Author Topic: Part numbers for Gen 2 "Big Screen" center gauge pod.  (Read 952 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Part numbers for Gen 2 "Big Screen" center gauge pod.
« on: June 03, 2018, 11:44:27 AM »
Quote from: Gary Hiddins on Facebook
MR762620 Rear cover, MR762618 Front cover, MR262522 Base bracket. The left and right brackets are not available.

Depth appears to be a big issue with it,  you should not expect a 2DIN head unit to fit unless it's one of those stubby (no disc player, obviously) ones.. and even then this setup is not made for that - it's made for an OEM screen - so you have to DIY some stuff on it. 

But, it's information for those who want information.    Saved here since Facebook is a shitty place to save stuff. 

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Part numbers for Gen 2 "Big Screen" center gauge pod.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »
I'd like to just run GPS and gauges on a tablet in that spot.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 02:42:39 PM »
Sure looks like it would be good for a medium size tablet, question becomes, what would make good use of the other 3" of depth in the housing once a tablet is mounted... still, looks more subtle and out of the way than most of the ram mount solutions i've seen.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »
what would make good use of the other 3" of depth in the housing once a tablet is mounted...

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »
Wow Shovel that's awesome thanks!  Ive been eyeing those on the Chinese version of the Monteros, and wondering how to get one.  Since I don't (nor ever had) a facebook account i would have never known this... your the best!...   just one question.  Are those original Mitsubishi part #'s?  Where would one acquire this unit by these part #'s?  As soon as I know... I'm ordering one.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 03:02:46 PM »
just one question.  Are those original Mitsubishi part #'s?  Where would one acquire this unit by these part #'s?  As soon as I know... I'm ordering one.

I don't know if those are specifically Mitsubishi part numbers,  the vehicles that principally used them were Liebao/Changfeng vehicles produced through 2014 though it's possible the Venezuela market Mitsubishi vehicles through 2012 had them too. 

I believe Shan bought his through Ebay..  but he has not installed them yet to my knowledge (just got 'em a week ago and is now shopping for a suitable tablet/head unit to work with it)

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
They were available in the JDM market as well, as a factory option in some gen2s, with MMCS screens. Don't have part numbers but if I ever come across a gen2 with it installed at auction, and it's chassis ID is available, I might be able to dig something up.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 08:56:02 AM »
After fooling with these parts in person I believe the best option for a head unit is a shallow Android "tablet style" unit  - the kind that's only an inch or two deep like this. -  if you try to put a full depth head unit in there it is a difficult or impossible fit.

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 01:43:08 PM »
...added to cart.

plh

• blank
    • View Profile
    • Tuffpans
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 08:56:04 AM »
After fooling with these parts in person I believe the best option for a head unit is a shallow Android "tablet style" unit  - the kind that's only an inch or two deep like this. -  if you try to put a full depth head unit in there it is a difficult or impossible fit.

Too bad its still Android 6, quad core and 16gb
83 Mighty Max SPX - 2.0l 4 speed. coming: ARB bumper, winch, OME 2" rear, Bilsteins, 4.90 rear locker, front LSD. 31x10.5R15
88 Raider: 4D56T, 5 spd, 4.62 LSD F & R, KYB G/A, T/L, OME Dakar Rear Springs, 33x12.5x15 MTZ, PLH L/Os, Dual Bouncies,
92 Montero RS M/T - SOLD!
93 Montero SR Auto 3.0 V6 33x10.5R15LT BFG T/A KO, KYB G/A, 4.88, ARB Bumper, Warn HS9.5k, New Heated Leather, Dual Bouncies
05 Montero LTD LT285/75R16 BFG T/A KO2, KYB G/A, OME Springs
http://www.tuffpans.com

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »
There are others on the market with fresher specs, I linked that one because it visually illustrates the shallow depth, almost like a tablet with a heat sink stuck to the back.   

For a dash unit modest specs are likely plenty for a long time because nav and gauges aren't especially demanding.  But it's a good plan to shop around a bit - the fresher it is the longer into the future it will stay relevant.

Whatever one is bought, if you get a deep one (with a CD mechanism or that size) you won't be happy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:06:19 AM by Shovel »

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
I wonder if it would be better (if you cared about such things as audio quality and EQ stuff) to stick a tablet up there, but a normal decent-quality single DIN head unit down where it went from factory, and just connect the two via a permanent aux or use bluetooth.  That way you can just stick a newer tablet in there every couple years to keep up with the joneses and not have to deal with re-wiring stuff.

Not questioning your methods, just musing out loud as someone who has blown too much time and money on his audio setup to want to mess around going backwards in audio quality.  :)
1998 Montero Winter Package (Mine)
2003 20th Anniversary Montero (Wife's)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 03:18:19 PM »
In my own Montero I did mount a regular tablet up there and a completely unrelated 2din head unit below.

I use the tablet exclusively for nav and gauges, music comes off my phone.  The tablet does have a slot for a Sim card and could get data service but I can't justify the expense.
  Magnetic tablet fixtures and a hidden magnetic power cable so I can yank it out any time easily with no wear or breakage or effort.

One bad thing about the ordinary tablet is power, even with an app that (sort of) automates sleep and brightness it still is a little shitty, where a head unit built for cars has that stuff figured out in their hardware.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:19:54 PM by Shovel »

plh

• blank
    • View Profile
    • Tuffpans
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 06:32:58 AM »
how much depth is available there?  I ordered a Joying for my Gen 3 which arrived yesterday, the no DVD/CD model  JY-UO135N4G.  It is pretty shallow.  If there is 5 1/2" depth available, it would fit.
83 Mighty Max SPX - 2.0l 4 speed. coming: ARB bumper, winch, OME 2" rear, Bilsteins, 4.90 rear locker, front LSD. 31x10.5R15
88 Raider: 4D56T, 5 spd, 4.62 LSD F & R, KYB G/A, T/L, OME Dakar Rear Springs, 33x12.5x15 MTZ, PLH L/Os, Dual Bouncies,
92 Montero RS M/T - SOLD!
93 Montero SR Auto 3.0 V6 33x10.5R15LT BFG T/A KO, KYB G/A, 4.88, ARB Bumper, Warn HS9.5k, New Heated Leather, Dual Bouncies
05 Montero LTD LT285/75R16 BFG T/A KO2, KYB G/A, OME Springs
http://www.tuffpans.com

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
I don't know the exact depth, the thing is that the rear of it (closer to the windshield) isn't perpendicular to the front bezel so the height drops off sooner than the angle of acceptable equipment drops off.    Then underneath it there's a metal structural piece of the dashboard.

So I don't know what the biggest thing you can fit in there.    I know that the really shallow "Tablet with a heat sink" sized ones can be made to fit and anything bigger is at your own risk.    Really all of this stuff is at your own risk - you have about as much information about it all as I do.   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:02:01 PM by Shovel »