Author Topic: Rear gate handle broken  (Read 1650 times)

jpr

• I'm new here!
Rear gate handle broken
« on: August 19, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
Hey Gents,
The rear exterior gate handle on my Gen 2 finally gave up the ghost.  Here's a funny thing: the inside handle won't open the gate either, so the gate won't open.

Is there any way to replace the exterior gate handle with the gate closed?

Thanks y'all,
Jeremy

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: Rear gate handle broken
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 02:02:52 PM »
You can bend a stiff bar of metal (think 6x stronger than a coat hanger) like a "J" and use that to push down the lever in the door that the outside handle pushes.   In a pinch it's possible to use a hex wrench to do that.. like 8mm or 5/16" kind of size.

jpr

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 02:25:09 PM »
Thanks Shovel!  I'll give it a shot.

Jeremy

bpw

• I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 11:58:09 PM »
I just fixed my stuck door today, you can take off the interior panel with the door shut and access everything to get it freed up.

My issue was the lever that gets pushed by the handle was stuck so the door wouldn't unlock.  A bit of lube and all good.

jaccox

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 05:19:15 AM »
Yep panel comes off while the door is shut. Then just work the mechanism by hand and have a helper give the door a good tug to get it open.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

jpr

• I'm new here!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 08:02:50 AM »
jaccox,
Thanks!  That should make it super easy/

Jeremy