Author Topic: Baja 2019  (Read 256 times)

Oso

• Mr Wonderful
  • Half the lies told about me aren't true.
    • View Profile
Baja 2019
« on: September 20, 2018, 05:45:48 PM »
Anyone up for a Baja run? Dates are somewhere during May/June 2019. This will be a long trip - possible in excess of 2 weeks. Because Ive always run this solo with no itinerary it will take me a long time to organize and make a plan, hence the post 8-9 months prior.  Id like to shoot for mid June so Phil can join us. It will be hot, but its baja. Daytime temps will range from mid 80s to 100F depending on elevation and distance from the coast. Nights will be in the mid 60s-80s.

Basic itinerary:

2 days from the border crossing at Otai Mesa southbound on hwy1 to La Paz. These will be 12 hours days of driving winding mountain 1.5 lane highway well share with overloaded semis and citation happy local policia. Day one will end at San Ignacio, an oasis halfway down the peninsula. Day two will end in LaPaz, the capitol of Baja Sur.  We will not drive after dark due to free ranging cattle, Mexican motorcycles, and decreasing radius unbanked hairpin turns with vertical drops of 1000ft or more.

3-4 days in La Paz. The first day or two where we will jump aboard a boat and head north to the Los islotes to swim with wild seal lions, snorkel tropical reefs, and maybe spearfish for dinner. And a day or two in La Paz checking out the city, taste testing mezcal, and feeding on bacon wrapped hot dogs and street tacos while we provision for the run north.

7-10 days northbound, well follow some goat trails, some defunct Baja 100 trails, and other scars in the desert floor in a general northerly direction. Accommodations will be camping  every night either in the desert or on a beach. Usually I just set up a cot to keep the scorpions at bay and fall asleep staring at the stars. The route will take us past lost missions, tiny pueblas, volcanoes, lush arroyos, mountain top vistas,  amazing beaches.. Most of it will be 25 mph travel with a frequent sections that will test your rig and driving skills. We will cross the highway occasionally to refuel, but other than that we will stay off pavement as much as possible. In 2014 I drove a similar route and spent less than 200 miles on pavement and more than 800 miles in the dirt. My last trip took 2+ weeks from LaPaz to the Az border - but I was intentionally lost for most of the trip and easily distracted by abandoned beaches and great spear fishing.

Preliminary requirements are 33 tires, at least one locker, self-recovery gear, 2 spare tires, tools and appropriate spares, 10 gal water, and 10 gal additional fuel. Otherwise minimal gear is recommended to keep your vehicle light. We will inevitably traverse long sections of silt that is a cross between moon dust and quicksand and a light vehicle will get thru with less trouble and be easier to extract if necessary. Besides the items listed, I typically travel Baja with just a cot, tarp, cooler, and small stove.  And a sharp machete. Make sure your suspension is in decent shape as it will get a serious workout. You dont need fancy shocks or springs, but the miles upon miles of  washboard roads will likely be the worst youll ever see so be prepared to rattle the fillings from your teeth. Ive been all over the Southwestern US  and havent seen anything that comes close.

You must be able to wrench on your own rig and willing to help others. If youre more comfortable shopping for mechanics than than fixing your own truck, stay home. Basically drama queens, bullshit artists, and posers with zero off-road experience need not apply. If you are afraid of cross border travel,  threatened by military checkpoints, like to argue politics religion or sport, and feel the need to carry a gun, this is not the trip for you. Especially the gun part. They WILL find it and you WILL go to prison.

So there it is. We have time to put something together. If youre interested please do some research and post up some ideas for things to see and do along the route, This will be a participatory adventure especially for the planning phase so input will be expected and appreciated
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:33:55 PM by Oso »
90 LS - not your average bear.  <((I))>

"You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't."
 - John Prine

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Baja 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 06:17:06 PM »
What's involved in driving your vehicle into Mexico? Is there special 8nsurance required or anything like that?

Oso

• Mr Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:24:41 AM »
Mexican insurance is required. You can buy it online and print the certificates. Its inexpensive.

- John Prine

DezRacer25

• Roamer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 04:12:17 PM »
That sounds like a GREAT trip. Been there done that! Won't be making it though I will be heading north instead. Thanks for the invite though.
Do it today for tomorrow it will be illegal!

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »
Wish I could buddy. Exams run till the end of June, and I probably won't be available until early July. Which is getting pretty hot for this canuck.  :-[

It sounds like an epic trip!

Oso

• Mr Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 07:22:25 PM »
Troy, have fun up north. Take lots of notes for me. Ill be heading that way eventually.

Phil, yeah July gets hot. Its not terrible (40ish C) but it would definitely melt a Canuc. Since youre not able to get out of school earlier I may just move the trip up to mid April so I can get some whale time in before they leave Laguna San Ignacio.  A friend has a panga to take us out to see the whales. They like when you rub their baleen, and the little ones try to get you to swim with them.

- John Prine

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:54:44 PM »
I am sure to be involved with the Shasta Dam raise, or other water project in my area.

Guys, Oso will be a fabulous guide, awesome field cook, and is my designated trail spirit guide.
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale