Author Topic: New to Me 1994 Montero SR  (Read 3257 times)

radar56

• I'm new here!
New to Me 1994 Montero SR
« on: January 15, 2019, 08:31:13 AM »
Picked up a 1994 Mitsu Montero SR yesterday.  105k and minimal rust, which is huge up in MN.  Working on getting her a runner again, been sitting in heated storage for 10 years...  Vale stem seals, timing belt, all new fluids etc...

While digging into her last night there is a code 32 for the ABS.  I dug down and was trying to find the G-Sensor and here is what I found under the center console.  I think the G-Sensor is missing...  What about the other connectors?

Also found the original tool kit is all intact, the 5 year old thought that was pretty cool.  I thought it was cool that the flashlight still had the battery isolator paper still in it.

-Adam

1994 Montero SR
-Torsion Bar Crank and OME Rear Springs
-33x12.50r15
2002 F250 7.3 Powerstroke
2008 Nissan Pathfinder (Wife's Beater)
-Trying to convince her to let me lift it...
Multiple other toys for me and the two boys...

Crumb

Re: New to Me 1994 Montero SR
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 09:01:43 AM »
Good skore! The other plugs may be, seat heater, adjustable shocks, rear HVAC and another one I haven't figured out yet. Obviously if your truck wasn't equipped they will not be connected to anything.

radar56

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:17:16 AM »
Also thought of this one, does the rear locker not work when there is an ABS fault?  I was playing for a minute while moving it from the trailer to the garage and couldn't get it to engage.
-Adam

1994 Montero SR
-33x12.50r15

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
I believe that is correct.  The locker's computer announces locker status to the ABS and it also works to prevent engagement while you are spinning wheels so it doesn't shear its teeth off - so it needs wheel sensor data.

I've had one donor diff that had been operated manually at the wrong time before I got it..  all the locker teeth were in a pile at the bottom of the axle.  With great power comes great responsibility!  :D

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:52:17 AM »
I believe that is correct.  The locker's computer announces locker status to the ABS and it also works to prevent engagement while you are spinning wheels so it doesn't shear its teeth off - so it needs wheel sensor data.

I've had one donor diff that had been operated manually at the wrong time before I got it..  all the locker teeth were in a pile at the bottom of the axle.  With great power comes great responsibility!  :D

Any fun tips to bypass that "feature?"

My truck does not currently have ABS functional and it is unlikely to have it again in my ownership.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 12:22:51 PM »
You can just wire a switch to the locker air pump and wire a lamp to the engagement switch in the rear diff.    I would urge you to study the wiring diagrams in the FSM and do clean work as this is a safety risk if  poor workmanship leads to an engagement or disengagement when you don't intend. 

One of the guys on Facebook is selling 3d printed switch adapters that fit modern rocker switches in Montero switch panels cleanly.     You might be able to find a rocker switch that can do two or three colors of illumination - one just to see it, one to indicate the compressor is energized and a third color to indicate the locker is physically engaged in the rear axle. 

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 02:10:28 PM »
This is only a concern when trying to engage or disengage the locker when you're not at a full stop, right?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 02:35:53 PM »
It's also a concern of leaving it on when it's not needed... Like perhaps for several hours on the freeway.   (Someone did that, I won't shame them by name)

These lockers really are only intended to be engaged for the duration of a severe obstacle then disengaged.   They won't suffer undue wear if you use them basically the way the computer allows (only engage while stopped,  disengage prior to going fast, don't use as a permanent replacement for 4wd) so if you and anyone else who will operate the vehicle understands the machine no problem exists.     

People who borrow cars somehow always manage to find the most mind-blowing ways to screw up.. maybe a two factor switch is appropriate if someone else ever drives it.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 04:23:59 PM »
Ok yeah so i use them right.  Woot.

Nobody else who drives it is aware what a locker is, let alone if this truck has one or not.  :P

bpw

• I'm new here!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 12:23:29 PM »
When I put the locker in my truck I was able to splice a couple wires at the computer so I can now use the locker in 2wd but retained the other safety lock-outs that prevent engagement at speed etc.

Don't remember the wire colors anymore, but you just need to send power to the wire that senses the 4wd engagement.  Pretty sure it was ~5volt so I pulled the power from one of the other wires going onto the computer.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »
Beautiful truck, great score! On the topic of ABS, I've got a 99...

I've had the 4WD fuse blow and cause the ABS light to come on and the 4wd indicator lights to go out.

I've just recently had a passenger side wheel speed sensor fail due to damage, this threw the anti-lock light, but 4wd continued to work and my locker continues to work.

Just posting some of my observations regarding ABS and 4WD

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 10:29:50 AM »

Nobody else who drives it is aware what a locker is, let alone if this truck has one or not.  :P

I'd be most worried about the people who don't know!       

"Your back door was unlocked so I turned on the rear locker switch so it wouldn't fly open on the highway"    :-X

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »

I'd be most worried about the people who don't know!       

"Your back door was unlocked so I turned on the rear locker switch so it wouldn't fly open on the highway"    :-X

My back door lock works about 30% of the time.

Wife hasn't managed to break the truck in 3 years, we're probably ok.  If she does, i throw it away for even cheaper and someone on here gets a badass pile of parts. :)

radar56

• I'm new here!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 09:22:38 AM »
Update on the '94.  Wanted to do valve stem seals before I started driving it.  Ended up pulling the cylinder heads to make the job easier and I had some concerns with 50% leak down on one of the cylinders.  Starting to go together now.

Some video of the ATF I drained from the truck after it has been outside here in MN for two weeks.  It was -32 when I left for work this AM...
https://youtu.be/KJzt6wxcENQ
-Adam

1994 Montero SR
-33x12.50r15