Author Topic: Oil Discussion  (Read 2245 times)

JakeP

• "Who brought that Mitsubishi up here?"
Oil Discussion
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
I know, I know, I know.  This topic is beaten to death on every car forum on the planet, so why not start one here?  I just want to get a feel for what is working for everyone, what's not.  Here's a background on my rig; purchased a little over two years ago with 173K miles.  It is now sitting over 206K and I just got back late last night from a 2K mile trip out to LA and back.  During this time we experienced everything from less than 40 degree temps at 11K feet on Vail pass, to 110+ degree temps in bumper to bumper traffic on the 15 outside of Vegas.  Did not miss a beat. 

Upon initial purchase the oil was 2qts low.  So I gave an initial oil change with Castrol dyno.  I did this for the first two cycles, same brand 5w-30 and each time she burned an additional 2qts of oil before the 3K mile interval.  I had the intention of slowly cycling to full-synthetic and increasing my intervals to 7.5K miles.  So at 180K miles I switched to Castrol high-mileage synthetic blend 5w-30.  I did this for the next two 3K mile cycles and again burned through 2qts before each oil change, so 1K miles a quart.  At this point (186K) I made the switch to Valvoline high-mileage synthetic blend 5w-30.  My engine liked this oil better and only needed 1qt before the next oil change, so about 1.5K miles a quart.  I did this for two rotations and at 192K I was finally tired of changing the damn oil so much so I started the first 6K interval, with a better oil filter of course.  During this time I purchased Valvoline high-mileage FULL synthetic 5w-30 to start adding in at every 1.5K miles because at 198K I was going full-synthetic anyway.  So no issues up to this point, and I had even noticed intermittent puffs of white smoke very early in the process, signalling the oil was cleaning the gunk out of my motor.  At 204K, right before my trip, I used Valvoline high-mileage 10w-30 because I started to notice a little lifter tick at startup, this seemed to work and everything has been smooth. 

So very long back story, but I just wanted to outline my process and what has worked for me.  At 210K miles I will be doing essentially what is a 30K service on the rig and then moving to my 7.5K mile oil change interval. 

What experiences have you all had with oil consumption, and what have you done to quell this?  Have you used a particular brand that you think this motor just loves?  I personally have had better luck with Valvoline over Castrol for this motor. 

I have read on several forums that these older Mitsubishi Motors love 5w-40.  I am not so sure about adding a 40w oil, however, I would not be opposed to trying this if others have used and had luck.  My rig is a daily driver but I put it through some stress driving over the high altitude mountain passes in CO plus the occasional 4-wheeling.  Let me know your thoughts.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: Oil Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 04:38:35 PM »
Mine only seems to consume oil if I let it idle for a LONG time...   which makes sense, the most vacuum occurs at idle (throttle plate closed) to draw oil past the valve guide seals.      My truck has 290k miles,  I'm the 2nd owner and based on the appearance of bolt heads and wiring looms throughout the engine compartment I believe this engine is original (nothing anywhere is rounded, and all the wiring retainers, plastic clips, etc are in place except the ones that come off during spark plug changes)

I run the oil viscosity and service grade recommended by the manufacturer (pretty sure that's 5W30 in this case) and lean on the thinner side when a range is specified.      When I have reason to believe the inside of the engine is dirty - as in, when I first acquire a new-to-me old vehicle I run thin oil with a mild solvent (MMO) to increase velocity and move the gack along.   

I've only had this particular vehicle for around 10k miles so that's only 3 oil changes (one right away and two since) .   It appears to consume just enough oil that at 5k miles it's near the bottom of the hatched dipstick area, not quite enough to need any added between changes. 

JakeP

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:21:45 PM »
Wow, that's not bad at all.  I believe mine has had minor consumption issues since before I purchased.  Sounds like yours is burning a lot less than mine.  What brand and type of oil are you using?  Dyno?  Synthetics naturally run thinner than dyno.  Also, what is MMO?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 10:54:20 PM »
Wow, that's not bad at all.  I believe mine has had minor consumption issues since before I purchased.  Sounds like yours is burning a lot less than mine.  What brand and type of oil are you using?  Dyno?  Synthetics naturally run thinner than dyno.  Also, what is MMO?

On my first oil change after bringing this Montero home I ran 0W20 Valvoline with some MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) - I don't have any particular feelings about Marvel, it's just a solvent additive that seems to have a decent history of not causing harm when used in this way. 

Generally speaking I don't use additives when there's nothing wrong, the thin oil and Marvel in this case were to clean out a suspected crusty crankcase.     

I ran that for a short time (less than a thousand miles I think) and then went to Valvoline synthetic high mileage in the specified viscosity.  I don't have a particular brand choice,  just whatever premium synthetic is on sale at the time.    This kind of practice has worked very well for me as long as I've been mature enough to take care of my equipment; but engine lubrication's become a funny sort of politics so as always YMMV   :)

jaccox

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:09:58 AM »
When I purchased my '99 at 134k miles the PO hadn't changed the oil (he'd only driven it 6k miles in the time he had it) and it was a hair under the full mark on the dip stick. She ticked like a diesel and even had the blue puff of the dreaded VSS after about a 15-20min idle. I immediately joined team T6 (Shell Rotella synthetic that is) when I got home on the first oil change, and drove it roughly 700ish miles. Well I did my first timing belt at that time as being I had no concrete evidence of it being done up to that point (it had been done and even had the updated bolt). I decided to do VSS, new lifters, Vavle cover seals and rear cam seals and once I got the mess back together I decided to dump that 700 mile oil and go ahead and put some new oil in while everything was easily accessible. With that said that was the blackest 700 mile oil I'd ever seen. Gunk was moved, so from that point on I decided to stick with T6 and wix filters. Doesn't consume any oil after fresh VSS and 5kish intervals and no lifter noises after that as well. Oil is a preference thing and doesn't have to be a keyboard war but most car cultures turn it into a war lol. Also shell usually has decent promotional coupons or sales which makes it a little cheaper sometimes.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

JakeP

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 08:41:26 AM »
I'm sure I have several worn seals throughout the engine that contribute to my oil consumption.  I'm not planning to tear apart my engine, to me it's not that big of a deal or worth the time.  If I travel, I just bring extra oil with me.  I have liked Valvoline high-mileage, and our motor seems to respond well to it.

Jaccox are you using 40w Rotella?  This is one oil that really intrigues me, and I have read throughout several forums that Mitsubishi motors respond well to it.   

Crumb

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »
 I run full synthetic 5W40 Rotella T6 in the old truck (1999 Montero) and full synth 5W30 Valvoline in the new truck (2005 Montero). I'll run dino Rotella 15W40 in really old 4 cylinders mostly because it's cheap and diesel oil works well at keeping it clean, dino SAE 30 in the old Mitsu diesels if they are worn or leaky.

Ideally i'd like to run 5W30 Mitsubishi full synthetic but my dealer doesn't stock it yet. I think as you run good clean oil within your engine's recommended range of viscosities it will be happy.

JakeP

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 11:39:51 AM »
I agree.  I think I will try the 40w for a few rotations and see how it goes from there.  I have read nothing but great things and it's reassuring to see others using it.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »
I run the Rotella Triple T 15w40 diesel stuff in mine.  Mostly because it's cheap and my motor is old.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

jaccox

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 05:39:21 AM »
Jaccox are you using 40w Rotella?  This is one oil that really intrigues me, and I have read throughout several forums that Mitsubishi motors respond well to it.
Whoops sorry for ghosting ya for a day, but exactly what Toasty said. My '99 gets the T6 5W40. Also I live in TN so mild climate year round.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.