Author Topic: Resurrection of The Canyonero  (Read 612 times)

Canyonero

• AZ CREW
  • I need a nap
    • View Profile
Resurrection of The Canyonero
« on: July 05, 2018, 05:25:55 PM »
This won't be a build thread per se, but documentation of getting my rig back running again for anyone coming along in the future that might be in the same spot. Maybe this belongs in just the Mitsu section instead of a build thread, so Mods, please move accordingly.

Without boring people to death, myself and my truck have been sidelined for a number of years for various reasons, and it's time to get myself and my rig back into action.

There's a long thread back on the 'Wire detailing my issues with this truck from the beginning. I may go back and find the link at some point for posterity, but the fellas in the AZ Crew know the journey well.

To catch everyone up on the deal, I parked my truck around 2.5 years ago when I had a pretty significant loss of power. I bought a new vehicle to get my carcass to and from the Jay Oh Bee so I didn't have to depend on my truck as a daily driver, but now my son is almost of driving age and the solution to needing another vehicle has been sitting in my driveway up until yesterday, when the kids and I power washed a ton a of dirt, scum, and black widows off it's neglected undersides, and pushed it up the driveway and into the garage. 

I'm torn where to start first, as it's been a number of years since I've wrenched on one of these rigs, and with it sitting, not started for a long time. The valve stem seals had been leaking for a significant amount of time, so I'm hoping the damage is minor, and I can do the seals, gaskets, timing belt and water pump, replace the cat and start driving. Along with a multitude of other things that need to be done to it.

Things I might do first:

Compression test - Not sure with the engine being cold if this is going to be a valid test. All the things I've read state in order to get accurate readings the engine needs to be warm.

Leak-down test - This will tell me if there is any internal issues with the engine, (i.e. rings, valves, etc), and what percentage of air might be leaking out, but not if I'm getting good compression across all cylinders.

Do above maintenance - valve stem seals, new cat because of all of the burning oil, and all of the standard maintenance items including coils, wires, etc. and see what happens.

PA_JERO has once again offered his help to get going again, since we live close and he's a good dude. So I'm grateful for that as always.

Cheers, and looking forward to hitting the trails again soon.

J
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:28:02 PM by Canyonero »
1995 Montero SR
2" Body Lift
35"x 12" Cooper Discover STT tires
Currently dead but working on it.

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS - Daily Driver

PA_JERO

• View Profile
Re: Resurrection of The Canyonero
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:38:30 PM »
Yaaaaay! He's back!

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 07:47:16 AM »
Good to have you back, hope it works out for you this time.

jaccox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 09:10:18 AM »
as for the compression test you'd be looking for uniformity vs actual set numbers on a cold one. Could always drop a smidge of oil down in to help seal off the rings to get a more accurate cold compression test. Pretty much the same for leak down, looking for uniform numbers rather than a set number. If i had to choose with an engine described as power loss I'd go with leak down and find out if its valves, head gasket or rings. Good luck dude I'm sure the AZ guys will get you back up in no time.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 08:14:55 AM »
Canyonero. Now there's a name that I haven't seen in a while.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
Canyonero IS an AZ crew guy. We need jay to go out on the trails with us again.

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 12:35:37 PM »
Canyonero IS an AZ crew guy. We need jay to go out on the trails with us again.

He'll have to re earn his Az Crew decal because we didn't have decals back then.

Canyonero

• AZ CREW
  • I need a nap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 02:36:44 PM »
Is my super secret decoder ring still valid?
1995 Montero SR
2" Body Lift
35"x 12" Cooper Discover STT tires
Currently dead but working on it.

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS - Daily Driver

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 11:09:44 PM »
Hell yes, that decoder ring, should it exist, because, well, it's secret, is valid. No one has broken the code so we didn't have to change it.

Hold off on the catalytic converter change-out until you have an engine that's not feeding oil into the exhaust. Then, I'd advise giving it the ol' number 7 with Seafoam and running the hell out of it to clean out the existing exhaust and see where that takes it. It's quite possible you find it'll function again once degunked and hot.

We've missed you Jay. Hope to see you back in action soon. I can't do ALL the crazy by myself.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 2 sets of tires rotting in the sun, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, no action
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero