Author Topic: Rebuilding a 3.5L SOHC motor, or Replacing it - 3Gen Montero  (Read 2912 times)

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding a 3.5L SOHC motor, or Replacing it - 3Gen Montero
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2018, 06:35:51 AM »
Curious..what was your ball park investment on rebuilding the heads?  My wifes Gen 3 needs to get the valve stem seals replaced...I am debating on finding a another 3.5 and freshen that up and swapping the original motor.

Trying to weigh which is more cost effective. Motor runs like a champ and still very quiet ...just the valve stem seals are the issue. Currently sitting at 194k...and seeing if its worth refreshing the heads and slapping them on or buying a "lower milage" motor, refresh it with new seals, front case service, etc and swapping it. The Gen 3 is going to be a lifer unless other circumstances force me to get rid of it.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding a 3.5L SOHC motor, or Replacing it - 3Gen Montero
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 09:39:10 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response. I didn't get an alert that someone had posted in this thread!
I paid about $150 for each head to be fully cleaned, machined, new seals, rebuilt lifters, and what looked like new valves they were so shiny.

To finish the saga, I finished reassembling the truck, but it was unhappy, and the cylinder head that was NOT rebuilt was the culprit.  Put a bore scope down the spark plug tube and could see that the valves were not seating properly.  Wasn't much, but enough to make it run poorly.

So I took it apart again and had the second head redone, reassembled, and life is groovy. It's running great now, better than ever.