Author Topic: Front Lockers  (Read 285 times)

twisterad3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Front Lockers
« on: January 08, 2019, 08:38:43 PM »
Since I'm about ready to swap to 4.9's into my 97 Montero SR, I'm contemplating the "while I'm in there..." option to add a front locker.
It seems like mechanical lockers such as Lokka or Aussie lockers are favored... Or maybe ARB's.. But I'm curious if anyone has actual experience with a Harrop ELocker?
I would really like a selectable locker vs a mechanical one (it's my "daily" driver). I'm really not a huge fan of ARB's since I've wheeled with 4 people that have them and at none of them have had fully operational ARB's.

The cost of an Aussie Locker looks attractive because of it's $319 price point. (close to $500 after you factor manual hubs).
The Harrop will cost around $1400 when it's all said an done. Obviously that's a big discrepancy in pricing. I think I'm okay with it for selectable.
What do you guys use for your fronts?
Those that use Aussie and ARB or TRE's, how do you like them?

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Front Lockers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:57:33 AM »
 I have an ARB and it is bad ass, nothing but reliable. The issues with ARB's are installer related, you won't find a better selectable locker and parts availability to boot. The Harrop is the same way, if it has issues it's typically how it was installed (it's an Eaton, my friend is an engineer there) the flaw with the Harrop is that it disengages when you reverse or roll back for a second. The other issue is that Eaton does not support that design even though they make it, you have to go through Harrop in Australia. I realize that ARB parts also come from Australia however the Montero locker shares common parts with some of the American truck lockers so if something does get stuffed you'll have new parts in days not weeks or months.
 I have also owned a full Detroit front locker, same principal of the Aussie but stronger and near silent engagement. Pretty good once you learn how to wrangle the things, Aussie and Lokka are very loud. They bang and pop so it's something you'll have to get used to.

Matt Funk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:04:15 AM »
If I was super cool I would have an ARB, but I don’t. I have an Aussie. Mine does not seem to be loud “Mr. Poopypants”. Although I am hard of hearing. I think it works good. I also read it will place up to 90% of the power displaced to the front wheels to the wheel with least traction. Seems nice since one wheel is usually in the air. Nothing has broken as of yet. 96 LS turned LSR. 4.6 rear air locker 100 cv axles 3.0 engine 33’s on the feet’s. That being said, I just installed a transfer case with low low gears in it. That is just sick! Thank you Ernest. Hopefully the cv axles will continue to hold?.
 PS. Toasty and Ernest are my idols!

twisterad3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 04:24:51 PM »
Thanks for the response guys. I really value the input.
Toasty, you bring up such a good point about support. It would be nice to acutally be able to get SOMETHING I would need from a 4wheel part!
As much as I've been hesitant about ordering an air locker, the ARB air compressor on board should fill my tires faster than my Kobalt compressor... and it's one less thing to have to remember to pack if it's mounted.
Where did you mount your compressor Toasty?

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:49:01 AM »
PA_JERO and I have them mounted under the hood behind the air box. I have ABS and he doesn't so he has the larger compressor.

that_guy_eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile

that_guy_eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:17:29 PM »

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 10:55:51 PM »
That front Detroit should have been mine, now that I have a rear!

;)
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

twisterad3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 11:30:06 AM »
Update: Ended up putting an order in for the ARB's.
I didn't realize this, but I'm apparently going for a "serious wheeling" build. :-D