Author Topic: 94 SR adventure rig build. (this will be a long build)  (Read 299 times)

ragingcedar

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
94 SR adventure rig build. (this will be a long build)
« on: February 24, 2019, 04:47:47 PM »
Just recently bought this 94 SR with a little over 100k on it! Pretty stoked on it and have quite a few ideas and plans. So far I've only done tires (33x12.5R15), LED bulbs in the gauges and HVAC controls, and a GMRS radio. I have a switch pros 9100 that I've started to install but yet to do all the wiring due to not having time and not wanting to work on it in the snow. Sketched up a plan for a drawer system as well and now have to start looking for materials that will fit within my budget and needs. Anyway, on to the pictures!
Montero by ragingcedar, on Flickr

Well that's all for today but there will be more for sure!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Re: 94 SR adventure rig build. (this will be a long build)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »
All that light coming off your dash is going to be a handicap if you're pulling long nights on dark roads with deer and bears loitering around! 

I know it looks cool.. just saying function over form here.   I tried LEDs there too and went immediately back to incandescents except the backlighting.

For the platform in back, if it's of any inspiration I used sand ladders to build a platform and Ikea boxes under it as drawers - the whole mess weighs less than 25lb, sleeps very comfortably and serves a second purpose by keeping the sand ladders secure from sun damage and casual theft.   

Keeping it all feather light and streamlined means better mpg which means longer range and less driver fatigue.   It doesn't look as extreme for the 'grams which may or may not matter depending on one's priorities.

Have you got your timing belt sorted? 

ragingcedar

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 03:00:22 PM »
All that light coming off your dash is going to be a handicap if you're pulling long nights on dark roads with deer and bears loitering around! 

I know it looks cool.. just saying function over form here.   I tried LEDs there too and went immediately back to incandescents except the backlighting.

For the platform in back, if it's of any inspiration I used sand ladders to build a platform and Ikea boxes under it as drawers - the whole mess weighs less than 25lb, sleeps very comfortably and serves a second purpose by keeping the sand ladders secure from sun damage and casual theft.   

Keeping it all feather light and streamlined means better mpg which means longer range and less driver fatigue.   It doesn't look as extreme for the 'grams which may or may not matter depending on one's priorities.

Have you got your timing belt sorted? 

Yeah I get it about the brightness and I might change a few bulbs back to stock. I like the brightness of some but I had a long drive the other night in bad snow and there were some that were too bright. Overall though I like the lights at least the backlighting like you were saying. That's not a bad idea how you set it up! Timing belt, crank bolt, valve seals, lifters ect have all been done which is nice. Couple things I need to take care of with suspension but, it's really in great condition. Already shown its worth in the dump of snow we got here.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 04:58:51 PM »
I did mine in red LEDs for the night vision/fatigue reason.  I find it less fatiguing than the oem bulbs. 

Just a friendly Top Tip from Yo Boi.

OEM.
2016-01-19_09-39-34 by concealer404, on Flickr

After LEDs taken with a potato.
2019-02-26_07-05-20 by concealer404, on Flickr

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:07:37 PM by concealer404 »
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

ragingcedar

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:49:52 AM »
I did mine in red LEDs for the night vision/fatigue reason.  I find it less fatiguing than the oem bulbs. 

Just a friendly Top Tip from Yo Boi.

OEM.
2016-01-19_09-39-34 by concealer404, on Flickr

After LEDs taken with a potato.
2019-02-26_07-05-20 by concealer404, on Flickr

Not a bad idea either! I honestly don't mind the brightness. they do dim a bit and I've had a few long drives so far without it bothering me. If that changes I'll maybe see about doing different bulbs but for now I'm pretty happy with them. Thanks for the input though!