Author Topic: Super Select Lights and RPM Gauge  (Read 2535 times)

twisterad3

• I'm new here!
Super Select Lights and RPM Gauge
« on: August 29, 2018, 03:34:10 PM »
Life has changed a little bit and my Montero will no longer be a tow to the trail rig like I had planned. It'll be my DD. I will be parting ways with my tow rig f250. :-(
That being said, there are 2 things I really want to fix in my Montero, but haven't had much luck on Google and various forums... so I'm creating a post here at ADD. There are 2 issues I'd really like to address before continuing my Montero build.

1. Super Select Lights aren't working
2. Tach isn't working

What have I don't thus far?
For the Super Select, I've tried a different computer. I checked the bulbs on the dash. I've checked ground wires in both the engine compartment and behind the factory head unit... I can't get it to work. There was one time that the super select lights came on, and even cycled the lights as I switched between 2wd to 4wd.. It worked for a short minute, then has never worked again.

For the tach, I've googled this to no avail. I've tried looking at the schematics in my FSM, but deciphering electrical diagrams is not my forte. I thought there'd be an obvious wire near the coils, but nothing looks corroded or out of place... Just like my super select, the tach worked 2x that I've noticed. 1x for about 2 minutes, the other time for about 30 seconds. No correlation between it all working.

If anyone has fixed these issues before, or can snap a photo of the tach wire that seems to corrode (from what I could find during research), that'd be a great help.

I have a 97 Montero SR, so it's the 3.5 SOHC.

Crumb

Re: Super Select Lights and RPM Gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
 Tach is probably the gauge itself. You can test this with an OBD-2 scanner, if it reads then the computer is seeing a signal. The super select lights are either gummed up detents (cycle it in and out of the ranges 100x to see) or your detent wires are broken.

twisterad3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:21:54 AM »
Thanks toasty.. I found an LS in the wrecking yard and bought the gauge cluster to see if that was the issue with the tach... It worked. I'll be honest... I wasn't expecting that, but willing to try anything!
I'll be tackling the super select next. :-/

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »
There are switches at the transfer case and at the front axle which report the status of your 4wd system - those also report that information to the ABS so it can work appropriately.    You can unscrew the switches and clean and lubricate them off the vehicle, inspect their wiring, and test them manually with a multimeter or continuity light. 

aussieguy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 01:51:58 AM »
There are switches at the transfer case and at the front axle which report the status of your 4wd system - those also report that information to the ABS so it can work appropriately.    You can unscrew the switches and clean and lubricate them off the vehicle, inspect their wiring, and test them manually with a multimeter or continuity light.

There are 5 switches on the transfer case, and 1 switch on the front axle. that report the status of the 4WD system.

Set of switches for transfer case.
MR580151 MR580152 MR580153 MR580154 MR580155
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-set-5-pcs-Transfer-T-F-Gearshift-Position-Switch-MR580151-MR580152-MR580153-MR580154-MR580155-For/32804081894.html
NB When I changed my switches with this kit 2 of the switches where the wrong thread for a NL 2000 Escape model, since the original switch was still good just the wiring had deteriorated we replaced the wiring loom with the new one using the original switch. All good.

MB620790
Actuator,freewheel clutch
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-quality-and-new-arrival-Freewheel-Clutch-Actuator-MB620790-For-Mitsubishi-Pajero-Montero-Shogun-Sport-Challenger/32817025594.html

MB620505
Switch,freewheel clutch
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freewheel-Clutch-Switch-Fits-For-Mitsubishi-PAJERO-MONTERO-II-2nd-V43-V44-V45-V46-4WD-MR196931/32841705506.html

MB620532
Valve,freewheel clutch control solenoid
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-1-pc-For-Mitsubishi-Pajero-L200-L300-V43-V44-V45-K74T-V73-V75-V78-Freewheel/1474397_32817922129.html

Kaioken

• Hi guys, its me Jay
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 07:19:34 PM »
 I am also curious to see if these switches need cleaning on mine. 

I have replaced the solenoid which usually goes bad on these Montys and it has been working well.  Recently I have noticed that when I put it on 4H, the front Super Select lights blink.  Not the typical blink,  More like its set and then comes undone.  Finally, the ABS light comes on.  sometimes the front 2 wheels would stay lit even with the abs light on afterwards. 

I do remember something about lubing the actuator rod itself that goes into the front diff.  Does anyone remember what kind of lube to use?
I'm stuck in Florida...for now
1999 Mitsubishi Montero
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP

agrabau

• I'm new here!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 09:37:23 AM »
Hey guys, rather than make a new thread I thought I'd ask here. All of my super select lights are off after blasting down a bumpy road. They flickered out. Do you think it's the cluster or something in the harness by the switches? 4wd still works as normal. The locking rear diff light also does not work. This, on a 1995 SR>

Thanks

Alex

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »
check the 4wd fuse, 10a, under the drivers kick panel

agrabau

• I'm new here!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »
Will do! This would be so nice if it were the prob.