Author Topic: Getting Super-Select 4WD lights to work with a non-disco front axle. (Solved)  (Read 507 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
I can't believe it took me this long to get around to doing this.

Really simple, when your engine is running and your transfer case lever is in the 2WD position,  there will be 12V going to the vacuum solenoids under your air intake.     When you shift to any AWD or 4WD mode that 12V goes away. 

When your stock front axle is engaged (4WD) the switch on the axle disconnect completes an electric circuit.    When your stock front axle is disengaged that circuit is open. 

So when you put a non-disconnect front axle in your truck you can resolve this problem by obtaining a 12V relay with a NC circuit on it (normal 5-wire relay) - that means one where the relay controlled circuit is completed when no voltage is present on the trigger,  and becomes open when the trigger is given 12V.   

Wire the trigger where your vacuum solenoids used to be,  connect the NC circuit where your axle switch was and as far as your Montero is concerned the stock front axle will be obeying its every command.     You still have to lock and unlock your manual hubs manually, of course but shifting into 2wd with the hubs locked won't make anything wacky happen. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:33:06 PM by Shovel »

aussieguy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Thanks that is a great solution for when I get around to switching out the auto-hubs for manuals.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
My hero!

jaccox

• View Profile
You the man Shovel. No more ABS light in 4wd
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

B

• Mitsubishi Hoarder
    • View Profile
Getting ready for my 4.90 swap with the non-disconnect front axle assembly from a Sport. I have ordered the specified relay on Amazon, is there any photos you could provide of how all this is wired together? I just want to make sure I have everything wired correctly on my 2000 Gen 2.5. I also block off all the vacuum lines going to the engine, correct?
2000 Montero LWB 3.5 SOHC Endeavor

1990 Eclipse GSX 2.0 Turbo AWD E-85

1991 Talon TSi 2.0 Turbo AWD

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
I don't have photos, but there is really nothing to it.   There are two wires to the solenoids and two wires to the front axle position switch.     The two wires to the solenoids connect to the trigger of your five-wire relay (any polarity doesn't matter) and the two wires from your front axle switch connect to the normally closed contacts on the relay - any polarity.   That's it.

For the vacuum you just need to cap the little vacuum nipple on top of the intake manifold near the driver side windshield wiper.