Author Topic: Montero Milestones: Labor Day on Padre Island  (Read 235 times)

Se7en62

• The British Empire was built on cups of tea...
    • View Profile
Montero Milestones: Labor Day on Padre Island
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »
Here's a quick look at our Labor Day weekend exploring Padre Island National Seashore in our Montero. Padre Island is the world's longest barrier island and stretches 113 miles from near Mexico to Corpus Christi, Texas, but in the 1960's the federal government dredged a cut to Port Mansfield at the 60-mile marker which split the island in two. Roundtrip, we drove 510 miles on tarmac and racked up 120 miles of 4WD in the sand over 2 days to find the clearest water and most secluded beaches in Texas. You just have to have a 4x4 to access any of them and the Montero got us down and back with ease. - We also hit 200,000 miles on our way home!

Oh and the picture and video is on my GoPro, but we watched a couple fishermen bring in a 9' Tiger Shark at a spot only about 2 miles up the beach.

Here's the route we took. The black designates paved roads and the red designates sand. 'CAMP' was around MM35 and the "CUT" at Port Mansfield is at MM60.

Follow @overland_pajero

1999 Montero "Winter Package" Overland - X3 / ADD / ADHD / ARB / AVN / OME / Bilstein / CVT / DFG / Dometic

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Montero Milestones: Labor Day on Padre Island
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
 Neat, i've always wanted to do a beach trip like that in the Montero but i'm afraid of rust.

Se7en62

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
Neat, i've always wanted to do a beach trip like that in the Montero but i'm afraid of rust.

No need to worry as long as you stay out of the surf, stay off the hard-pack (which is moist), and give it a good wash afterward. If you come this way, hit me up and we'll go.

Here's the video of the 9' Tiger Shark we watched get drug in by a couple fishermen. I made sure to camp 2 miles South (up-current) of them so I wouldn't be swimming in their chum slick.

https://youtu.be/WkEkZvSkC6c

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:50:30 AM by Se7en62 »
Follow @overland_pajero

1999 Montero "Winter Package" Overland - X3 / ADD / ADHD / ARB / AVN / OME / Bilstein / CVT / DFG / Dometic

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »
I wish there were more beaches here in Florida that we could drive on but kinda secluded like the one you visited but unfortunately beaches like Daytona and Cocoa are the closest one you can drive one but too many people to really enjoy a "peaceful" beach surrounding. Majority of the beaches here in Florida that are "secluded" are federally protected for Sea Turtle nesting and other protected wildlife species which I am good with.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

Se7en62

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 07:49:59 AM »
I wish there were more beaches here in Florida that we could drive on but kinda secluded like the one you visited but unfortunately beaches like Daytona and Cocoa are the closest one you can drive one but too many people to really enjoy a "peaceful" beach surrounding. Majority of the beaches here in Florida that are "secluded" are federally protected for Sea Turtle nesting and other protected wildlife species which I am good with.

Yeah, I hear you. - Texas beaches are also protected for sea turtle nesting, but it doesn't stop the beaches from being open to drive on. They just require a  crawling speed-limit during nesting season. The wildlife management folks have a turtle hatchery down on Padre Island that helps maintain the population too. They also invite people out to tour their facility and attend turtle launches. - I think most Texas beaches can be driven on. I've driven the length of North Padre (60mi), Mustang Island (15mi), East Matagorda Island (23mi) and been on Galveston Island but not driven any distance. A couple islands are wildlife refuges so they are only accessible by boat since they are separated by narrow shipping channels.
Follow @overland_pajero

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
In Florida its very strict and highly prohibited obviously especially during the nesting season for the sea turtles. Most famous spot to drive on the beach is Daytona..but that is very crowded during the summer months.

Still wanting to do it sometime...would be very continent to have our Montero on the beach with a awning and able to set up camp for the day and not haul a crap ton of stuff just to enjoy the beach, just have it all in the Montero accessible.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam