Author Topic: Fumoto Oil Drain Valves?  (Read 192 times)

na3s

• '87 D50 TurboDiesel/5MT/4x4 Project
    • View Profile
Fumoto Oil Drain Valves?
« on: December 20, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »
Has anyone used a Fumoto Valve?

http://fumotousa.com/

They're seemingly well regarded online, made in Japan, and strike me as really handy, especially since I've a brand new motor I'll likely be changing the oil in pretty often as it's broken in.

The sheer convenience, ability to drain the oil when it's still hot and without making a mess or contending with skid plates/etc, reducing the likelihood of cross threading or stripping the oil pan, and the ability to change the oil seemingly anywhere with a piece of tubing routed to a milk/water jug while on extended trips all seem like big pluses.

However, it's addition undoubtedly opens the door to more complications, risks, and problems than a normal drain bolt, with potentially massive, if not catastrophic, consequences if it fails and the engine has a large and sudden oil loss.

The 'SX' models, with the ability to orient the drain barb in any direction, look like the best option and would be pretty well protected from any damage on my '87 D50.

I haven't handled one myself so am not convinced the 'locking clip' they offer would be secure enough, although there are a lot of accounts online of people running them for 100s of 1000s of miles in pretty rough conditions without issue. I had the thought of drilling the release lever and securing it with a bit of safety wire as secondary insurance.

Anyone have any direct experience, good or bad, with these?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Re: Fumoto Oil Drain Valves?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 07:37:20 PM »
I use one on my Gen 2.5 Montero - it's a good product, it works, and I have 0 worries about it on or off road.     

Before I had it I also felt a little concern because adding complexity to a vehicle is rarely a good idea - after actually having it in there,  using it - it's a non-issue.   This thing isn't going to get hit off road and it's not going to fail. 

To muddy the water a little - I actually would rather NOT have it for one reason alone:   I'd rather have a magnetic drain plug.   Can't really have both.

The reason I have it is to make engine oil changes more convenient with the Adventure Driven Design "missing link" skidplate - that skidplate covers the transmission and rear of the engine completely so it would be necessary to remove the skidplate each time I want to change the oil.      I put a lot of miles on this vehicle and I don't stretch out oil change intervals so that would be at least 3 times per year,  or almost 2x that many this year (did some big road trips) 

The specific model I use is F106N - it has a hose nipple on it, so I can poke a little length of hose onto it to drain cleanly past the skidplate into a drain pan - or even straight into a sufficiently sized bottle.     

na3s

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
Valid point regarding the loss of a magnet via the thread in plug.

I've seen powerful rare earth magnets applied to oil pans and oil filter housings. While they've always struck me as something of a semi snake oil solution in search of a problem, I also can't really see any particular risk or downside to their use.

Are the levers on the Fumotos stainless or ferrous?

I wonder if a rare earth magnet could be oriented against the oil pan such that it also magnetizes the Fumoto valve via the lever...

I also wonder if the need for a magnetic plug wouldn't be minimized by the ability to drain the oil while still hot via the Fumoto, with more particulates suspended before it's had a chance to settle as the motor/oil cools.

I know that draining oil while its still hot is massively beneficial on the air cooled motorcycles I play with, which rely on frequently changed and super clean oil to prevent top end/cam/lobe failure at high rpm.

Overall, I'm still intrigued. Having just bought a brand new motor, I've an opportunity to be super regimented and ensure its properly and regularly serviced with high quality fluids from the jump. It seems the Fumoto might make that a bit easier, especially when those intervals land on longer trips when I don't have access to my shop/etc....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:45:52 PM by na3s »

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 09:10:53 PM »
With the magnetic drain plug they do grow a little beard and I take it as fact that anything stuck to the magnet cannot cause wear in the engine - and feeling the dust with my fingers can give me maybe some early warning that I have a problem.   Though it might be too late to do anything if I feel texture..

There are long skinny magnets made to stick inside the middle of an oil filter... Reusable that way.    Or maybe a couple tiny neodymium magnets could be poked up into the oil pan through the drain hole.

For now I just have the fumoto and a supposedly efficient oil filter.  That's probably fine.

na3s

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »
I will have to modify the pick up and swap oil pans for the rear sump version off my 2.6 to fit the front diff anyway; as Jeff documented:

http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/39/main/128762/type/thread.html

It would be easy enough to place a few powerful magnets in the bottom of the pan at that time, or even weld in a separate bung for a magnetic plug, to be removed once the oil has been fully drained via the Fumoto every few changes...

Mitch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:18:06 AM »
Shovel, would you use it if you didn't have the ADD skid plate?  I like the functionality of these, but have been scared off by having a potential 2" fulcrum hanging down.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 12:15:54 PM »
If I didn't have the skidplate I'd keep using the magnetic drain plug because of the magnet. 

But regarding its vulnerability... it's kinda way up there above the crossmember;   I'm not going to call it a 0% liability but it's a really low one.   I'd feel completely safe using a Fumoto without the ADD transmission skidplate.     

DezRacer25

• Roamer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 12:29:40 PM »
I have been using them for 20+ years never had a problem on 3 different vehicles all 4X4. They are great for keeping the mess off your skid plates.
Do it today for tomorrow it will be illegal!