Author Topic: tperkins' 1999 Pajero Exceed  (Read 1331 times)

tperkins

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
tperkins' 1999 Pajero Exceed
« on: January 18, 2019, 11:41:00 AM »
Hey Gang,

Be forewarned this won't be much of a build thread. Apart from maintenance, I don't have many big plans for it. Maybe some HD springs in rear, crank the torsions a bit more and some 285/75/16's, rock sliders. This is my daily driver / hunting, fishing, towing ATV vehicle so I like to keep weight down, fuel efficiencies up.

I also own an evo 6, and just recently purchased an evo 5 for a project car. If you're interested you can follow along on those on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/travisonfire18/?hl=en

I will start at the start!

Prior to this, I had basically always DD'd Tacomas, but the first gens haven't dropped in price in like 8 years, and I just couldn't justify the cost and then being stuck with rotty frames.

Most recent Tacoma, I had it for 6 years, 160,000km (from 120,000 to 280,000), was a great truck.

Unfortunately, frame rotted out. I did my best to get Toyota Canada to replace it through the recall, but was unsuccessful. Supposedly the recall was two stages, first stage was an anti corrosive spray, second stage was replacing frame if it still rusted following anti corrosion spray. Now, I got it 6 years prior and when I did the frame had been sprayed, unfortunately I had no records of this and Toyota Canada conveniently keeps their records for only 6 years. Even when the service manager and shop foreman signed off that the frame was sprayed, Toyota Canada wouldn't honour the recall. I don't blame them, as it is quoted as like a 60 hour job plus the cost of the new frame, but if that had happened I would have kept the truck forever.

Anyone who has had a first gen Tacoma likely has encountered the same thing, and I would say monthly someone would try and buy it off me at a car wash or gas station, or at least insist I take their number if it was ever for sale. SO, I called my friend who is a welder / fabricator at a performance shop in BC, told him about the frame and the whole story with Toyota Canada, and he flew up the next week and drove it home. He cut out the rot, welded it up and strengthened it probably stronger than new.

That's when I started looking at trying to import a Toyota Hilux, and after losing three at auctions, on a whim I searched for Pajeros, found this one, thought it looked cool, threw out a bid which was 3-4k less than I was bidding on Hiluxes and won it.

Auction sheet:

Auction pictures:

The following week I received pictures from my exporter, of the hundred I uploaded 67 to my old flickr:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmr7jZu1

Next chapter: After it got off the boat.

tperkins

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: tperkins' 1999 Pajero Exceed
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:23:13 AM »
After a long wait, it finally arrived, but not before some maintenance items:

Inland shipping was delayed due to weather, so it got off the truck in Edmonton absolutely filthy. First thing was to go to the car wash.

Going over it when it arrived, had some neat stuff:

Rear heater

Sweet package in the glove box from the old owner, including all the shaken inspections to date, spare keys, touch up paint. That was nice to find, vehicle was well cared for:

Fun little things, like this little flashlight:

Next day I got the daytime running lights wired up and brought it for the OOP inspection, which it failed due to cracked tires,

Luckily Mitsubishi 4x4 club of Calgary had some very nice members, one in Edmonton which leant me a set of tires, so I could pass the OOP, and go hunting.

Borrowed some tires, passed the OOP, put my old tires back on, and went hunting:

I really wasn't worried about the tires that came with it, they had lots of tread left, the cracks were very minor, and I had my friend of mine who has worked at a tire store for 13 years look at them, he also wasn't worried. Before the shop even told me the tires were cracking, they had a new set priced out and ready to send. I think they were just trying to make a buck off me, to be honest.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:24:47 AM by tperkins »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 05:31:30 PM »
Good to see you here Travis. Of course I know the story already, but good to see it all laid out, with updates going forward. WOOHOO! And such a cool truck too!

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 10:38:23 AM »
Nice find! Interested on what it set you back if you dont mind.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »
I just noticed this has the 5spd Jatco auto.  How do you like that? 

Any idea from poking around how hard it would be electrically speaking, to swap that trans into a 4spd auto truck?
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

tperkins

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:41:15 AM »
Good to see you here Travis. Of course I know the story already, but good to see it all laid out, with updates going forward. WOOHOO! And such a cool truck too!

Thanks!

Nice find! Interested on what it set you back if you dont mind.

It was 320,000 yen car price at auction (in Japan). So, you can work that out for imported cost to you if you'd like.

I just noticed this has the 5spd Jatco auto.  How do you like that? 

Any idea from poking around how hard it would be electrically speaking, to swap that trans into a 4spd auto truck?

I couldn't say for certain, but I wouldn't expect it to be too easy. Depends on if you needed extra wires in the trans loom, or you could just plug in the new trans ECU which comes with this box (mine is in a plastic case under the driver's side (RH) foot well), how the trans ECU is tied in with the engine's, etc. I haven't poked around a 4 speed so couldn't tell you how different it looks. Really, this is the only gen 2.5 I have ever seen IRL. Also, the shift levers for the auto trans and t case might be flipped.

tperkins

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »
After passing the OOP, I ordered some winter tires in preparation for winter! (265/75/16)

First chicken in the Paj

Then the snow came!

Activate hover-truck

Mounted and studded tires

Factory size / offset for those wondering

Then I pulled it into friend's shop and removed the monsoon guards. Honestly, this is maybe my favorite thing I have done to the truck. They were God awful to see through, especially hunting. They were always directly mid-vision, frosted up they were even more blurred. You can also see how much I raised the front with the torsions, just to have it sitting more level. On that note, I will be ordering some HD rear coils, and raising the front a little more. I still have lots of space before hitting the bump stops at this point in both directions.

tperkins

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 11:37:03 AM »
Since getting the truck, the coolant was pretty gross and rusty. I flushed it with distilled water and coolant flush a few times, just with draining, filling, and adding the flushing additive and driving around for a couple days. In total, I probably drained the coolant / flushed the rad through 14-15 times.

Around the 10th time, I pulled the thermostat out, and cut the actual internals out, then re-installed and drove around for about an hour with no thermostat, just flushing with distilled water and coolant flush additive. Following that I flushed with distilled water a few more times and filled it up. I was pretty concerned with the coolant that came in it from Japan freezing, as it only tested to -20 c. Should be good now.

Also replaced the expansion tank, which was gross as well.

At this point I replaced the front and rear diff fluids with redline gear oil, gl4 in t case, gl5 in diffs iirc, and replaced the trans fluid. The fluid that came out was actually pretty good, so I drained it, filled it with fresh fluid, drove it 1000km, and drained and filled again.

(In this picture I still haven't gotten around to replacing the fuel pump or spark plugs, I was waiting for two little micro filters and o rings for the GDI high pressure fuel system.)

During all the idling, flushing, etc. I used some of this to clean out the h-vac system.

Just for fun, local tire warehouse which supplies zestino tires was having a blow-out sale of their 180TW stock, since they are changing to a 200TW for classing purposes. These are pretty sticky tires, and they were selling them for 75$ a tire, 65$ if you bought 8 or more. So I got two sets for 270$ each. Pajero fits 8 tires easy, could likely have fit 14.

I also picked up a full sized spare for the Pajero summer tires. Unsure between ko2's and km3's right now. I was sold on the km3's until I found out they no longer have white raised lettering. KM3's would be great a few times a year when I am really in a pickle, KO2's would be more reasonable the rest of the time. Highway driving, etc. I had a set of km2's on my Tacoma that were great in mud, and lasted 110,000km.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 12:27:22 PM »
Can i buy the monsoon guards from you?  :)

tperkins

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 08:04:58 PM »
Can i buy the monsoon guards from you?  :)

promised to pajevo already, but he is stuck in Calgary bubble and hasn't picked them up.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 07:58:34 AM »
 I know i've asked you this before, but those didn't happen to have a part number on them or anything right? 

Holler if Pajevo can't/doesn't snag them, but no worries, glad someone in the community is getting them either way.  :)

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 01:42:52 PM »
 Such a bad ass machine.

tperkins

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 05:04:21 PM »
I know i've asked you this before, but those didn't happen to have a part number on them or anything right? 

Holler if Pajevo can't/doesn't snag them, but no worries, glad someone in the community is getting them either way.  :)

I will double check but I don't remember seeing anything. Seriously, they are terrible for seeing haha. I am not that tall, 6' and they are directly in my vision all the time. I liked how they looked outwardly, but functionally they were horrible.

tperkins

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 08:18:23 PM »
Since getting vehicle, the driver rear window has never rolled up right.

Ordered a new motor and regulator for same year Montero. Was super wrong, motor was wrong, regulator bolted in but where it bolted to the track was wrong. So, live and learn. Main issue was that the Pajero connector had like 6 wires going to the motor, Montero had 2. I think it has to do with auto up/down feature from driver switch. Anyways, couldn't find the correct motor and regulator together, but upon removal I found the cable had fallen off the track. I went ahead and just ordered a new regulator online and swapped it onto the old motor. For about 4 months I drove around with no door card on there and some vice grips holding the window up.

So, this was nice to see!

Now, that said! It still doesn't work properly. If you auto up/down from the front it doesn't know where it is. It will go all the way up, decide it is probably crushing someone's arm, then goes down 4". I have looked on the motor for a limiting switch of some sort and found nothing. The montero FSM shows a switch that actually makes contact and you adjust the span. Couldn't find that. In the past I have seen buttons, go up, press and hold, go down press and hold. Viola! Knows its new life. After that failed, I was hoping that if you plugged in the door switch it would learn itself, but that didn't work. I also was hoping using the switches would make it learn. Also didn't work. In the end I just put it back together and it is what it is.

Next thing was to sort out the sound system, which obviously needed some help:

Rear was easy

Fronts were a little more complicated, just happened that these speakers with external crossovers were on sale, so after humming and hawwing about how to mount it for a while I just mounted them in the door.

tperkins

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 08:59:18 PM »
Next was dreaded shifter bushing!

First was Amayama order with things. (yes, that is a new OEM cup holder.. yes, it did break within two months)

Next was to replace the shifter, and those of you here that have done it can see that I removed the wrong thing. I got all 3 nuts off and plop! One stud fell into the top of the transfer case.

Guess which one fell

Luckily, it was sitting in this observation window.

Since I couldn't get a new gasket in time, I ended up cleaning everything and using black oil resistant RTV.

Smashed bushing

New bushing

I still couldn`t figure out how to get it into 4LLC, until I asked around and found the magic step was to push the shifter down, then frontwards.

Bonus pictures of the rear h-vac control