Author Topic: 4wd flashing on 4H  (Read 1631 times)

Kaioken

• Hi guys, its me Jay
4wd flashing on 4H
« on: December 17, 2018, 06:01:04 AM »
Good Morning everyone!

On my Ď99 Monty, I am having a different issue in which I havenít found enough information on.  We are all used to the flashing 4wd lights on 2H which I did used to have but thanks to the internet Infound it to be my solenoid by the intake which I replaced. 

My new issue is when I go from 2H to 4H.  The ABS light comes in and then my front wheel light turn on but then it starts to flicker.  As if itís on and then comes off.  Itís not the same flashing I used to have when my solenoid was bad. 

I am kinda stumped on where to start.  If I remember correctly, I did read something about some sensors on top of the transfer case that may require some attention.  Either by cleaning or replacement.  Anyone could elaborate on that?  Something else I should be looking at?
I'm stuck in Florida...for now
1999 Mitsubishi Montero
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: 4wd flashing on 4H
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »
Check the front axle CAD position switch and its wiring.

Also did you change the front diff oil after replacing the solenoids, and inspect it for glitter?

Kaioken

• Hi guys, its me Jay
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
Check the front axle CAD position switch and its wiring.

Also did you change the front diff oil after replacing the solenoids, and inspect it for glitter?

I have changed the gear oil in the diffs and t case.  No, there has been no glittering.  Itís been looking good. 

Iím sorry, but could you elaborate on what the CAD is?  What am I looking for?

Edit;  wait nevermind.  Center axle disconnect.  Ok, I will be checking up on that.  If that is not the issue, what else should I check?
1999 Mitsubishi Montero

Kaioken

• Hi guys, its me Jay
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »
Anymore suggestions?
1999 Mitsubishi Montero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »
Since the ABS is made to change its behavior depending on what 4wd mode you're in,  it's going to produce an ABS fault if it observes speed difference between the front and rear wheel sensors while it thinks you're in 4HLC or 4LLC - as well as other inconsistencies in which switches are open/closed.     

Assuming it's not damaged your shift lever positively engages the transfer case into its various modes but the electronics which are affected by those modes rely on the positions of switches.   They are simple open/close circuits and troubleshooting them can typically be done with visual inspection and a multimeter.

If you've checked the front axle disconnect and the front axle detent switch & wiring, your next step will be to troubleshoot the transfer case switches and their wiring.    The easiest route to that is in the factory service manual - http://mitsubishilinks.com/
You can use the 1998 one for your 99, nothing changed about that. 

Kaioken

• Hi guys, its me Jay
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the information shovel.  Before I went ahead and started to look into the electrical, I found during the visual inspection that the actuator rod was dry, and had some nasty crud and old grease.  I wiped it clean, removed the crud and used some wd40 to clean it off and remove moisture.

I figured it needs some lubrication so I used white lithium grease.  After engaging to 4H from 2H and back, I am not having any issues.  Took several tries.

I donít feel that the white lithium grease is good enough.  This isnít the first time I have had to live this and since I am in Florida, it gets wet under there quite often. 

What have you guys used to lubricate the actuator rod?
1999 Mitsubishi Montero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 11:10:55 PM »
Marine grade bearing grease has always worked for me.  We don't have rust in Arizona,  just the occasional river crossing