Author Topic: Son Of Hibachi! portable charcoal BBQ  (Read 236 times)

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Son Of Hibachi! portable charcoal BBQ
« on: July 26, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
I've been looking for one of these units for years. We have a propane BBQ, a nice Napoleon, but isn't the point of camping to take your time and enjoy the little things? The SON OF HIBACHI (love that name) was a hibachi barbie that folds after you light it, to create a chimney effect, getting the coals ready in 10-15 minutes.

It appears to have come out in the 70s. I even found an infomercial from the Oregon Historical Society that featured it in 1976, virtually the same! 

https://youtu.be/13uvHejt4FQ

Anyways, recent years apparently have seen some shortages, and the US distributor (Possibly Mr. Flame?), according to one vendor we talked to recently, is no longer responding to orders, etc. The 2010 version with the carry bag/pouch is showing NOLA everywhere. Amazon and eBay in the US and Canada only show "vintage" versions from the 1980's, which didn't include the "snuff-out pouch".

https://www.ebay.com/b/Son-of-Hibachi/bn_21835695

This pouch was important for us, for portability and quick storage while camping. So I'd all but given up on the idea of getting one.

UNTIL NOW. Last night we were browsing the net, and my wife and I each came across one on Amazon.co.uk. Mine was clearly a knock-off, called the BRAZZZLER (yes, threee Z's, not a typo LOL). It seemed exactly the same, but I read it was a little lighter than the original, and I wondered about it's longevity. Plus, to get it here would cost pretty big, and for a knock-off? Hmmm...

But then suddenly, within minutes of me checking, my wife found new availability showing on UK's Amazon. The original SOHB was being offered by a German Distributor! We jumped on it. It's going to end up costing us $200 of our CAD by the time it gets here, but it is exactly what we were looking for, for years!

I'll do a review once it gets here, but for now I'm pretty excited about this low-tech piece of camping nostalgia that we are adding to our collection.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Re: Son Of Hibachi! portable charcoal BBQ
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:44:32 PM »
I always wanted a good Hibachi and came across those Son of Hibachi things years ago.. always was a "Well..  maybe if my propane grill dies I'll have an excuse" .   

I'll be curious how it works for you!   Though.. I may still not actually spend money on one because my propane camp grill still works after almost 20 years.