Author Topic: Cracked Exhaust Manifold (Left)- Headers?  (Read 2305 times)

henry510

• cranky bolt!
Cracked Exhaust Manifold (Left)- Headers?
« on: July 12, 2018, 06:42:42 AM »
Hi All,

I've unfortunately discovered a small crack in the driver side exhaust manifold of my 97 SR 3.5L (245K). I thought it was just a bad gasket but alas- it is not so. It's small enough that the noise goes away once the car is warm.

I've got a new OEM on order but started to wonder, are there any options folks know of for improvement- eg headers?

It's a super pain to get at all this- but if I'm going to go there and can improve performance a bit...

Thanks for any insight or advice.
1997 Montero SR- 242K and counting

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Cracked Exhaust Manifold (Left)- Headers?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:23:37 AM »
Australia, there's a couple guys working back channel R&D for some American made ones, but no timeline exists.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:13:39 PM »
Redbacks / Hurricane are good to go. They will need a slight mod to 1 runner on the lhd side. Fed trucks only. CA emissions will require the cats removed and 02 moved / ecu modded.

Hi All,

I've unfortunately discovered a small crack in the driver side exhaust manifold of my 97 SR 3.5L (245K). I thought it was just a bad gasket but alas- it is not so. It's small enough that the noise goes away once the car is warm.

I've got a new OEM on order but started to wonder, are there any options folks know of for improvement- eg headers?

It's a super pain to get at all this- but if I'm going to go there and can improve performance a bit...

Thanks for any insight or advice.

henry510

• cranky bolt!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 07:40:57 AM »
Thanks @kalieracer!

I found these for the Hurricanes http://www.hurricane.com.au/hurricane/products.php?product=1&service=5&make=22&model=121&page=1  Which looks like will work with my 97 SR 3.5

Do you have any experience with them, or know someone who has?
1997 Montero SR- 242K and counting

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 12:11:12 PM »
I went with the the Redback / Wild cat over the Hurricane only because they would allow slightly easier install and modding if I wanted to run a larger pipe out of them. Hurricanes are what is sold by RPW for their builds in AU. The specs are the same for both companies when it comes to the pipe size what is different is that one is longer vs short header. Short headers give more low end vs mid to high. Hurricanes have larger outlet at the y collector, but for my application that does not matter as it was modified to go 3 inch vs 2.5. You will also need to weld in an EGR bung no matter what set you get. No biggie but putting it out there.