Author Topic: Project Tomb Raider - 1st Gen - OM617 Conversion  (Read 181 times)

APOS

• View Profile
Project Tomb Raider - 1st Gen - OM617 Conversion
« on: February 09, 2019, 05:55:31 PM »
Hey all, new here to the forum and new to these cool little rigs. Sooo.. I picked up an 89' V6 Raider with a seized motor (originally as a parts rig for my SWB 88' Montero, but not anymore). It has been dubbed "Project Tomb Raider". The plan is to stick the indestructible OM617 Mercedes diesel into it for reliability and longevity. The vision is more of an overlanding / expedition build that we can take out for extended periods of time and get us through some rough areas (we do a lot of remote rock hounding, photography etc).

So here is what I'm thinking:

Engine / Transmission
  • OM617 Turbo Diesel
  • Stock AW03-72 Transmission w/ adapter plate

Wheels / Tires
  • 15" Steelies
  • 31x10.5 Yokohama Geolandars

Suspension
  • 1.25" OME Setup

Body
  • Respray with undecided color
  • Bedline / Rockguard lower body
  • JW Speaker LED headlight upgrade
  • Custom front winch bumper
  • Custom rear bumper w/ spare tire carrier & rotopax system
  • Drip Rail Roof Rack for gear

Currently I have sourced a donor Mercedes for the OM617 and thanks to the Facebook group, I have sourced the required adapter plate, I just need to pull the trigger. I encourage constructive criticism and any insight from those who have gone before me. Thanks all.

johneric

• Should have made that left...
    • View Profile
Re: Project Tomb Raider - 1st Gen - OM617 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 04:11:51 PM »
glad you decided to resurrect this one! easy upgrades i can recommend: junkyard gen 2 SR springs in the back give a little lift and have better response than stock springs; bilstein 4600s have been a fantastic improvement on and off the trail for me; if you can find the LSD out of a starion, it bolts up to replace your open front diff on your rig - grrrrrreat on the trail in the event you want more than open diff but don't want a locker up there; gen 2 trailing arms are regarded as more substantial than stock - another easy junkyard pull.

keep the pics coming - that raider red is pretty iconic.

cheers - john
1989 Montero SP
3.0L V6 SWB

APOS

• View Profile
Re: Project Tomb Raider - 1st Gen - OM617 Conversion
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:33:28 PM »
John thanks for the info. I will see what I can get my hands on :) Everything helps. I will keep the thread updated as I get things rolling. Lots of pictures to come!