Author Topic: 3.5 SOHC (Gen 2.5) Timing Belt Parts List  (Read 2095 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
3.5 SOHC (Gen 2.5) Timing Belt Parts List
« on: June 15, 2018, 06:22:14 AM »
Stuff I used,  if you want to use this for your shopping list.   I have provided links for convenience (and full disclosure, they are amazon affiliate links so if you buy 'em I get a couple pennies) but it's not a bad idea to look up the part numbers wherever you usually shop and see if you can find the best price and shipping options for you.    Prices and availability fluctuate as you know.

Timing Belt Tensioner Tool

Timing Belt Tensioner: OEM 1145A070 Timing belt tensioner.

Front Crankshaft Seal: MD372249 Front Crankshaft Seal

Thermostat: I used a Motorad 7302-180 and am happy with it but the OEM type is Aisin THM-012

Mitsubishi updated crank bolt:  1100A141 and washer:  MR994412    From ADD!

Timing Belt & Pulley Kit:  Gates TCK287

Water Pump Kit:   Aisin WPM035

In addition to that here are some optional parts that I chose to do at the same time, provided for convenience.

Denso 671-6224 Spark Plug Wire Set

New Spark Plugs - I used Bosch 6724 but others have recommended Denso Iridium

Fel-Pro MS95709 intake manifold gasket set (recommended when replacing spark plugs/wires, as the upper intake manifold must come off anyway)

Engine coolant - I used Prestone 50/50 pre-mix,   but if you want to be super strict OEM style you can get Mitsubishi MZ320125 .   Either way I would strongly recommend buying 10 or 15 gallons of distilled water from your local grocery store and use that as an intermediate flush when performing cooling system maintenance particularly if  you're bringing a neglected vehicle up to date.    Never use tap water from your garden hose,  or spring water or La Croix or any other water than distilled (or pre-mixed coolant) in your cooling system.

Transmission fluid: I use Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle which states that it works with our transmissions, and that has been my experience as well.   Alternately the Official stuff is Mitsubishi Diaqueen SPIII MZ320200 - usually best price on this is at your local Mitsubishi dealership. 

Upper radiator hose: Continental 62460

Lower radiator hose:  Continental 62131 - be careful installing this,  it fits between the a/c compressor pulley and the engine cooling fan with not much room to spare.   Gotta get it just right.

Radiator overflow tank assembly - OEM part is MB605260 - they're still available from  your dealer for around $26 or there's an inexpensive aftermarket part on Amazon.    Either one is better than that gross crusty cracked one  you have now!

I hope this helps.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
Re: 3.5 SOHC (Gen 2.5) Timing Belt Parts List
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 06:47:15 PM »
Note that the Aisin water pump is the OEM, and it comes as a whole pump, not just the front half.

You may want to replace your camshaft seals as well. They are the main leak point that tends to take out alternators. You do have to pull the gears off to do it, and then you'll need valve cover gaskets and an intake set like Shovel said above. Timken makes great aftermarket seals and Fel-Pro makes great aftermarket gaskets. Since I have Gen 2's, I'm not going to muddy things up by listing part numbers that don't apply to this thread.

One thing we really need to list a part number for that is important is the o-ring that goes on the water pipe that sticks into the back of the water pump. Whether you get the entire pump or just the front half, you'll want to replace it, and do so with a stock part. If your old one leaks, you're doing the entire job again.

Be careful around your cam and crank sensors, don't bugger up your harmonic balancer (good time to replace it if it looks damaged in any way) and don't screw up the trigger wheel behind the timing belt gear on the crank snout. There's also a locating pin for that gear (and there may be a Woodruff key, can't remember) that you need to put back on correctly, so be careful with pulling that gear off to get to your front main seal!

Buy a white paint marking pen. Get some spring clips to hold the timing belt in place temporarily while you're futzing with alignment of the belt. Have enough box wrenches to hold the cam gears in place if you're not using a special tool, and have help holding the cam gears still while you change a belt if that's as far as you're going (as in, not doing cam seals).

Always replace the belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, water pump and USE AN OEM HYDRAULIC TENSIONER. There is NO substitute for that last one. Yes it's costly. Yes, you need it. That's the minimum.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Justice

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »
One key to saving money doing this job is to know what brands are oem and finding a kit that offers them.

I ordered a kit on eBay which came with a genuine mitsuboshi  timing belt, NTN tensioner, Koyo idler and tensioner bearings an AISIN water pump and all seals “made in Japan”

Much more expensive than the cheap kits, but way cheaper than dealer prices.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »
i've been in contact with Aisin recently, I'd like to retail their stuff instead of passing it through the dealer and taking that hit, as we've been doing. That could change the way we keep these trucks on the road, but the convo has just been started recently. They seem open to it.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:22:13 AM »
Too bad they don't make / sell the fan clutches / blades / oil pumps for these trucks anymore.

i've been in contact with Aisin recently, I'd like to retail their stuff instead of passing it through the dealer and taking that hit, as we've been doing. That could change the way we keep these trucks on the road, but the convo has just been started recently. They seem open to it.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 05:41:59 PM »
I recently (past three weeks) bought an OEM fan blade from Rock Auto. Figured there wouldn't be too many chances to get one in the future. I think it was $25.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 12:51:15 AM »
I recently (past three weeks) bought an OEM fan blade from Rock Auto. Figured there wouldn't be too many chances to get one in the future.

Hyundai/Kia 2.6L/2.7L Diesels (european Sorento, cargo cab/chassis etc) through 2012 use the same blade assembly.   

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:21:01 PM »
What was the part number?

I recently (past three weeks) bought an OEM fan blade from Rock Auto. Figured there wouldn't be too many chances to get one in the future. I think it was $25.

John B.