Author Topic: ? does a coil rear M. Sport rear axle housing fit under a Gen 2?  (Read 670 times)

KrzyDav

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
A lot of folks seem to be putting 4.9 gears into Gen 2 s, esp.the 2.5.
I want to put whole 9.5 M.S. axle housing in mine.
I don't  have to deal with ABS ring differences, and I think that's why folks swap gears only.
I measured a few years back and can find no reason  It won't fit.
Maybe the angle of the trailing arms  mount is different , maybe not.
Maybe shock mounts are different, maybe not.
Surely someone has tried this by now... Don't let me be the first.
Will It Fit?????

DinoDNA

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: ? does a coil rear M. Sport rear axle housing fit under a Gen 2?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »
I can't confirm that 100%, from what ive read it should be.  But what i can tell you is that youll need the rear driveshaft as well if you currently have the 9" rear.

jaccox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 07:24:25 AM »
Pretty sure it will fit, but to clear up why we do gears vs the whole axle isn't ABS related it's to retain the factory air locker. No 4.90 geared sports were produced in N. America with an air locker (only 4.63 on the early leaf sprung sports pre 2000), so you're left with LSD or open. The gear swap isn't a huge hassle. Literally anyone who has set up a Ford 9" or an old mopar rear 3rd can set up a Mitsu 3rd member in probably less time (no crush washers to mess up with). If you walked into a shop that specialized in setting gears and laid the gen 2.5 3rd member next to a sport 3rd member with some preload shims and printed them off the 12ish pages of FSM instructions I'd bet they could have it done in less than an hour if they really dove into it.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 08:06:45 AM »
 The trailing arms are different but i'm not sure it matters. I have both, maybe i can measure for you and tell you for sure.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 08:09:55 AM »
 For what it's worth, Sports are a cheaper build and assembled in a lesser factory. Having said that, a lot of the Sport 3rd members i've taken apart had too much preload on the pinion bearing and have a roasted pinion bearing (still working) dropping shavings into the diff. It's sort of a good idea to take the things apart and reassemble them into a Montero 3rd.

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »
They had some accidents with LSD equipped sports on the highway when they were new from this.
My name is Lloyd. Cross overs are for chicks, I like my Woman hot and nasty, Pizza,(Courtesy of Pat for 2018) AC/DC and my favorite trails are Hole-N-The-Rock and Fordyce Creek.

1996 Montero, 37" BFG, 4:1 Rocktrac, 4:88, ARB and Factory Lockers, GPS Speedo, SAS
2015 4 Runner TRD Pro Inferno with sliders and a rack
2018 Flame Red Power Wagon. Luxo package and Dual Alternators. Sliders, Extra Skids, wireless remote. What the hell else do you need on a PW?

SD_Montero

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 09:04:02 AM »
For what it's worth, Sports are a cheaper build and assembled in a lesser factory. Having said that, a lot of the Sport 3rd members i've taken apart had too much preload on the pinion bearing and have a roasted pinion bearing (still working) dropping shavings into the diff. It's sort of a good idea to take the things apart and reassemble them into a Montero 3rd.

Would the 4.9 gears from a sport fit into the diffs of a Gen 2 LS? (the smaller diff Than the Sr?)
Thanks

KrzyDav

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 09:53:35 PM »
I think it does. I might go that route. I'd have to take my 3rd into a gear shop to do shims and whatever.
I have a 93 LS rear with the LSD. It's 9" like the 3.0 M.S.
The spring perches on the 00+ 3.0 M.S. are too narrow for the Montero cast iron trailing arms. BUT I just went to my local yard to check out  an AWD 3.5 2003 M.S. ,,, the perches are 60 mm wide just like my LS. It has the 12 bolt 9.5 4.9 axle, but I think it's open. It had a shiney tape type tag with ratio on it,,,I big letter i didn't think to write down, and a red stamp .
I'd like to put that Non Disconect front pumpkin in, But I'm pretty sure it won't fit - it will make driveshaft hit  clutch slave cyl. I think everybody has put these in 2.5s and maybe Gen 1 s with AT.