wrench on this thing in lieu of selling are also welcomed.  Sentiments of "screw you, keep it and hang around instead" are fine as well. 

I might have too many irons in the fire due to life.  House shopping, being unable to get parts that fit for our gas sipper Miata DD, and a crashed FZJ80 due to some dumbass blowing a red light.  I don't have the time for the forseeable future to give my baby the love it deserves, and I'd like to maybe explore taking the easy route out in a V8 4runner.

I'm not super sad if i need to keep it, i'll just keep plugging away at it, but 60 hour work weeks and everything else means i could use something stock and untouched.

Details:
1998 Green on tan/poop brown Winter Package i pulled out of Sacramento about 2.5 years ago. It has about 175k miles, i've only put about 10k miles on it since i brought it home to Indianapolis.  This is a rust-free truck by standards everywhere except maybe AZ.  Light surface rust on fastener heads and a couple patches on frame only.  We're talking an easy afternoon of light wiring brushing and fun with POR15 at worst.  These trucks simply do NOT exist in this condition in the eastern half of the US, which is why i went to CA to get one.

THIS IS NOT A MINTY FRESH SHOW TRUCK.  It has some bumps and bruises, it was owned by a cousin/relative of Eurosonic, and it was used.  It has some trail pinstriping, some weird dents (Passenger front fender was parked on a rock with no sliders, same fender also punched something below the corner light.), and evidence that the snorkel has been put to use.  Paint is faded/burning on hood and roof.

What it IS, is a super solid base that you won't have to worry about USING.  It's never given me any real trouble, starts every day (sometimes requires multiple key turns due presumably a loose trans shift linkage messing with the safety switch), and generally is good reliable transportation.  Rear locker works.

The Good/Replaced in my ownership:
1) All four calipers, rear rotors, brake master cylinder, and front and rear pads replaced ~5000 miles ago (Update:  Rear pads/rotors <1000 miles ago)
2) Timing belt done at 160k miles
3) Tires done less than 1000 miles ago (with matching spare)
4) Heated/power seats work
5) ALL suspension/steering (except steering box) replaced <1000 miles ago
6) New exhaust post y pipe <1000 miles ago

The Not So Good:
1)AC compressor maybe making noise.  Blows ice cold
2) Exhaust past the secondary cat is pretty gross. Loose, rattles, cracked, was generally a hack job done by PO.  It's loud. FIXED:  Installed new exhaust <1000 miles ago
3) Leaks oil.  From multiple places.  Nothing HUGE, just multiple small-ish leaks. 
4) One of the heater hoses is suspect.  It is not currently leaking, but should be replaced.  Looks like a patch/hack job by PO.
5) Heat doesn't work super awesome.  Suspect clogged core (it is not leaking), and there might be some ducting issues, airflow isn't great.
6) Front bumper was "trimmed" by Yours Truly to clear 35s.  It was meant to be temporary, so i didn't put much effort into it.
7) Power Steering pump whines a little.  Has done it since i got it. Has not gotten worse.  Power steering works great
8) 2nd and 3rd row seats were thrown in trash
9) Sunvisor mirror lights don't work
10) Main dome light doesn't work
11) Brake fluid level float is saturated.  Brake light on 80% of the time.  Brakes work great, no leaks.
12) Rear diff light flashes when wet.  Probably flaky solenoid.  Hasn't bothered me.

Modifications/upgrades:
1) Complete stereo.  Kenwood Excelon headunit, Soundstream 5-channel amp, 12" Funkin Audio SX series sub in sealed enclosure, Sony GS-series speakers.  Sounds GOOD.
2) 2" 4Crawler body lift
3) 15x8.5 -50ish Enkei EK32s (mismatched spare)
4) 35x12.50r15 Cooper STT Pros (matching spare)
5) Snorkel.  Probably chinese, but fits well
6) JDM fender markers (not wired yet)
7) Gauge cluster and aux gauges lit w/ red LEDs.  Have the LEDs to finish rest of the console.
8) LED reverse lights

Things i have that are not installed: THIS is the mother lode, and will remedy pretty much everything in the "not so good" section
1) ADD 1.5" lift Now installed
2) ADD bulletproofed idler  Now installed
3) Siberian Bushings for all arms/suspension  Now installed
4) Ansa oem replacement exhaust pipe/muffler for everything past the second cat converter, including new gaskets  Now installed
5) New (not reman) Denso AC compressor  Now installed
6) Front upper and lower control arms (new)  Now installed
7) Radiator cap  Now installed
8) Aforementioned heater hose  Now installed
9) Thermostat
10) Trico Teflon wiper blades
11) Front and rear endlinks  Now installed
12) JDM corner lights
13) Spare pair of 98-00 headlights in mint condition
14) Complete Morimoto D2S projector HID retrofit kit
15) Complete gen2 non-airbag dash and a huge tub of various parts to go with it (including amber print gauge cluster and aux gauges)
16) AC Evap core
17) BNIB OEM heater core w/ box
18) At least one pair of oem floor mats in serviceable condition
19) New dome light assembly

Additional pics available upon request.  Looks largely the same now, just sans roof rack, and taller because 35s and bar crank.

20171104_115829 by concealer404, on Flickr

_IGP9472 by concealer404, on Flickr

_IGP9492 by concealer404, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:54:19 AM by concealer404 »
1998 Montero Winter Package (Mine)
2003 20th Anniversary Montero (Wife's)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
Re: FS/Feeler: 1998 Montero Winter Package (Indianapolis, IN)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 03:56:12 PM »

Been there before man, do what you gotta do! You'll still be welcome 'round these parts whatever 4wd you show up in.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:00:02 AM »
Fun Fact:  This is the only place i have a build thread for the FZJ80.  :P

I DO have a huge 3 day thrash session coming up dedicated to this truck the weekend of the 15-17th, so maybe it'll all come together and i'll love it so much i can't get rid of it.  The plan is (oh boy) to install everything i have in the "Things i have that are not installed" section.  Seems doable, right?

Which reminds me, i need to order some hardware so i'll need to bug you tomorrow.

jaccox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 05:56:51 AM »
FWIW that BNIB heater core is probably worth double its weight in gold  :P
Also restrictive airflow is likely due to trash blocking the airflow across the AC evaporater and or trash in the cage of the fan. I found a ton of garbage in both of those places while i had my dash apart replacing my core. Airflow was 10x better after removing all that junk.
I wish I had the money to buy this thing it has all the real notorious items already they just need to be installed lol. I can't remember if you have 4.90's in that thing yet?
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 06:15:58 AM »
FWIW that BNIB heater core is probably worth double its weight in gold  :P
Also restrictive airflow is likely due to trash blocking the airflow across the AC evaporater and or trash in the cage of the fan. I found a ton of garbage in both of those places while i had my dash apart replacing my core. Airflow was 10x better after removing all that junk.
I wish I had the money to buy this thing it has all the real notorious items already they just need to be installed lol. I can't remember if you have 4.90's in that thing yet?

At least one of the center fresh air/block things doesn't work right either.  I figure between the complete second dash and this one i have all the parts i need to fix everything.

No 4.90s yet.  After this round of parts gets installed, the next plan was/is 3.8 swap, 4.90s, and a new oem trans with a Transgo kit.

jaccox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 08:24:14 AM »
4.90s transform these things, you'll think the old 3.5 is a whole different engine entirely lol. But I have the transgo kit sitting in my garage as well as all new solenoids, just got to go by the local transmission shop and see about getting them to order me some valve body gaskets because apparently you're average joe can't do that... I'm thinking that once the shifts are a bit cleaner I'll forget about an engine swap for at least a little while (or until a holy grail low mile close to home 3.8 pops up at a financially opportune time).
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
Bump.

Fuel gauge works now, ADD suspension and Siberian bushings have been installed, new rear pads and rotors have been installed, replaced two missing grounds, AC compressor has been replaced and blows ice cold.

Issues relating to the above:  Having some issues getting it to hold an alignment, and the new compressor i think is starting to make noise after 3 weeks of use.  AC still blows cold, but i'm not sure if it will continue to do so, but nor am i sure that the squeaking noise i'm getting is actually the AC compressor.  Noise is NOT present when AC is off.  That's the extent of the diagnosis i've had the time to do.

$6000obo.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 03:23:39 PM »
Bump.

I've figured out what is going on with the alignment and it will be fixed prior to finalized sale.  Also reasonably sure the AC compressor noise is actually the tensioner pulley, which is only $34 new oem.  Will verify this weekend for sure.  New starter being installed on Friday.

Open to reasonable offers, would prefer to sell the entire lot in one go, though, so please keep that in mind.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
AC noise has stopped.  Magical fix!  (stuck a stethoscope on compressor just to make sure, it's dead quiet)

Buy now!  New starter included but not installed!  Still starts every time cold, just sometimes needs a few (or more) key turns when hot before it cranks.  Or just smack the starter with something and move on with your life.

OBO.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Bump.

AC is non-functional again.  Starter appears to be fixed.

Just ordered a new condensor, will be replacing it, evap core, and heater core in the next week or two.  Will swap in non-airbag dash in the process.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 08:57:37 AM »
Bump!

AC works again, replaced 2 o-rings.  Did not replace condensor or evap core yet.

Heater hose replaced.

Truck continues to be reliable.

I bought a V8 4Runner.

Here's an album of pics of the truck currently.  It's dirty and i made zero attempt to clean it, haven't had time.  Will be cleaned prior to anyone picking it up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66868738@N05/albums/72157705519793705

She's a big gurl.

2019-01-08_05-34-03 by concealer404, on Flickr