Author Topic: Off-road Overheating Issues  (Read 2341 times)

JakeP

• "Who brought that Mitsubishi up here?"
    • View Profile
Re: Off-road Overheating Issues
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 02:06:42 PM »
Hey Aaron, thanks for the reply! 

As I mentioned in my previous post, my radiator developed those two pinhole leaks and I am having the hardest time trying to source an OEM type radiator.  I brought my unit to a couple of shops around town and they both basically said don't even bother, get a new one.  All I can find are cheap build, single core with plastic end cap examples.  Do you know of any options for a replacement? 

Or does anyone on the forum know of a replacement radiator option?  I went to a local junk yard to look at a '95, and it looked in worse condition than mine.

At this point there isn't a rush.  My starter is getting rebuilt because that took a shit on me too so I am driving the S2K until I can get this all sorted out.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 02:10:27 PM »

Or does anyone on the forum know of a replacement radiator option?  I went to a local junk yard to look at a '95, and it looked in worse condition than mine.

I believe CSF model #3050 might work for you.    Check for yourself before buying, of course. 

JakeP

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »
Shovel - This is one I am torn over.  It is my fit, and seems like it is all metal with copper/brass internals.  I can get one shipped for around $200 and thinking of going this route but on the Jeep/Toyota forums the general consensus is the build quality is not up to par and it will develop cracks under pressure.  I have literally been researching every single option out there and don't have an answer.  There is a company out of AZ called Performance Radiator, their's looks like it could be a good choice too.

**Edit - Just ordered CSF 3050 from CarID for $211.  Hopefully I get a good one.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:51:09 PM by JakeP »

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »

JakeP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 08:51:22 PM »
https://shop.performanceradiator.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_27225_27588_27625_27626&product_id=9609

They're local to us. I'll try to drop in and check one out in person.

Please let me know what you think. These can be had on Auto Parts Warehouse for $230. It was down to this or the CSF, and ultimately I went with CSF because I cannot find any info on these Performance ones. No reviews, no forum threads, hardly any company info. Also the description doesn't specify if it's all metal, just the core materials which are better than most aluminium options out there.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »
https://shop.performanceradiator.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_27225_27588_27625_27626&product_id=9609

They're local to us. I'll try to drop in and check one out in person.

Please let me know what you think. These can be had on Auto Parts Warehouse for $230. It was down to this or the CSF, and ultimately I went with CSF because I cannot find any info on these Performance ones. No reviews, no forum threads, hardly any company info. Also the description doesn't specify if it's all metal, just the core materials which are better than most aluminium options out there.

They really know their stuff and have a nice facility. I will say that I got a radiator for my 7.3 Turbo-Diesel E350 Ford van from them and it was great, they even steered me toward a better unit at the same price when I came in and talked to them for a bit.

If they're good quality I'll see what they can do for pricing, maybe ADD will help them move some.

JakeP

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 07:40:34 AM »
Sounds like a great business opportunity to partner up with them!  I know the Land Cruiser community has a guy that makes specialty radiators for them.  Too bad I ordered the CSF last night, otherwise I would have tried the Performance and written a review.  Sounds like you've had good experiences with them. 

Our options are extremely limited for radiators.  Either cheap Rock Auto or local parts store units (Chinese/Taiwanese), OEM (~$700), salvage yard (good luck finding a clean example local to you), or CSF and to a lesser degree sounds like Performance could be a viable option. 

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 12:22:59 PM »
 They're the best of the worst. Pieces of shit in the long run though, I've owned two both lasted a month or so out of warranty. The cores and tanks are super thin, they're not really rebuildable either.
 Performance Radiator basically just sells the same Chinese radiatior CSF does so essentially you did buy one. A good radiator shop can build a quality radiator for $3-400 based on your OEM part, the important thing is the side strap offset. The aftermarket radiators have flat straps instead of stamped so they sit back up to ⅜" farther than stock and are known to cause the lower hose to interfere with the AC clutch ruining your day/engine.

JakeP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 01:22:42 PM »
Well, I just received a call that my order has been canceled because CSF no longer makes the model for our truck.  I may need to settle for an aluminum radiator to get my unit back on the road.  Not really sure what other options I have.  The radiator shop market in Denver is dwindling, so custom is not going to happen here. 

I can get a lifetime one from Advance with 20% off to get on the road and maybe eventually source one from a parts truck that pops up CL here down the road.  Or keep trying to get mine fixed.  But at this point I need to get back on the road, the S2K is a track car, hate driving it around town.

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
Probably can find another metal radiator from someone else's stock. They're out there, when i bought the second one from Performance Radiator they only had the new aluminum model at their Phoenix warehouse but had the metal one in Mesa which was actually closer to my house and what i was willing to settle for anyway.  Check with some other retailers and Amazon.

JakeP

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 08:46:18 AM »
Got all my parts on Friday and finished up the flush over the weekend.  I did end up getting my radiator from Advance.  It's a plastic/aluminum design that's made by Spectra.  I understand this rad is crap but I am willing to make that sacrifice until I can get an OEM from a parts truck.  One will pop up soon and this will get me by in the meantime.  Anyway, parts removed and replaced:

Radiator
Radiator cap
Theromstat
Engine aux fan
Upper/lower cooling hoses
Hose clips
Starter rebuilt

All parts pulled off except thermostat were original Denso from the factory.

Rig was down for 8 days, so I took the time to do some corrosion control.  I've never done this on a car but used to perform this maintenance on our helicopters when I was in the Marines.  My paint color choice is questionable at best... But it turned out good and looks better than before.  I also snagged the windshield trim from that truck at the yard last Saturday, painted it, and ordered some new clips off eBay.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 07:54:01 AM »
Only option here is to get a proper mfg to make replacements. I have been working on this project for the last year and we are setting up a group buy for US made Alloy units.

Shovel - This is one I am torn over.  It is my fit, and seems like it is all metal with copper/brass internals.  I can get one shipped for around $200 and thinking of going this route but on the Jeep/Toyota forums the general consensus is the build quality is not up to par and it will develop cracks under pressure.  I have literally been researching every single option out there and don't have an answer.  There is a company out of AZ called Performance Radiator, their's looks like it could be a good choice too.

**Edit - Just ordered CSF 3050 from CarID for $211.  Hopefully I get a good one.

JakeP

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »
Do you have information on the group buy? Website link?

RyanY

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile

JakeP

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 07:48:50 AM »
I have an update to this thread.  I was finally able to get away for a weekend of climbing 13ers in the Marble/Crested Butte area and drove the Monty hard the whole time.  I did the Lead King Basin loop outside of Marble and drove about 7 miles up Pearl Pass from the Crested Butte side.  Both roads required being in 4Lo for over two hours, slow climbing, and pushing the vehicle over legit obstacles.  In all honesty, Pearl Pass was the roughest road I have ever driven.

The vehicle did great!  All worries about the head gasket are gone, I never once dealt with rising temps on this trip.  I cannot pin-point the exact issue of what was causing my heating issues, but I assume it was a combination of everything in Shovel's post and everything that I replaced/repaired.  In all honesty, the fact that my temps were holding as well as they were with the state my cooling system was in, speaks volumes to how well these trucks were engineered. 

I also need to clarify that I mistakenly spoke about overheating.  I read the owners manual where it describes overheating as getting above the last tick mark on the temp gauge.  I never let my temps get above the 3/4 mark on the temp gauge and therefore never actually overheated.  A better way to describe it would be getting warm.  So, thankfully I was smart enough to know when to stop pushing and not cause catastrophic damage.

Thanks for the responses, Shovel I think your post needs to be stickied because it was very useful.   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:52:35 AM by JakeP »