Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 1838 times)

na3s

Deleted
« on: December 20, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »
Deleted

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: Fumoto Oil Drain Valves?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 07:37:20 PM »
I use one on my Gen 2.5 Montero - it's a good product, it works, and I have 0 worries about it on or off road.     

Before I had it I also felt a little concern because adding complexity to a vehicle is rarely a good idea - after actually having it in there,  using it - it's a non-issue.   This thing isn't going to get hit off road and it's not going to fail. 

To muddy the water a little - I actually would rather NOT have it for one reason alone:   I'd rather have a magnetic drain plug.   Can't really have both.

The reason I have it is to make engine oil changes more convenient with the Adventure Driven Design "missing link" skidplate - that skidplate covers the transmission and rear of the engine completely so it would be necessary to remove the skidplate each time I want to change the oil.      I put a lot of miles on this vehicle and I don't stretch out oil change intervals so that would be at least 3 times per year,  or almost 2x that many this year (did some big road trips) 

The specific model I use is F106N - it has a hose nipple on it, so I can poke a little length of hose onto it to drain cleanly past the skidplate into a drain pan - or even straight into a sufficiently sized bottle.     

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:10:53 PM »
With the magnetic drain plug they do grow a little beard and I take it as fact that anything stuck to the magnet cannot cause wear in the engine - and feeling the dust with my fingers can give me maybe some early warning that I have a problem.   Though it might be too late to do anything if I feel texture..

There are long skinny magnets made to stick inside the middle of an oil filter... Reusable that way.    Or maybe a couple tiny neodymium magnets could be poked up into the oil pan through the drain hole.

For now I just have the fumoto and a supposedly efficient oil filter.  That's probably fine.

Mitch

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 10:18:06 AM »
Shovel, would you use it if you didn't have the ADD skid plate?  I like the functionality of these, but have been scared off by having a potential 2" fulcrum hanging down.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 12:15:54 PM »
If I didn't have the skidplate I'd keep using the magnetic drain plug because of the magnet. 

But regarding its vulnerability... it's kinda way up there above the crossmember;   I'm not going to call it a 0% liability but it's a really low one.   I'd feel completely safe using a Fumoto without the ADD transmission skidplate.     

DezRacer25

• Roamer!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 12:29:40 PM »
I have been using them for 20+ years never had a problem on 3 different vehicles all 4X4. They are great for keeping the mess off your skid plates.
Do it today for tomorrow it will be illegal!

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 08:07:10 AM »
I have one on my black 95 SR. Very handy. Slow to drain. I use their locking clip, too.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero