Author Topic: Hardware/boots to replace while rebuilding suspension  (Read 2128 times)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
Hardware/boots to replace while rebuilding suspension
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:04:31 AM »
I'm installing my ADD suspension next weekend finally.

I'm messing around in ASA and i'm getting somewhat cryptic results sometimes.  1) seems that many of the control arm nuts/bolts are discontinued so i can't order them and 2) I can't really figure out what boots/covers i should order for the torsion bars.  ASA only shows one side, and the boots/covers seem to be different left vs right (right has additional things/in lieu of to protect against the heat of the exhaust)

Here's what i came up with for the bars, ASA filled in quantity itself.  I cannot see the driver side diagram.
parts is parts 2 by concealer404, on Flickr

parts is parts by concealer404, on Flickr

Anyone who has done this before (especially you, Adam and Josh), what hardware and/or boots would i be stupid to NOT replace/have on hand to do this job all in one shot in a weekend?
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: Hardware/boots to replace while rebuilding suspension
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »
You're definitely going to want the MR234417 's if those have not already been replaced.    They're very affordable.   You need a total of 4 collars,  which are packaged in pairs.

Crumb

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »
 You need 4 silencers (the plastic rings that ride in the torsion key saddle) 4 small boots and 2 large outer boots, left and right are the same.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:06:38 PM »
So in that diagram:

4x MR234417
4x MB109665
2x MB518525

Correctomundo?

RyanY

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:38:29 PM »
Adam has noted this previously in another thread - the upper control arm shaft end nuts are lock nuts designed to booger up the threads when they are originally installed in order not to loosen up, and are probably best considered to be one-time use. Either get some new OEM ones, some Nylocks (14mmx1.5), or use lots of Loctite to keep them on if you reuse them.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 03:53:34 PM »
Adam has noted this previously - the upper control arm shaft end nuts are lock nuts designed to booger up the threads when they are originally installed in order not to loosen up, and are probably best considered to be one-time use. Either get some now OEM ones, some Nylocks (14mmx1.5), or use lots of Loctite to keep them on if you reuse them.

Thanks, i didn't really put two and two together, there.

Not sure i'll be able to source any sort of solution for that before i need it at this point, though.  So i'll go the loctite method as a stopgap.