Author Topic: Locker Compressor Temperature in Engine Bay  (Read 2143 times)

RockyMountainMS

• Mountain Trails and Mountain Roads
Locker Compressor Temperature in Engine Bay
« on: July 08, 2018, 04:50:47 AM »
I just wanted to see how many people have their compressor mounted in the engine bay like I do. I have caught a little bit of flack for it on some other forums because the heat will kill the comoressor. As some of you may know, I have the TRE kit, a Chinese copy of ARB. I am still waiting on a response from TRE about temperature tolerance.

I found out that the max ambient temperature of the ARB pump is 212 degrees F. It has an automatic shut off at 239 degrees F.

I decided to get some temperatures on my pump for myself yesterday. I drove for an hour in 90 degree heat and took a reading as soon as I got to my destination (130 degrees F) I also did this after getting home (115 degrees F). So it seems while driving, temperatures remain pretty cool. Keep in mind, I did install a hood scoop. The hottest temperatures I got were at idle, not moving which got to 138-140 degrees F. Still Well away from ARB max ambient temperature. So hopefully it is staying cool enough.

Running a trail will probably cause more heat too. Vehicle is working really hard but not moving fast enough for maximal airflow. More information to come!
1999 3000GT VR-4 (45,000 miles)
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT
2017 Chevy Sonic (DD FTW)

Crumb

Re: Locker Compressor Temperature in Engine Bay
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:36:44 AM »
Mine doesn't seem to care, it's mounted on the passenger fender well. Next time I'm wheeling I'll take some temp readings.

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »
Thanks for the response! How long has yours been in the engine bay? I have mine mounted on the drivers side near the battery. I am going to finally get out to the trails next weekend! So I can get that data on my hood scoop performance too. I used the device you sent me to get my readings for the pump. Thanks again for your help with that!
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

Crumb

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »
 No problem! I've had it for less than a year, but it is surviving our summer here so far. I doubt it get's to 200 degrees on the fender well of my truck but we can compare readings.

DezRacer25

• Roamer!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:22:36 AM »
I've had mine mounted on passenger fender of Gen 1 for 28+ years and I'm on my third one now. First two were ARB one older style second newer style and the third one is a HF modified with the small ARB tank. I never really thought about the heat thing under my hood I thought my problem was I was airing up tires with it because that made the little units fairly warm. Hey I still get about 10 years out of a compresser so I guess I can't complain. I have a little infared temp gun I will take on my next big trip and start taking temps under there next to it.
Do it today for tomorrow it will be illegal!

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 07:35:36 AM »
10 years sounds like a pretty good amount of time to me! I hope mine lasts that long. But it is Chinese. Worse case scenario, it dies, I work my way home without a locker and put a better compressor on. I guess I could buy heat shield material and attempt to protect it.
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

DezRacer25

• Roamer!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »
These days I carry a CO2 tank for airing up tires which can be used as a backup for your airlocker. just need to charge the system to get locker to work then leave it locked till you hit pavement or don't need it any more for that particular trail.
Do it today for tomorrow it will be illegal!

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »
These days I carry a CO2 tank for airing up tires which can be used as a backup for your airlocker. just need to charge the system to get locker to work then leave it locked till you hit pavement or don't need it any more for that particular trail.

That's a good idea, what does your setup look like?
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
On a side note, I am hitting the hardest trail I have done tomorrow. Might not be a big deal for some of you guys but it was challenging for me. It is a combination of two trails. Bill Moore Lake/Empire Loop. Last time I went, I didn't have a locker and I had to get a running start and just mash through some spots. It wasn't enjoyable for fear of breaking things. Now that I have this locker, I should be able to "crawl" up and methodically pick lines. I will get engine bay and air compressor temperatures while I am up there.
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT

RockyMountainMS

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 06:30:22 AM »
I got some temperature readings while I was out on the trip. At highway speeds, my compressor stayed nice and cool at 82.8 degrees F. It was a cool morning so that helped. The hottest my compressor got was 178.9 degrees F while crawling when it was 90 degrees F outside. So that's not too bad.

I got some information about my specific pump too. The maximum ambient temperature the TRE pump can handle before damage occurs is 150 degrees C (302 degrees F) which is really hot. But those numbers are from their tech department, so it must be right.
2004 Montero Sport LS
2016 Outlander GT