Author Topic: Gen1 shock advice?  (Read 33 times)

GrantCee

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Gen1 shock advice?
« on: March 13, 2019, 01:32:51 PM »
Itís getting time to replace the shocks on my í87 SWB (2.6l w/5spd). Like most rigs, it spends 80% of its time on pavement, the rest of it on gravel, unmaintained, and ďhistoricĒ roads. I donít rock crawl or mud at all. Many of the roads I travel are heavily rutted or washboarded. (Itís the washboard that gives that short wheelbase a rough time!)

Of course everyone suggests KYB Gas-A-Just, but Iíve heard that theyíre on the stiff side. I donít want a firmer ride if that means itís going to be rough or "walk" sideways on the washboard.

Others suggest the Bilstein 4600, but they only make them for the rear (no front models available according to the Bilstein website.) I need front and rear.

Any suggestions (or more feedback on the KYB?)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:37:15 PM by GrantCee »

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Gen1 shock advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:56:10 AM »
I have Tokico Trekmasters on mine, can't report on longevity but i liked them. They were really inexpensive too.

GrantCee

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Gen1 shock advice?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 03:45:28 PM »
I have Tokico Trekmasters on mine, can't report on longevity but i liked them. They were really inexpensive too.

Looks like those are hard to find now; I'm told Tokico is out of the aftermarket business and only sells OEM.

In the meantime, I found the part number for the Bilstein 4600 fronts (for some reason Bilstein thinks they only fit 88-90) so that's the direction I'm going.

Next month, though; I've bought enough parts this month!