Author Topic: Lifters - updated version for 1998  (Read 674 times)

Charon

• AZ CREW
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Lifters - updated version for 1998
« on: November 16, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
Does anyone have the part number on the updated lifters for a Gen 2.5 (1998)?
Has anyone done that job yet? Any gotchas? I need to do valve stem seals and figured why not upgrade.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Lifters - updated version for 1998
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:47:32 AM »
The old part number is no longer available, so what they give you at the dealer is the new style. Your truck should have the newer style lifters aleady but that doesn't mean they don't need to be replaced. Order from Partsouq.com as they have the best deal, Clay just ordered a set. There are some aftermarket ones i can't speak for but they can be purchased through one of the 3000GT retailers.

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 08:24:52 AM »
The old part number is no longer available, so what they give you at the dealer is the new style. Your truck should have the newer style lifters aleady but that doesn't mean they don't need to be replaced. Order from Partsouq.com as they have the best deal, Clay just ordered a set. There are some aftermarket ones i can't speak for but they can be purchased through one of the 3000GT retailers.

Yep, I got mine from Chris Hill at ninjaperformance.com.  Great company to deal with, has a good supply of components there.

evomaki

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 07:06:22 AM »
Replying to an old thread here, but I need to replace my lash adjusters for a second time.  2000 Gen 2.5.  I went with the Melling Chinese made versions from Autozone as they were the only aftermarket source I could locate.  Looks like there are others, had I only known.  My cheap Melling units tick annoyingly.  I primed them right, and I've done every trick under the sun to "quiet" your lifters from add this to add that.  Partsouq is interesting.  I'm not sure I know how to enter the code for my 2000 Gen 2.5.  I entered "V45W" and 3500/LONG WAGON - LS,4FA/T FED".  Beats the heck out of me if that is what I have.  Any of you all know what the code is for my vehicle?  I also plan to ask the Ninja Performance guys, but they seem to have parts for 6G72.  I think I have a 6G74, if that makes a difference.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 07:56:31 AM »
I went with cheapies..   they tick for a half second on cold start and then go silent.   I figure so does my other truck since the day I bought it brand new,  no harm no problem. 

Didn't even go to any extreme lengths in trying to prime them, I just put them in a little foam cup of MMO and shook it a little before popping them into the rocker arms & sealing them in with a Presidential Condom for install.    For what it's worth I run "ordinary" (as in, not high mileage, not racing, not any other specialized marketing statements) 5W30 synthetic and typically without any additives.    Sometimes MMO if I suspect a problem with dirt, varnish or air where it doesn't belong.

I'm pretty sure the 6g72 SOHC and 5g74 SOHC use the same lifters - if only because product descriptions for lifters like these say they do both:  https://amzn.to/2udlJdo

evomaki

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »
Shovel,

Here is the weird thing.  My lifters sound great for the first 5 minutes, maybe as long as 10 if it is a cold day, only then do they start to tick.  That is so weird.  I now have 15w-40 Rotel in the thing, but ticked with other oils similarly.  I'm in Atlanta so not awful cold weather.  Just annoys me to have the thing tick. 

evomaki

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 01:12:46 PM »
Makes me wonder if it is an oil pressure thing.  If the dashboard gauge is to be believed, I get just about 60 psi at revs (say around 2,500 to 3,000) closer to 30 psi at idle.  Is that within spec?  Thanks,

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »
If air or gack is causing the tick, light viscosity is a whole lot more likely to move that along than thick viscosity.