Author Topic: Pulling the Engine - Torque Converter first, why?  (Read 528 times)

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Pulling the Engine - Torque Converter first, why?
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:33:23 PM »
I need to pull the 3.5L from my Gen 3, (I know, but this Gen 2 forum is more active), and my motor is seized.  The Internet told me that I need to remove the bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate before separating the tranny from the engine "or bad things might happen".   

However, because the engine is seized, I can't turn the crank to get to the torque converter bolts.  It has been suggested that I remove the oil pan and remove the pistons and rods and try to free up the crank from beneath, but doing that means disassembling the front diff, exhaust system, and crossbars.  It sounds a lot like performing rectal dentistry.   

Watching a bunch of youtube videos (because 100% of my mechanical knowledge has been gleaned this way so far), I'm just not seeing the need to remove the torque converter bolts before separating the engine from the transmission.   It looks like these two elements (engine and tranny) are just slip fit together over the input shaft from the tranny into the torque converter.

What am I missing?   I assume I can get the engine out a whole heck of a lot easier if I don't have to dissemble the entire car to do it.  Once the engine is out, I can then flip it over on a stand and work on the oil pan, remove the pistons, free the crank, and THEN unbolt the torque converter..  Or just buy a new one and toss out the old with the engine block.

What I am not understanding?  Anyone do it this way?  Any pitfalls?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling the Engine - Torque Converter first, why?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 08:19:03 AM »

I have had a TC stick to a flex plate a couple times and the TC had to come out with the engine. It's not as hard as it is messy, once you clear the bell housing you tip the motor back and dump all the oil in the TC on your garage floor. It's not easy to snake the engine outnof the bay with TC attached, prepare your favorite words.

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 10:14:18 PM »
Turned out not to be too bad.  I did miss a few bolts underneath, so getting the engine to separate was hard, but one it was unbolted the process of removing it went pretty quickly and easy.  Plenty of room pulling the engine forward with the radiator out.  Plus, and I think this is a big factor, I had the engine stripped down to the block.  Getting a new engine in place will be MYCH harder if itís at all complete.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:42:17 AM »
New motor will have to go in with out the intake manifold or you will have a devil of a time trying to bolt it to the trans.

nwoods

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
Yes I completely agree.  I am extremely impressed and bewildered when I see pictures of complete engines pulled out of Montero's.  How the heck did they reach the bell housing bolts?   

Anyway, here are photos of the half-completed job:

Does anyone know if this is a Reman?

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 01:20:36 AM »
Generally the trans, motor and are dropped together with the front subframe on newer cars.

Yes I completely agree.  I am extremely impressed and bewildered when I see pictures of complete engines pulled out of Montero's.  How the heck did they reach the bell housing bolts?   

Anyway, here are photos of the half-completed job:

Does anyone know if this is a Reman?

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:33:36 PM »
The engine comes out and goes in complete much easier in my opinion. Tearing an engine down in the truck laborious, tedious and often quite messy. The name of the game with those bell housing bolts, and a few other bolts in particular; is extensions and universal joints. those bolts take a 3 foot extension and u-joint. It's not bad once your lined up, having helping hands, of the smaller kind goes a long way. If it's your kids', let them line the sockets up. otherwise, take a flashlight.