Author Topic: 2.6 SWB/Raider 3 Core Radiator Questions  (Read 180 times)

na3s

• '87 D50 TurboDiesel/5MT/4x4 Project
    • View Profile
2.6 SWB/Raider 3 Core Radiator Questions
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:35:00 PM »
I'm looking for a radiator for my diesel swap, and wanting as much cooling as possible, have done a fair bit of research...

It seems the OEM 3 core radiators found on the 2.6 SWB/Raiders are the best bet. I'm fortunate to have an old school radiator shop a half mile from my house so will have whatever I end up with, along with my heater core, fully flushed/rodded out.

My questions surround the various configurations these 3 core radiators were offered in.

Were 3 cores mated solely to 2.6s or are they found with 3.0 SWB/Raiders as well?

When searching on car-part.com there are 'Standard Duty' and 'Heavy Duty' versions listed for 5MTs, is the 3 core considered the 'Heavy Duty'?

I'm making a +/- 2 hour drive to pick up the CAD free MS 4.636 front diff I tracked down tomorrow and am considering an extra half hour drive to see if I can't grab the radiator and shroud out of this '86 SWB/2.6 if it's the unit I want and will justify the extra effort/time.

Were the 2.6 SWB/Raiders offered with autos or are they all 5MT?

Is there a difference in regard to their respective radiators, i.e. will the auto version be a 3 core and/or will it have an integrated transmission cooler?

The listing doesn't identify if it's an auto or manual and the VIN decoder doesn't offer a way to determine; although it's 6th digit being a '4' indicates it's a 'High' trim model, JA4FJ43E0GJ001752.

As always, thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all info and help.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:47:53 PM by na3s »

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: 2.6 SWB/Raider 3 Core Radiator Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »
Autos have trans preheater/coolers in the lower tanks.

4 cylinders are 3 row low efficiency cores and have the lower outlet on the passenger side (like the diesel)

6 cylinders are 2 row high efficiency cores with both outlets on the driver side.

Not sure what they mean by HD but all the 87's should be 3 row because of the lack of V6's back then.

na3s

• '87 D50 TurboDiesel/5MT/4x4 Project
    • View Profile
Re: 2.6 SWB/Raider 3 Core Radiator Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 08:38:00 PM »
Exactly the information I was hoping to glean, thank you very much.

Let's hope the radiator and shroud in that '86 SWB is there and in good shape when I make it to the yard tomorrow.