Author Topic: WTS: 1998 Montero Gen 2.5 - Black Betty  (Read 155 times)

SONICMASD

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
WTS: 1998 Montero Gen 2.5 - Black Betty
« on: January 15, 2019, 12:22:29 AM »
Yes, I know I'll probably regret doing this but I'm selling my beloved 1998 to finance the Gen3 life.

My entire ownership, build, and adventure story with this awesome rig can be found here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/sonicmasds-98-montero-ls-build-adventure-thread-black-betty.162425/

I know this is a lot more than we normally see Monteros go for but if you do the math you'll see this is a great deal that gets you one of the most cared for and loved Monteros in the country. Nowadays, IF you're able to find a clean, rust-free Gen2.5 it's going to cost around $3,500-$4k (and going to need at least $1,000 in maintenance to bring up to spec.) Just in 4x4 upgrade parts cost alone I've got over $6000 in this rig. So just those two things alone are worth the price I'm selling the rig for and when you factor in maintenance parts, labor, and the labor to install the upgrades, I've got over $13k into this beauty.

This rig is one of those Monteros that will run forever, don't let the mileage scare you. I would trust this vehicle to get me coast to coast before any of my other, much newer, vehicles. You can see by the build thread that I have always used good parts, OEM most of the time, and with a lot of attention to detail. Most of the work was either done by myself or by Arizona's foremost Montero ASE Master Tech & Enthusiast, Ernest Paddock​. He was also the previous owner of this vehicle so it's had a great ownership history for many years.

Specs:
1998 Montero LS
216,000 Miles - 3.5L V6

Upgrades:
4.90 Gears
Rear Air Locker from an SR - Able to be turned on in any transfer case setting.
OME Suspension: HD Rear Coils & Torsion Bars
Trail Gear Tacoma 67" Rock Sliders Professionally welded to frame
JAOS Brush Guard & Front Skid (Ladder will be going on my Gen3 and is not included)
Garvin Wilderness Roof Rack (Jeep Liberty model)
AISIN Manual Hubs
15x8 Alloy Wheels with 33/12.50R15 BFG KO2 tires with only 16,000 miles on them and lifetime road hazard warranty at Discount/America's Tire.
Spare tire is a Goodyear MTR with Kevlar with very good tread
ADD Kingpin Idler Arm Upgrade
ADD Transmission Skid Plate
Lightforce Striker 170 Offroad Lights
Custom Recovery Point on Rear Bumper
Custom Steering Damper
Snorkel
The best Gen2.5 Seats ever - Manual, Bouncy, Cloth, Heated
OEM Mitsubishi High Output Alternator
Custom Shade Screens made for all windows
Custom Magnetic Bug Screens made for rear sliding windows
Custom First Aid/Tool Bag mount - Also included is a 100% COMPLETE factory toolkit - very rare
Inclinometer and Roll Gauges
Interior Ceiling Basket
Custom Sleeping Platform which I've used a bunch of times, allows for a full size mattress and takes just seconds to fold out and set up. (I have the 3rd row seats as well and they will be included)
Class III Hitch with Trailer Brake controller installed
Rear Sway Bar is removed for more flex but is included with purchase
JVC stereo head unit with bluetooth and handsfree mic

Maintenance (too much to list here but here are the major items, I have a spreadsheet that has everything though)

Spark Plugs, Valve Covers, Cam Seals, Crank Seal, & Valve Stem Seals done around 160k-170k
Timing Belt Job, updated Crankbolt & Washer, OEM Radiator refreshed, and Coolant done at 207k, OEM Thermostat at 214k
All 3 drive belts at 207k
Transmission Fluid & Filter  at 200k
Fuel Filter at 200k
Whiteball 4x4 shifter at 200k
Tie Rods & Idler Arm at 200k
Radiator Hoses at 200k
Diff & Transfer Case Fluids at 202k
New Positive Battery Terminal & Group 27 Battery with 5 year warranty at 216k

Cons:
- Rocker damage on passenger side from previous owner wheeling before sliders were installed.
- Front fenders have been hammered/rolled and front bumper cap cut a bit to clear 35s (by previous owner) but I'll include replacement fenders (just need to be painted before install because they are solid black instead of black sea green pearl).
- UCA bushings should be replaced
- Dents in rear bumper from offroading
- Rear brakes squeak sometimes, pads and rotors are good, calipers look good and have been greased - I think a dust shield is rubbing on the rotor a little.
- A serpentine belt squeals at start up sometimes

Happy to pick you up at the Phoenix airport if you want to do a fly in and drive home.

IMG_0056
IMG_9175
IMG_9754
IMG_4415e
IMG_4007
IMG_5458
IMG_5088
log1
log2

bpw

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: WTS: 1998 Montero Gen 2.5 - Black Betty
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:27:02 PM »
Am I missing it or do you not have an asking price listed?

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: WTS: 1998 Montero Gen 2.5 - Black Betty
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 07:21:55 AM »
He already sold it, i believe it went for $8500