Author Topic: Driveshaft limitations  (Read 1993 times)

MoeBoy

• I'm new here!
Driveshaft limitations
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:25:30 PM »
I asked this on MMUSA and Eric directed me here to ask.

With all other limiting factors aside, how much suspension droop can the stock rear driveshaft handle before it comes apart? I see no real slip yoke so there has to be some kind of limitation, but where is that limiting point?

Thanks

Crumb

Re: Driveshaft limitations
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 01:08:09 PM »
You run out of suspension travel first.
 I've got a little more than this but you can stretch them quite a bit over stock. Those are 35" tires

MoeBoy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 03:12:17 PM »
Shocks are the primary limiting factor on stock Rigs right? So with a longer travel shock (which I have) currently my limiting factor is the rubber brake line. If I get the brake line sorted out, I guess I'm wondering at what point I'll need a limit strap to not over extend or damage the driveshaft.

Josh

MudRaider

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »
Wow, you short on time Adam? Spring retainers, limiting straps, extending the upper shock mount after a body lift. All kinds of things. Stainless steel brake line from Summit Racing. How off kilter are you going?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
Because the rear suspension is radius arms the driveshaft length doesn't change much during cycling.  Some Montero use a CV type upper and others use a u joint.   As far as I can tell both are good for as much movement as you will get out of the radius arms, at some point the bushings on the arms will bind and unless you extend your upper shock mounts the shocks will bind before that.

Crumb

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 09:38:50 PM »
Mudraider, yeah i'm working like an idiot and not posting up for realz from a computer unless i'm on my break at my job so while i'm working i usually just flick a message from my tele.

Yeah the arms will max out and that's the end, get the normal longer shocks, extended brake hose, extended locker line, lift coils, spring retainers and call it a day unless you want to go nutty like me. Then get towers, really big shocks, retainers, limit straps, extended lines and droooop!

I am going to coil overs next though, i need ride height adjustment and just better stuff. So all my new stuff is getting 86'd already and someone is getting some sweet hand me downs.