Author Topic: Rebuilding a 3.5L SOHC motor, or Replacing it - 3Gen Montero  (Read 2195 times)

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding a 3.5L SOHC motor, or Replacing it - 3Gen Montero
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 11:34:24 AM »
Man, I must have the worst luck!   Or perhaps I am going about this all wrong. I really don't know.  I have never bought an engine before, up until recently. I have now purchased two engines, or tried too.  Both times, the money was transferred, but the engines never showed up.  It doesn't seem like it would be all that hard.  There are literally thousands of engines for sale.  Why can't i get one?   Why is every reclaim yard full of scammers and cheats?   Why on earth would they go through all the trouble of communicating with me for weeks, just for for $1,000 or $1,500?  I absolutely hate the junkyard industry.  Might as well look for a fair deal at Fulsom Prison.

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 01:34:30 PM »
Man...this makes me a bit nervous. I am really considering buying a lower milage motor for my wifes Gen 3 next year. We decided she wants to keep her Gen 3 rather for a newer car as our main goal is to buy a home w/ land in the next couple of years.

I am really looking into a lower milage motor rather than rebuilding the current motor for less turnaround time. I can use the current motor as a "build" in the future also. Your experience so far though makes me think twice. I will see if my best friend can source a used one since he owns a shop.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »
I would say don't do it unless have physically seen the motor with your own eyes.  This industry is the most dishonest industry I have ever dealt with.

BOPOH

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 05:37:27 AM »
one month later, any updates? FWIF i went through the same thing with my engine dying in Gen2.5. I bought 2 engines from local junk yards, both from sport so i had to swap the oil pan and oil pick up tube. Don't get discouraged too much, it only seems hard and lots of work but it's not bad. I bought both the engine hoist 2 ton and the engine stand from craigslist for $150. The only thing about pulling the engine with hoist is that it's better be on a smooth concrete or other smooth solid surface.

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 09:49:50 PM »
...The only thing about pulling the engine with hoist is that it's better be on a smooth concrete or other smooth solid surface.

LOL, I'm on dirt.  Yeah, some yanking and pulling for sure to get it up on the driveway and into the garage, but we managed it.

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »
Quick update.  So my second attempt at buying a motor turned out to be another scam, and I lost another $1,500. Such a discouragement!

After a few months searching, I found a donor vehicle at a local salvage yard a local guy to help me pull it out.  I now finally have a replacement engine to start working on!  See below:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:06:29 PM by nwoods »

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 10:24:56 PM »
Okay - Advice Needed

I bought a "new" 3.5L engine from a 2002 Montero that had been rolled.   There was a ton of mud underneath it, so it looks like someone had a good time up until they didn't.  I am hoping that means this motor is running well.   Not being very bright, or very experienced, I spent $90 on a warranty from the salvage yard.  I have 90 days to exchange this motor or return it if I need it.  What I didn't know is they mark every piece of the engine, and assume that I will just drop this motor into my rig without servicing it.

Well, that was not my plan.  My plan was to pull the top off and run a compression test (can you do that just by turning the crank by hand?), and pull the front end off and replace all the timing gear and sensors.  And of course, replace seals and gaskets throughout.

Is it worth installing as is and hoping for the best, or should I just write off the warranty as more money lost on this project, and do a proper rebuild?    I also want to clean this thing, but before I do, I shot a lot of photos of the existing condition to see where all it might be leaking.  Based on the photos below, what do you guys think needs replacing, servicing, etc?

Right rear (Drivers side)

Left rear (passenger side)

Rear cooling pipes

Throttle Body and IAC (intake hose cut off)

Left - Passenger side

Left - Passenger side - Lower

Left Rear lower (passenger side)

Right Front (power steering pump seems to be leaking)

Right front - PCV looks like its got blowback leaking out

Right side lower

Right side upper

Right front again

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »
 Just go through the thing, forget about the $90

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 07:36:39 AM »
and hey, if you're that worried about the purple paint warranty...

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/15226346134823911212_6188115370551026591_3122104?mall=Northwest&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx

really though, almost anything that would require use of the warranty is going to be revealed when torn down for proper maintenance.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
So my suggestion is to take off the pan and inspect it and do a leak down on it. Then change the vss and all the seals. I can help you in the next week or two with this.

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 10:52:11 PM »
Okay, it's confirmed, when it comes to luck, I have none at all.  I cleaned up the salvage motor, pulled off the intake manifold, and pulled out the spark plugs.  The spark plugs were totally saturated in oil.  There was a small lake of oil above the plugs.  This I assume is because the rig had flopped on it's side and thus why it was in the junkyard:

The right bank (drivers side) was worse than the passenger side, and it was the passenger side that was dented from the roll over, so I think this is to be expected, right?

Then I checked compression.  ZERO compression on cylinder #2 and very low compression on cylinder #3.  Turning by hand, i was able to get 30 psi on the other 4 cylinders, and enough to wiggle the gage needed on #3, but #2 stayed right on zero the whole time I turned the crank and it never built up any resistance.  Bummer!

I don't have a leak down tester, but I don't really think I need to do one. It seems that the heads will need to come off no matter what, right?  Dammit!  This truck just eats money. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:54:44 PM by nwoods »

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 03:08:56 AM »
Well your luck is about to get better. I bought a 2001 Montero Limited with about 190k miles that was running just for the motor. I drove it for several days and it had plenty of power. Itís already pulled.  I was going to install it in my SWB monti next spring but I might be convinced to sell it for the right cause. Iím up in Reno btw.

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »
Charger, I like where you're going with this, but money wise I'm tapped out. I'm already over budget and don't have any reserves.  Getting scammed that $2,600 for those first two engines really put a damper on my ability to just keep buying what would be a 4th engine.... If I can't get the one I have to work, I'm tossing into the back of the truck and having the whole thing towed to the junkyard.  I will walk away $4,000 lighter from this "$1,000 mechanics special", and I won't be sad to see it go.

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »
So after running the compression test, and getting no compression on cylinders #2 and #3, I reversed it and blew air through the hose fitting in a poor mans approach to a leak down test (None of the auto shops near me had a leak down tester available for rent!).  I could hear air coming out the intake manifold from both cylinder 2 and 3, and nothing from the exhaust or crankcase, which suggests just bent valves or poorly seated valves.  Only way to really tell is to pull the heads off.

Prior to that, I pulled off the front plate and checked the timing.  Looked okay to me.

Quick video turning the belt to line up:
https://nwoods.smugmug.com/Vehicles/Montero/3rd-Monty-Restoration/i-5k3rWkq/A

Pulled off the right bank (drivers side) and the valves and pistons looks fried but generally sound.  No evidence of bad timing contact, no obviously miss-seated valves.  But the internals of this engine are just disgustingly dirty, including the intake manifold.

Same story for the left bank, though there was  large puddle of oil on top of piston #3......hmmm bad rings?

So now I am looking for machine shop recommendations here in SoCal for redoing the heads. Also, while those are shipped out, what is the best way to clean up the piston heads and clean out the intake from all the carbon junk?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 09:27:07 PM by nwoods »

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »
Here's a quick update because so many of you are following this thread with keen interest....

I got the heads redone, and spent a significant amount of time cleaning up the pistons and block heads and the rest of the engine. Got it all back together with new timing belt, pulley's, water pump, gaskets, cylinder head bolts, tensioner, etc... Got the engine back into the vehicle, and that's where it sits. It took all of last Sunday to get two bolts on the engine to mate with the transmission housing. That was really unfun, but now that its mated, finishing up the tranny connections, torque converter bolts, starter, and exhaust pipes should complete my Saturday, and this Sunday I hope to get the wiring and hoses and manifold installed and ready for the moment of truth!

I have pretty low expectations. After putting the rebuilt heads on, I still did not get any compression in cylinder #3, but #2 came up nicely. So, 5 cylinder motor? Much like my previous montero........