Author Topic: Rebuilding a 3.5L SOHC motor, or Replacing it - 3Gen Montero  (Read 2196 times)

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Hello all, some may know me from ExpeditionPortal. I am a veteran off road guide, and extremely under informed novice mechanic.  I am currently working on my 3rd Montero, a 2002 Gen 3.  Previously I had a 1991 Gen 2 and a 1998 Gen 2.5....and a Land Rover LR3 and a Jeep LJ Rubicon.   

My current 3rd Monty does not run.  I bought it with a seized engine.  It has 154,000 miles on the rig, and looks to have been well maintained (or at least frequently), although not by a very competent shop.  It recently had a new radiator put in, along with a new timing belt, idler pulley, tensioner, water pump, spark plugs, head gaskets, and rebuilt cylinder heads.   4 days after the previous owner put all that money into it, it died on the freeway and has not run again.

I bought it pretty cheap ($1,000) and trailered it home as a new project vehicle with the goal of turning it into my 16 year old daughters first car.  My all up budget is $3,000.

First step was to check the timing belt assembly, and it looks fine.  Next I drained the oil and Oh Crap!  No oil left in the engine.  Just a dribble came out.  There is evidence of significant leakage and build up of oily grime on the lower end.  5 quarts worth? I dunno....

I removed the passenger side cylinder head to see what I could see, and I found small metallic shavings above the pistons in cylinders 1 and 3.  A split spark plug in Cylinder #3.   I think the valves are okay, but I'm not really sure. I don't exactly know what I am looking at!   (remember, no knowledge base to pull from).

I am attempting to remove the drivers side cylinder head, but it won't come off for some reason.  Is there anything on the back of the head holding it on?  There is a sensor thing and the coolant pipe, but those are bolted to the head, not to the block, so I have no idea what is holding it down, but something in the rear is preventing me from lifting the head up and off.

Next step is to figure out if I should have the motor rebuilt or just source a newer one from somewhere.  I have no info on getting one rebuilt, and I am unsure on sourcing a newer one.  The process of pulling one from a junkyard does not appeal to me at all.  Tinkering around in my driveway is one thing.  Sweltering in a hot oily junkyard with limited tools, no shade, no proper jacks or stands, etc...   No thanks.

The other next step is to figure out how to remove the current engine. I've never done that before.  I really don't know what all is involved.  Do you remove the tranny also (with the engine)?  Do you disconnect the engine from the tranny before pulling it?  How do you disconnect the tranny?  How do you access the bolts?   How do you support it if you remove the cross member? Do you need to remove the cross member?   If you keep the tranny attached, how to you disconnect the drive shaft?  I've never actually removed a universal joint, not even as a trail repair.  What about the shift linkage?  Do you just remove the levers in the cabin and then drop the tranny?

This is all the first time for me, and I'm doing it on my own in my driveway.  I don't have an engine stand or hoist, though I heard I can rent a hoist for about $50. 

Here are current photos of where I am at with this project:

Heads removed, with gasket still on.  Evidence of oil leakage to the rear by Cylinder 5?

bottom of head

Cylinder 1 - metal debris? (its magnetic)

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 5

The back of the drivers side cylinder head. I only see the sensor thing and the coolant pipe.  What else is holding it on?   

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:43:09 PM by nwoods »

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding a 3.5L SOHC motor, or Replacing it - 3Gen Montero
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 07:46:39 AM »
Okay, this thing needs to come out this weekend.  Really hoping for some answers to my above questions.  In the absence of knowledge or advice, my plan is to try to separate the engine from the trans while in the car.   Do I drain the tranny first?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:05:49 AM »
You can leave the trans full, you're basically going to unbolt the engine from the bell housing and unbolt the flexplate from the torque converter. If i were you i would consider getting an engine from LKQ, they had some runners with decent milage plus they have warranty. Just make sure you do your best flushing out the oil cooler, you don't want old engine metal getting into your new engine.

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »
Toasty!  Thanks for your response.  LQK wants about $2,300 for motors around 100,000 miles.  Nope.
Good idea on the oil cooler.  Um... what is that?  How do I flush it?

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 07:37:51 PM »
Well, I determined that getting the drivers side Cylinder head off would make it easier to access the tranny bell housing bolts, so I spent way, way too many hours trying to get that off. Finally did.  The obstacle turned out to be pretty darn silly, I did not remove the bracket holding the transmission oil dipstick up.  Doh!

Anyway, finally got that off and removed the heads.  Cylinder 4 looks bad. Really bad...

I put that down and went back to look at the block.  Holy Moly!  I think I found the problem.  I mean, there's supposed to be a piston in there somewhere, right?  LOL

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 07:44:08 AM »
Damn! That made some noise.

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 09:48:49 AM »
That should be some xbox achievement right there with that piston being gone...Damn! :o
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 07:48:31 PM »
Holy Crap! Where in the world did could it have gone, short of a large piston-shaped hole in the side of the block?
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

My Friend's Super Epic Build Thread

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »
Well, ran into a couple of set-backs, only one of them being the disintegrated piston.  The previous owner never found her title document, so technically, I am not the legal owner of this rig.  That might be rectified soon, but until then, I am hesitate to put more money into this thing, because the motor I bought never showed up and the “company” I bought it from has gone dark.  Bank says my dispute process might take 90 days or so until resolved, so I’m out a grand on that, plus the purchase price of the rig, maybe.   To cap it all off, I’m doing this in the small dirt strip next to my driveway, with an Ez-Up propped up over the engine bay for shade.   City “Commubity Preservation Officer” wrote me up for parking off my driveway and having an unapproved structure within my setback limits, and for having a derelict vehicle in my front yard.  Sigh.

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 05:30:12 AM »
Dang man. That absolutely sucks, all three ways.
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

My Friend's Super Epic Build Thread

JakeP

• "Who brought that Mitsubishi up here?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 02:31:25 PM »
Out of curiosity... Wouldn't the original shop that performed all of that maintenance be responsible for the catastrophic failure of the engine and held liable?

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 10:15:09 PM »
Jake, maybe?  The previous owner was about a done with a vehicle as one can be, it was nothing but a money suck for her, so she was ready to walk away and I didn't have the heart to tell her to fight the service garage for her money back.   But did they forget to put oil in it? Did they mess up the head gasket, or did something new let go and cause all this? I don't know, and don't really care.   Hopefully getting my title soon, then I got to figure out how to buy an engine with out getting scammed again.

Any suggestions on that?

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »
Okay, good news bad news to report:

First, the Good News:
1.  I have a title!  Finally got that cleared up
2.  I got a refund!  The first engine I bought turned out to be a scam, but I eventually got my money back.
3.  The City gave me an extension through August to get my "derelict vehicle" situation sorted out
4.  I bought a new engine!   New one has 44,000 miles. Its a full engine, guaranteed to run with a 1 year warranty. I have pics of the donor truck and pics of the engine ready to ship.  Its scheduled to arrive next Wednesday.   

The Bad News:
1.  I learned (via Facebook>SoCal Monteros) that removing my engine is going to be a true PIA because I can't turn the crank, which means I can't separate the torque converter from the transmission, because I can only access one bolt at a time through the little witness hole under the engine.
2.  As a work around, I may have to remove the oil pan and then try to free up the crank by disassembling the piston rods and popping out the pistons, or the remnants of a piston as the case may be.
3.  Accessing the oil pan may require removing minor obstructions, like the front diff!

This project is moving from nightmare to getting even worse!

The truck as it sits now:

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 02:01:20 PM »
Here is what I hope is the new engine:

JakeP

• "Who brought that Mitsubishi up here?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 07:36:01 AM »
Looks like you got your motor!  Unfortunately I can't help you out with pointers on the swap, that is pretty high above my skill level.  I will be following and good luck!