Author Topic: 1996 SR won't start  (Read 1235 times)

magoh

1996 SR won't start
« on: October 25, 2018, 10:27:53 PM »
My '96 Montero won't start. Gonna trailer it home tomorrow to look at it but doing some research in the meantime. Here's the symptoms, what do you think?

• Doesn't crank.  Can sometimes hear a click inside the cabin when attempting to start but that's it. Had my dad helping and he thought he saw the belt turn a hair when attempting to start.
  • Voltmeter comes up to 12V very slowly when key is "on" position. If I wait for it to come up, then try to start, I hear more clicking, like if the battery was too low to start. However:
  • Interior and headlights come on and seem bright. but:
  • Plugged my OBDII reader in, but it won't power on even when key is in "on" position.
  • Jumping does no good, even if I leave the cables on for a long time.
  • The battery is about 13 months old.

Found some info in this thread I'm going to check into: https://forum.adventuredrivendesign.com/index.php/topic,363.0.html but if you have any other ideas that would be swell.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: 1996 SR won't start
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 08:45:37 AM »
I replied on your Facebook post but you have a bit of info here that you didn't type there. 

So as I said on Facebook,  jumper your starter's + (battery cable) post to the spade connector on the solenoid and see if the starter cranks over - it should do so enthusiastically because you're bypassing everything except the battery and ground primary cables.

If it does not crank at that point either your starter is bad (try smacking the shit out of it) or your battery cable, battery terminal clamp,  or your ground cable(s) between the battery, chassis and engine are bad.      Investigate these well,  there is a ground cable between the frame and the a/c compressor that people always forget to reconnect when servicing the a/c compressor or timing belt.       No such thing as too good/too many grounds. 

If it does crank when you jumper the +batt post on your starter to the solenoid trigger,  then your problem is upstream of that.    The circuit for this is very simple:  Battery to ignition key switch to alarm to transmission neutral safety switch to solenoid.   That's it.   So you can check at each of those locations with a multimeter and zero in on the broken circuit easily. 

Additional checks:   make sure that your starter's +batt terminal has 12v while attempting to crank.    That means one person on the ground under the vehicle probing the starter +batt post with a volt meter (to chassis ground with other probe) while another person turns the key to start and holds it.    If the voltage drops to little or nothing, then you have a ground cable or battery cable problem (or battery post clamp failure)

The in-dash voltmeter is going to move slowly and is almost certainly wrong.   I'll have to link a video about that later (it's recorded but I don't have a link handy right now) - you can ignore it for now.

magoh

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 06:30:43 AM »
I appreciate your help. It ended up being the starter that was bad. Would still like to see your video about the in-dash voltmeter when you get it up.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
I appreciate your help. It ended up being the starter that was bad. Would still like to see your video about the in-dash voltmeter when you get it up.

Here ya go  https://youtu.be/jFYUU0Tsrv4