Author Topic: Shift Kits  (Read 1264 times)

bpw

• I'm new here!
Shift Kits
« on: October 13, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »
Am looking at getting a trans-go shift kit for my 1998 Montero, has anyone done and install and able to give an idea of how involved the process is?  Transgo doesn't seem to have installation instructions posted on the web anywhere.

Crumb

Re: Shift Kits
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 01:54:31 PM »
 Look up for a Jeep AW4 or Toyota A340 and you will find better results, our trans has almost the same valve body.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »
You don't need to drop the transmission but you do need to drill, and you need to have a clean organized work area and a reliable torque wrench that does inch pounds. 

bpw

• I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 10:07:55 PM »
Thanks, very helpful.

jaccox

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:20:20 AM »
Toast and Shovel hit it on the head. I have the kit in my garage as well as the fluid, pan gasket, new solenoids and had planned to have a crack at it this winter. However just tore my ACL last week and surgery is set for Nov. 1st, so not quite sure I'll be getting it done this winter. Biggest problem is possibility of tearing one of the valve body gaskets when removing them from the plate. My plan was to get a junkyard valve body and do the process (separating the plates and drilling the 3 holes) so that if a gasket tore I wasn't up the creek. I have not been able to source a way to purchase just the valve body gaskets outside of buying a whole rebuild kit.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.