Author Topic: DIY: Reprogram Keyless Entry Remote Fob  (Read 450 times)

nnamssorxela

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
DIY: Reprogram Keyless Entry Remote Fob
« on: August 19, 2018, 07:10:31 AM »
If you have a Gen 3 with weak (or damaged) keyless entry remote fobs, there is a very simple process to reprogram them without any special tools, you only need a paperclip! My symptoms were that over time I had to be closer and closer to my car for the lock/unlock function to work (to lock I had to be almost touching the car, and often needed to press lock several times). Replacing the batteries, cleaning the remote circuit board, and any other tricks were not successful. From what I understand, the crystal or antenna wear out over time and simply have to be replaced. I purchased a ~$20 key off ebay and reprogrammed that, and one of my original fobs, to the car.

*Before starting, make sure you gather all of the remotes you want programmed, a paperclip or short length of preferably solid core wire, the key to your Gen 3 Montero, and of course the Montero needing the keys (with a charged battery).* 

1. Put your key in the ignition, but leave it in the off position. The door chime will likely be audible.

2. Using a paperclip or short length of wire; connect/jumper pins 1 and 4 on the OBD2 port that is located in the driver's side foot well on the right-hand side (for US vehicles).

3. Within 10 seconds of the connecting the 2 pins together, you must press hazard button 6 times. I found it easiest to just reach up while I was on the floorboard and press the hazard button 6 times.

4. Central looking will lock/unlock to confirm entry into programming mode. At this point I do not believe that you are in a rush, but I proceeded with the following steps right away.

5. Press remote lock once, wait a second, then press the lock twice.

6. Doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming. (repeat step 5 for each remote. I found that I pressed them too quickly at first, and had to repeat until the fob triggered the locks.)

7. Turn ignition on to end programming. The process is now complete, and you can turn off the ignition, remove the key, and delight that you can now be more than a few feet away and lock your car!

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
Re: DIY: Reprogram Keyless Entry Remote Fob
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
Great first post! thanks for contributing.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: DIY: Reprogram Keyless Entry Remote Fob
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 08:19:12 AM »
Yeah thanks for sharing, i'd like to add transponder key programming info. Now that we can get keys with built in fobs as a more modern option here would be the next steps for programming one of those.

You will need 2 already programmed keys, it's rumored that you can do it with 1 master key (black handle). I did mine with 1 master and one valet (gray handle), I've done it before with 2 valet keys to program a 3rd, another rumor is that with the master key can program up to 6 keys (i programmed 4 for mine with the master)

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition and turn the ignition
to the "ON" position for 5 seconds.

2. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position and remove the first key.

3. Insert the second valid key and switch the ignition to the "ON"
position within 7 seconds. Theft-alarm indicator will blink twice.
Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position and remove the second
key.

4. Insert a blank (transponder) key, specially cut for your vehicle
into the ignition and switch the ignition to the "ON" position
within 7 seconds.
The theft-alarm indicator will come on for about 3 seconds when
the registration is completed.
If an error occurs, the indicator will blink 3 times.

5. If you want to register additional keys, repeat step 4 within 30
seconds after the theft-alarm indicator flashes in step 3.

**I like keys and fobs for key and fob time**