Author Topic: WTB: A whole bunch of nice southwestern suspension nuts and bolts  (Read 525 times)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
Josh said to post a WTB for this, that maybe one of you dudes would have a ton of hardware.  I'd like to give someone some money to ship me a flat rate box with a bunch of suspension hardware.  In a perfect world, someone would be as OCD as me and have a complete set hanging around.  In reality, i'll take whatever i can get, unlabeled, tossed in a box, just so i have something i can rustle through and maybe swap in if i find anything i don't like when i'm taking my truck apart next weekend.

We're talking control arms nuts/bolts, shock nuts/bolts, panhard nuts/bolts, etc.

Please?  :D
1998 Montero Winter Package (Mine)
2003 20th Anniversary Montero (Wife's)

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: WTB: A whole bunch of nice southwestern suspension nuts and bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 07:16:54 PM »
 Lemme know what you need exactly, i have EVERYTHING...  Unfortunately for me i just dumped all the hardware from into the nut and bolt bin this morning after i finished processing the '95 SR ::)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:46:09 PM »
Lemme know what you need exactly, i have EVERYTHING...  Unfortunately for me i just dumped all the hardware from into the nut and bolt bin this morning after i finished processing the '95 SR ::)

Front suspension:  Upper and lower control arm bolts/nuts/washers, Shock bolts/nuts, frame-side endlink nuts (though really that's cake to swap anytime), and i guess whatever bolts and such for the bars?
Rear suspension:  Shock bolts/nuts, Panhard nuts/bolts, and the nuts/bolts from the trailing links

Steering:  Whatever hardware mounts the idler

Basically i'm after whatever i might touch doing a full suspension/steering rebuild on a Gen2.5.  :)

IF you have time to wrangle me up a box stuffed with bolts that could arrive by the 14th, that would be super rad.  If you don't, that is fine too, i'm not super worried about the hardware on the truck, just trying to be safe to avoid being sorry since this is a shared DD at the moment for us.

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »
 I'll try to dig up a stash tomorrow, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be cheap. That's a lot of really large hardware I'd say probably the splined LCA rear bolts and maybe the Torsion hardware set are the most important because you may have to cut them out and those are really the only ones you can't just get at your local nut and bolt store. Although Mitsu uses different thread pitch it's not too difficult to source metric grade 10.9 hardware. I get what you mean though, even here in the southwest the 16mm bolts (the ones with 24mm heads) are really hard to remove because of the near 200ftlbs torque spec. I couldn't imagine if they were rusted in place. I have a really bad ass Ingersoll 1/2" Dr impact gun rated for some 1100ftlbs breaking torque and it struggles but always does the job.

*Pro tip! drill the shock tower UCA holes to 1/2" and install 1/2" fine thread bolts with precision washers (based on your original shims thickness) and either nylock or jam nuts. This will ensure you never spit a shim out on the trail, when that happens it really sucks.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 05:57:43 AM »
It's a CA truck so i'm not super worried about being able to remove stuff, but if there's a scenario where i have to cut/break something and don't have a replacement on hand, i have to buy another truck that weekend.

As for the pro tip, how much will my alignment guy hate me after doing that?

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
Almost guarantee you'll be setting your camber yourself, alignment shops have gotten lazy and typically don't adjust your camber on a Montero. IF they set your camber, you could let them use their shims tjen replace them yourself with washers equal to the thickness of the shims they install. Aftermarket shims are the worst, they come out the easiest.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:14:47 AM »
Almost guarantee you'll be setting your camber yourself, alignment shops have gotten lazy and typically don't adjust your camber on a Montero. IF they set your camber, you could let them use their shims tjen replace them yourself with washers equal to the thickness of the shims they install. Aftermarket shims are the worst, they come out the easiest.

I have a guy.   ;) He adjusted camber on my truck 3 weeks ago when i was forced to press it into DD service despite not having the time to rebuild it.

One of my Miatas takes shims in the UCAs and he likes aligning that thing, too.  He's weird.  I like him.

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
 That's good, most techs don't do it anymore or they do it wrong.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 04:08:32 AM »
An dennnnnnnnn?  :D