Author Topic: Coming soon: 00 Montero rolling project  (Read 6040 times)

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
Coming soon: 00 Montero rolling project
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm not new around here, but haven't posted much. Still working on the 91 Project Pokemontero for my son, but also picking up a new truck for myself. It's a pretty sweet 00 Montero base with lots of cool mods. Including, but not limited to, OME springs, and shocks, ARB air lockers front and rear, ARB bumper, 3.15 low range gears, and Aisin manual hubs.It's in CO now, and should be shipped out to me soon.

It doesn't need tons of work, but I want to tackle a few things, and make it my own anyway. First off it needs new brake rotors(provided by the seller), so any gotcha's on that job? Also it needs an alignment which I'll most likely pay a shop to do. The drivers side rear door handle is broken, and only opens from the inside, so that will be a priority too. The guy who looked at the truck for me mentioned that the passengers side door lock acts funny, and does a lock/unlock/lock dance. Any idea what that could be?

Looking forward to getting a proper SUV. My Delica is awesome, but unless I modify it some off-roading is limited(but not terrible). Mostly it's so nice I don't want to beat it up. This Montero is nice, but built up for a purpose.

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
Re: Coming soon: 00 Montero rolling project
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 11:05:59 AM »
Oh crap I put this in the wrong place! Can someone move it to build threads, please?

Crumb

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »
Who did you buy it from? Sounds like you have a killer head start.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »
It doesn't need tons of work, but I want to tackle a few things, and make it my own anyway. First off it needs new brake rotors(provided by the seller), so any gotcha's on that job?

Rears are easy.   Fronts you have to take the hub assembly off.   Good time to grease the bearings, and make sure you know how to set the bearing preload correctly.   You need the tool to get the hub off too,  check the "Stuff" page for a link to the cheapskate version of the tool.   

Also it needs an alignment which I'll most likely pay a shop to do.

If you don't already have a shop you trust for this, be sure to ask them if they're going to set camber too, with the shims and stuff.    You can make their life easier (and them more willing..) if you remove the front shocks and drive very carefully and bouncily down to the shop.     After getting the camber set,  re-torque the camber bolts.   And then do that again in a couple weeks.     This is to keep the shims from wanting to "walk" out.    It's not catastrophic death for you if they do that but it's definitely an annoying problem if it happens. 

The drivers side rear door handle is broken, and only opens from the inside, so that will be a priority too. The guy who looked at the truck for me mentioned that the passengers side door lock acts funny, and does a lock/unlock/lock dance. Any idea what that could be?

The handles are available on ebay.    You can get a set of four handles on aliexpress for about $25 too. 

The lock/unlock dance is due to a worn switch assembly inside the mechanism.   Replacement lock mechanisms are around $285 for OEM or about $15 for aftermarket, again on ebay.     I'd go with the aftermarket one.

Make sure to get a couple spare keys made so you don't get unlock-relock danced the hell out of your vehicle and end up having to break in.   

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 11:46:13 AM »
I haven't found an aftermarket handle that fits the gen2.5 yet.  To date i've bought 6 exterior handles and 3 interior handles. 
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
I haven't found an aftermarket handle that fits the gen2.5 yet. 

Wouldn't they just be Pajero V45 handles?    I haven't needed to buy any,  but it seems any handle made for a V45 should fit a Gen 2.5 in the US?

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
I haven't found an aftermarket handle that fits the gen2.5 yet. 

Wouldn't they just be Pajero V45 handles?    I haven't needed to buy any,  but it seems any handle made for a V45 should fit a Gen 2.5 in the US?

From what i can tell, handles and linkage are different between "Gen2" and "Gen2.5."  I may be falling prey to sellers mis-labeling their stuff, but the 92-00 parts i've purchased do not fit.  I'm guessing everything i bought would fit 92-97, though.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »
These aren't correct?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Exterior-Door-Handle-For-98-2000-Mitsubishi-Montero-Rear-LH-Smooth-Black-Plastic/352364749762?itemId=352364749762&du=1&epid=27015900709

Well dang.  I could stand to buy all four at that price.  My driver rear exterior is broken, interior messed up due to a bent linkage, and passenger rear interior broken completely.

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 02:25:06 PM »
So that ebay link I provided is the correct door handle?

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
Probably.  Never bought that one.  Been a year since i looked at the inner workings of my handles.  (last time i tried to replace them unsuccessfully.)

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 07:24:26 PM »
Here's the for sale posting where I bought the Montero.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2000-montero-mild-build-co.194183/

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 05:56:26 PM »
Any specific tools aside from the one that can be made out of another special socket for the front rotors? What is the procedure for setting pre load on the bearings?

Mazdax605

• I'm new here!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 06:12:02 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot to ask. Why remove the shocks before getting an alignment? Do the shock block the technician from getting the shims in place?

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 06:18:59 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot to ask. Why remove the shocks before getting an alignment? Do the shock block the technician from getting the shims in place?

It makes it more annoying, yes, but not insurmountable.  My alignment guy doesn't seem to have much problem, but he's also the only one that will touch this truck in general.  I live in a large city and i drive 1.5 hours one way to get my truck aligned.