Author Topic: The Half Monti  (Read 688 times)

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
The Half Monti
« on: October 25, 2018, 09:03:30 AM »
No more lurking. Time to make it official. Spent the last several years looking for a good candidate semi-locally. I did get sidetracked with several V6 Mighty Max's, but I vaguely remember these being much easier to find not too long ago.

I ended up purchasing a high mileage 1989 Montero SWB V6 locally out of Reno. It has what appears to be a bad head gasket, destroyed muffler and its fair share of leaks, but all in all it the body and frame are in better than average condition. Notable missing features: No LSD, No bouncy seats. :(  I do have a 5 speed though.

The day I picked her up. All tucked away in a garage for 5 years.

Finally pushed her out and onto the dolly. Doesnt look too bad for being loaded with dust and spider webs.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: The Half Monti
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 09:14:22 AM »
Update :

Been super busy with wife and kid this week. My son doesn't like to sleep through the night. :( I did manage to pressure wash the truck and get it offloaded though.

As you all already know the battery is beyond dead in the Monti, so i had to rob one from the Ram 50 to get it started. After a shot of Ether and a very hesitant crank from a nearly destroyed starter she started up! Hitting on all 6 cylinders i let her run for about 2 minutes while low on coolant. If only you all could have seen the cloud of white smoke that developed. lol, it was massive.

I then unstrapped the truck from my dolly and started her back up to see if she would come off under her own power. Good news, reverse works, as well as all the forward gears. No binding or grinding. I do have to admit that you sit up quite tall in the cockpit and can see around you very well. Quite a bit better than the XJ to be honest. Anyways took her down the block real quick going through all the gears and came right back to put her in the driveway. Drove very smooth the whole time and turned quite sharp in the middle of the road.

Here she is parked in the driveway, ready for the next phase:

The engine bay with its fair share of surface rust. Looks like you can scrub it down still and repaint.

The very dirty interior.

Back end. Rear bumper was painted black at one point, but looks horrid now. Im hearing that gen2 bumpers are interchangeable between the two. If so then I have a nice chrome unit from the SR that I can swap over.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 09:23:40 AM »
Installed the new wheels this weekend. I thought I would have more "poke". Thankfully its not too bad. Here you can see the side by side comparison to the stock wheels.

Clearance seems to be good except the front bumperettes. They rub at like a 25deg turn. Ill need to trim, remove them, or the whole bumper. Cant decide on which at the moment. The rear suspension seems to be sitting real nice. The front however is a bit low and spongy. I may try to tighten the torsion bars and then install the SR upper A arms for more clearance.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:28:25 AM »
Update:

Had myself a nice long weekend. Where do i start? Saturday morning.

How about here with a 3.0L engine that supposedly has high miles and is consuming coolant and blowing white smoke out of the exhaust.

My son coming out to help dad. Hes only a year old, but man does this boy love to wrench. He didn't want to leave dad at all and cried the rest of the day (according to mom). Even picked up my screwdriver and attempted to insert it in every hole of my front cross-member.

Ok back on topic. Whats going on in this picture? First off you will notice the heads are off. Also, will notice that I have all new timing componentry from the last rebuild, new oil pump, new water pump, new felpro steel w/permaseal headgaskets (the good stuff). You may also notice the dent in my lower firewall. Pretty sure my trans has been removed and serviced at some point.

So what would normally be found underneath a head gasket? An engine block? Nope, how about a steel shim. Yea, this is what was used to apparently shim my heads. Yes the heads were decked, but I check the indicators and it appears to be minimal. Could this be the cause of my burning coolant???

I removed the shim and then had a look at the deck surface. You can see that the last re-builder felt it was important to use "Copper Spray-A-Gasket" to adhere this shim to my block. :/

Im sure by now your eye is able to start to see which cylinder is all sparkly from the coolant steam cleaning that has been going on. Cylinder # 5 here is where the play has been happening. Hard to tell anything yet, other than those pistons are clean, and im pretty certain they arent the originals. Also notice that every cylinder has been battered pretty well by some debris that pounded them into the heads.

After a quick wire wheel cleaning of the gasket material we get this. I believe the lower left section where the coolant passages have the minor pitting is where the water was seeping into the cylinder. Luckily neither the head nor block suffered any pitting across the fire ring (unlike my Ram 50). All I did was take some 200 grit sandpaper and gently clean up the block. Surfaces cleaned up well. I will note however that both heads felt well under torque. Yes, it felt like they had maybe 40 Ft Lbs at max. On the ram I used the breaker bar and had to lean into it a bit while the bolts made a light creaking sound before letting go. These weren't close to that.

To be continued...

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »
Continued...

Here is the head adjacent to that cylinder. You can see that its been milled. Also the valves do not match the same casting as what was on my Ram 50. I believe they installed all new valves and at least Viton VSS.

While disassembling I noticed that my drivers side exhaust manifold had a severe crack across more than 50% of its circumference. Hoping to nip it in the bud I fired up the Tig and tried a special cast iron welding rod with extra Nickle. Welds went down but the cast iron wasn't having any of it. Ended up cracking most of my welds anyway. Guess im on the hunt for another drivers side manifold. :/

All put back together! Should run right?

Try again. Tried cranking the motor. Starter motor would free wheel, but not engage with the flywheel. 20 min of tapping/hammering the brand new reman unit and it cranks. Yay! Crank, crank, crank....no ignition. Well, about now my battery is staring to slow. Grab some Ether. Spray....spray...spray....Houston we have a problem. No ignition. Spent another hour trying to track down electrical gremlins in the dark, and now frigid 40 deg temps. Check all connections to dizzy, injectors, ECU, change out IAC. Nothing is working. Then I remember I still have my coil and PTU from Mad Max. Grab that boy and dangle him off the front of the engine. Go to crank it......We....have...Ignition! Idles perfect (for being cold), so i start adding coolant.

Let her warm up and open up the heater. You may notice from the first pics that someone disabled the heater core by bypassing it at the rear of the block. Anyways I let it sit for about 20 min while I clean up my tools and then take her around the subdivision. Spent the next 40+ minutes driving around with some idling in between. No noticeable leaks yet, and no white smoke!!!

I also have to mention that this motor has quite a bit of pep. For having 33" tires it did well 1st through 3rd. Will have to see if that is the same at highway speeds down the line.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 09:35:17 AM »
Weekend Update:

Had a lot of other things going on this weekend with the family, so not much accomplished. I did however look into swapping out the rear bumpers on my 89 and my 95 SR and I think I can make it work with a little welding. Will have to see. Also changed out the frothy oil from the leaky head gasket. Running some nice 15W-40 now.

Got the chance to take her out on the road a little (sloppy as hell with those huge tires) as well as climb my favorite little mountain for a photo shoot. 4x4 worked great but im pretty sure this rig still only has an open rear diff. Managed to climb some steep cliffs and scare the crap out of myself though. I thought the Jeep was fun. The SWB might just take the cake.

Still needs some suspension, tires, brake upgrades along the way, but im starting to get attached to this little thing.

johneric

• Should have made that left...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 11:41:10 AM »
really enjoying this build thread! don't worry - you can find the LSD and the bouncy seats in the junkyard with some patience. there's also the opportunity with this rig to pull the LSD from a Starion and it is a direct fit for the FRONT diff.

keep the pics coming!
1989 Montero SP
3.0L V6 SWB

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
Appreciate the encouragement! Yea, Iíve got a lot I would like to do to this rig. Luckily Iíve found the bouncy seat and a rear lsd with my same gears so that should be a direct swap. One of the things that I am having a hard time finding is the front lsd from a Starquest you mentioned. That would be ideal to come across.

johneric

• Should have made that left...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 02:45:57 PM »
sign up for notifications from Row32 and LKQ so you'll hear about it when one turns up. mine came from a montero owner that had decided to go with a locker instead. good hunting!
1989 Montero SP
3.0L V6 SWB

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 08:19:17 PM »
sign up for notifications from Row32 and LKQ so you'll hear about it when one turns up. mine came from a montero owner that had decided to go with a locker instead. good hunting!

Good idea although Iíve already got a row 52 account. I frequently our two yards this side of the sierras often and have yet to ever see a starquest. They honestly never show up. I have to look to the Bay Area in CA to ever see anything pop up for sale.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 08:39:56 AM »
Wheel Update...

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
Toyota rims?

Looking good.
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 08:57:29 AM »
You got it. 2018 Limited Tacoma.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 09:02:30 AM »
With some good all terrains I think the 18's look good. Remind you this is on a stock 290k mile suspension. I haven't played with any sort of lifting or tightening the front torsion bars. I think with a 2" lift it would look ideal.

Hooots

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »
Enjoying the build! Lookin good !
"AZPAJERO" - 1997 Gen 2 Montero SR, 5.29 gears, 37" tires, Detroit front locker, Factory rear

Follow IG: https://www.instagram.com/azpajero/